Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AmberT2016   Takahiro111   AmberT2016   AmberT2016   Takahiro111   Sparkle51442   Ravenfeather32922   AmbuBadger  

Member  Message

AmberT2016
View Profile

Dead Anole - Feeling Guilty

Hi all,

I am a brand new member to this forum but have been researching anoles quite heavily over the past week and found myself on the website often.

Here’s the story - Last Wednesday, my daughter found an anole in the yard at her babysitter’s and insisted on keeping it. It was freezing cold outside, only warming up to 40 degrees or so in the day and had been raining heavily, so I agreed to let her bring it home. When she found him, he was brown but turned green when she held him. I figured he was just cold. I did notice that something appeared to be slightly wrong - he wouldn’t open his eyes, couldn’t walk with his head shaking (it was strange) and appeared very lethargic. I thought maybe he was just scared...

I set him up in a small container -I’ll admit, it was not ideal but I did my best to keep him warm and bought him baby food because he looked hungry. He successfully ate a little baby food every day that we had him (almost a week) but would not eat anything else. I offered him a live fly, a couple other bugs and nothing... Over the weekend, I changed his container to a bigger container, purchased a UVB light and tried my best to keep him warm and fed. I tried to feed him dead lab raised flies from the pet store but he wouldn’t eat them, so I started crushing them (gross, I know) into the baby food so he would at least get the nutrients. He didn’t seem to be drinking so I soaked him in a couple of shallow baths with water and pedialyte throughout his stay here. I noticed the head shaking stopped but he still didn’t move around very much. He seemed to enjoy being held and always turned green - so i still assumed he was cold. I kept the room he was in warm and had a heating pad which he enjoyed laying on. Yesterday, I bought 2 small crickets and tried to get him to eat but he would not. This morning, I gave him a little more baby food and left for work. On my way home, I stopped to get him mealworms, some environmental things like vines and calcium supplements. When I got home, he was dead.

Bottom line is that I’m feeling pretty guilty in thinking that he would have been fine outside and that we likely killed him by bringing him in and trying to tend to him. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Could he have actually frozen outside? Based on the head shaking, is it possible that he was sick? I can’t help but think the poor thing starved to death. I know I did my best to help but I guess sometimes helping is actually hurting?

01/19/16  05:25pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmberT2016   In reference to Message Id: 2316619

You did your best and its not your fault. He was wild caught and already sick not to mention he would’ve died a lot quicker outside then in your home. I can see you obviously cared and your daughter as well because you tried everything you can think of.

01/19/16  05:38pm

AmberT2016
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316620

Thanks for the encouragement. My daughter left for the weekend so it was just me trying to tend to this little guy for a few days.
Last night I noticed he developed pretty obvious black marks behind his eyes. I thought maybe he just wasn’t comfortable with the crickets in the cage, and I read that they could bite him, so after a few minutes of them being in there I took them back out and let him go to sleep. This morning the black spots were still there but he seemed as normal as he had been over the course of the few days.
I wondered if leaving him outside would have been the more humane way to let him die but I just couldn’t stand the thought of him freezing or something eating him (I guess I’m just too soft hearted...) At least I know that I tried, not sure if it would have turned out any differently under any other circumstances.

01/19/16  05:48pm

AmberT2016
View Profile

Message To: AmberT2016   In reference to Message Id: 2316622

Another thing - for the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why he would have been out when she found him. He was laying on a cold metal fan and even with a jacket and scarf, I was cold that day. It had to have been in the 40s but I do think it was sun-shining. I was wondering if maybe he was just out trying to get some UVB and we captured him without real reasoning?

01/19/16  05:51pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: AmberT2016   In reference to Message Id: 2316623

He must’ve been looking for a spot to warm up/bask in the sun

01/20/16  12:39am

Sparkle51442
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316627

It’s OK . I am so sorry for your loss ... You tried your best , so don’t feel bad. It happened to me to even though I’m only ten. Mine’s name was Anamira . she was just the sweetest little thing . I cried alot because to me she wasn’t just a pet she was a family member . so don’t feel bad , because I know what your going through, even though I’m only ten.

02/18/16  12:06pm

Ravenfeather32922
View Profile

Message To: AmberT2016   In reference to Message Id: 2316622

Black dots behind the eyes mean diasese.

02/23/16  08:33am

AmbuBadger
View Profile

Message To: Ravenfeather32922   In reference to Message Id: 2317165

Black spots behind the eyes (post orbital) mean stress-- which could be disease, seeing a rival in their territory, feeling threatened by a cat or other pet, or just stress in general. Mine had them when I first brought him home, and I saw them again when another anole got out and was displaying around his cage. So, it may not mean immediate death, but it is something that need some of be addressed..

02/23/16  10:31am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area