Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Squirreleggs   Takahiro111   AmbuBadger   Takahiro111   Squirreleggs   Squirreleggs   Squirreleggs   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Squirreleggs
View Profile

Juvenile Brown Anole possibly has MBD

First time on this site-Hello! I Brought hatchling brown anole living in my lanai inside from freezing temps just after Christmas. He is in a habitat that is made of screen and is 4’h x 2’d x 1.5’w. It has a 3’ live palm tree in the center that is potted in all natural pesticide/chemical free soil. There was a 5.0 UVB bulb also a heat lamp at the top and to the side. I have changed the bulb to a 5.0 UVB fluorescent tube in the last few days because I understand they are better. He has been eating gut loaded pin head crickets since he could get them in his mouth. Now larger crickets of course. His symptoms showed up about a week ago. Loss of use in his back legs, no appetite, tremors when he tries to move his legs. I have moved him into a small critter keeper with screen on the top to keep him from climbing and falling in the larger habitat. The screen on top allows the UVB rays through. He also has some plastic leaves for cover. I mist it a couple of times a day and I am keeping his temp at about 90. He has no interest in live crickets but I have gotten him to take some canned crickets if I fillet them and give him the guts. Is there anything else I can be doing for him? I have called everywhere for a vet. The only one I can find that will see him is 40 minutes away and I am not overly confident that they will be of great service. The receptionist asked me if anoles were venomous or if he were aggressive! Huh? He does bite- still this does not make a believer out of me that this very pricey appointment would be helpful to him. Can I pull this little guy out of it without a vet visit? Does this sound like MBD to anyone? I could really use some experienced advice!

02/27/16  02:31pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Squirreleggs   In reference to Message Id: 2317239

No you need to see a vet asap. The condition hit rock bottom when the seizures,lost of usefulness in his legs set in, he needs medical attention

02/27/16  04:08pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Make sure the UVB light has no covering at all, any diffusers will stop the UV he needs-- and this means no screen either. Do you have calcium supplements with vitamin D? You should be feeding crickets dusted with this powder twice a week when healthy, and every day for gravid females. Your anole is also likely to be dehydrated, so mist very often. If he still opens his mouth to you, you can try giving water with a dropper and then food. It’s good that you took the guts out-- any hard shells will be difficult for a dehydrated anole to pass. You could try mixing the supplement powder in water to form a slurry and see if he takes that. I know a vet is best at this point, but I also realize many cannot afford such care or find a qualified vet who can work on something as tiny as an anole. Keep us posted!

02/27/16  08:13pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317243

Unless you want your lizard to get hypercalcemia don’t give calcium EVERYDAY..

02/27/16  09:28pm

Squirreleggs
View Profile

Hi Takahiro111-Thanks so much for your input! So kind of you to help! I will keep the vet appointment scheduled for this week and hope for the best! I hope I can get things turned around for my little guy. It is just starting to warm up enough that he could go back outside soon too : ( Thanks again

02/28/16  02:34pm

Squirreleggs
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317243

Thank you AmbuBadger - I do have a calcium supplement with vitamin D. I am keeping the vet appointment this week. I hope the vet knows more about Anoles than his receptionist does! I appreciate it!

02/28/16  02:43pm

Squirreleggs
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317242

Hi Takahiro111-Thanks so much for your input! So kind of you to help! I will keep the vet appointment scheduled for this week and hope for the best! I hope I can get things turned around for my little guy. It is just starting to warm up enough that he could go back outside soon too : ( Thanks again

PS. Sorry! I replied to MYSELF -well because I am just having that kind of a day!

02/28/16  02:46pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Squirreleggs   In reference to Message Id: 2317260

You’re welcome and I hope everything goes well

02/28/16  04:19pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area