Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AmbuBadger   Chorusfrog   AmbuBadger   Takahiro111   AmbuBadger   Takahiro111   Sparkle51442   Chorusfrog   Takahiro111   AmbuBadger   Takahiro111   Chorusfrog   AmbuBadger   Chorusfrog   BlackBeardDragon  

Member  Message

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

I’m hoping Atrax or any of the other experienced members can chime in here... I have three green and one brown anole. I noticed today that the green guys have a slight flex to their jaw when munching on some mealworms I treated them to, and wondered how much flex is too much-- as in, could this be MBD? I have a male and female together and another male housed with a juvenile day gecko. Both enclosures are screened (humid enough here in Hawaii) and both have heat and UVB lamps. I feed them small meals, usually pinhead crickets or white fly larvae, on a daily basis with small crickets and mealworms every other day. All three anoles are active, appear healthy, have straight tails and proper limbs. Their food gets dusted with Reptivite or Reptocal, and there are no nodules or other signs of growth/deposits on their bodies. All are well-hydrated, their apartments have live plants, and they have no signs of impaction or runny stool. Attached is a pic showing my concern-- it’s hard to see, but you can make out the jaw flexing slightly around the mealworm. All their other meals are smaller or softer, and I have not ton ticked this occurring with the crickets. Am I worrying for nothing?
[URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/InfernoGmbH/media/image_zpsgqkw0iuu.jpeg.html]

[/URL]

02/17/16  03:08pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317056

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

I know I’m not atrax, and someone should check to make sure I’m right or wrong, but I think that it’s normal...not for sure, try sending a P.M. To Takahiro coz he’s really smart about lizards too, he has helped me out a lot. Hope u find the answer!!!

02/17/16  03:24pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317058

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

[url=http://postimg.org/image/4rvlsu6rh/]

[/url]

Another pic. Thanks for the reply, C. Frog-- I think you’re right, they’ve got no other symptoms and they’ve been getting lots of supplements and UVB...

02/17/16  04:46pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317059

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Chorusfrog I’m a girl lol :) but it doesn’t sound like mbd also don’t give too much calcium and as long as he’s healthy no need to worry although if your extremely worried just call your vet. Since you have a uvb light and supplement dust I wouldn’t worry about mbd unless the bulb is old or if its one of the brands that don’t work well. The bulbs I stick too are reptisun,mega ray,and mercury bulbs(large enclosures only)

02/17/16  05:06pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317061

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Awesome, Taka, thanks for the input. I’ve got a Reptisun T8 for the larger enclosure and using compact straight tube, screw base ZooMed bulbs for the smaller ones. Any of you guys on Instagram by chance? My girl and I post tons of pics there. I’m curious to see other setups for anoles.

02/17/16  07:50pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317068

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Awesome just keep an eye out for any red flags like unusual substance in the mouth like pus,blood and swelling etc... I don’t have an instagram account. I don’t own anoles anymore lol my whole trio was adopted by a family of two young kids with the 260 gal cage

02/17/16  09:46pm

Sparkle51442
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317074

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

She’s right . your anole can die. Just saying.

02/18/16  01:53am

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Sparkle51442   In reference to Message Id: 2317083

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

1. Yay I was kinda right!
2. Sorry Takahiro! I didn’t know
3. Sparkle you are not helping... Be nice.

02/18/16  01:32pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317111

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Its okay. The anole looks overall healthy its not gonna die so stop saying stuff like that.....seriously. If he/she spoted a red flag I’m sure he’d seek out for a vet and imma stop there

02/18/16  04:38pm

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317117

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Lol, man, what a bunch of characters... Okay, just Sparkle is. Thanks Taka and C. Frog, good to see an answer that didn’t come from a bored middle school brat.

The only issue with where I live is that there really ain’t a lot of herpatologists here (Hawaii). I found a few vets who would take a look at my anoles and geckos, but they’re not really herp vets. But hell, I’m a paramedic, so I should be able to do something, right? ;)

02/19/16  12:50am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317124

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

There are somethings you can treat at home if caught early like cuts,burns,RIs,missing digits from poor sheds,etc....it’s really necessary only if their is no improvement or it gets worse. But your welcome and don’t hesitate to ask anything. Being a paramedic is actually amazing but it has some pros and cons with reptiles because their different from humans in a lot of ways.

02/19/16  08:14am

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317124

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Bored middle school brat?
Lmao at that cause I am a middle schooler, 7th grade to be exact 😂 yeah, a lot of vets can’t or won’t do anything about certain animals. I remember, I found some abandoned baby bunnies that I watched for a few days, but one got sick and when I took it to the vet, they said they couldn’t do anything about it because it was a wild species. Kinda like anoles imo.

02/20/16  08:13am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317141

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Actually. I was talking about Sparkle-- for making that comment about my anole about to die. It wasn’t meant for you, C. Frog.

02/20/16  11:10pm

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: AmbuBadger   In reference to Message Id: 2317146

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Oh don’t worry I just thought it was funny considering my grade level lol. I knew who you were talking about

02/27/16  08:46am

BlackBeardDragon
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2317235

Atrax, help? Jaw flex?

Dude where is Atrax? I haven’t been on this forum consistently in years and Atrax used to be THE GUY to go to. Now I don’t even see him.

03/07/16  08:56pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area