Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ravenfeather32922   Icearstorm   Ravenfeather32922  

Member  Message

Ravenfeather32922
View Profile

How w to determine the age of an anole

Hi, I have 3 anoles ( a male and 2 females ). One of the females ( her name is Josefine ) is about an inch long and the other ( her name is Scarlet ) is about an inch and a half. The male ( his name is Fred ) on the other hand, is about two and a half inches. About how many years ( or months ) old are they?

01/28/16  09:57am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Ravenfeather32922   In reference to Message Id: 2316770

There isn’t a particularly good way to tell after they are adults. Females are considered adults when they are about 1-1.5 inches snout-to-vent length (SVL), while males may be 1.5-2 inches SVL when adult. Generally lizards grow for their whole lives, but this growth slows after reaching adulthood, so guessing is about the best you can get. Most small anole species reach adulthood at one year of age or so, and may be able to live for up to a decade if cared for properly.
A genetic testing way may be available in a few to a few hundred years. If this ever happens, it would consist on measuring the length of telomeres on DNA and comparing the length of the telomeres of the lizard (in number of nucleotide bases) to the telomere length in other lizards of the same species and of a known age. Since telomere length decreases as cells reproduce and DNA is replicated, older lizards would have shorter telomeres. But for now, I don’t think the technology exists (or at least is way too expensive). So I guess we’re just left with guessing...

01/30/16  09:19pm

Ravenfeather32922
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2316855

Thx, just about all my anoles are adults!

01/31/16  08:28am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area