Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cuchaterrible14   Takahiro111   Hannah10101   Raven32922   Sparkle51442   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Cuchaterrible14
View Profile

My green anole is always brown

Hello everyone. I won a green anole at a carnival three weeks ago and so far we’ve been pretty happy together. Lately, though, he has been constantly brown. I don’t understand why he is always brown when I haven’t changed anything in my care regimen. I feed him crickets almost every day and he seems quite happy. He is always climbing around and eating. Here are some photos of his home and of him. As shown I have two heat bulbs, a nice place to climb and hide, and some (fake) leaves. Anyone have any idea why he’s always brown??

Thank you for taking the time to read,
Nicole

06/11/15  07:21pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Cuchaterrible14   In reference to Message Id: 2313858

Get a uvb bulb and not the coil one also dust the insects with calcium with D3 1-2x weekly and vary the diet. I would also see a vet to see if hes ok health wise.

06/11/15  11:27pm

Hannah10101
View Profile

Green anoles turn brown when distressed, here are some ideas on him. Btw I don’t AT ALL think your should take him to the vet. He probably isn’t sick.

1) Environment too loud? It is a possible cause if so.

2) Is the heat right for your lizard? I use a 50 watt bulb, which is more then enough for them. Also, maybe 2 strong bulbs can be too much. Also, do you change out bulbs at night? That’s a suggestion i would make.

3) Chances are your lizard isn’t sick. But are you misting the tank good? Feeding him right? Supplying enough dark spaces? If not, some changes may have to be made.

Those are my suggestions/ideas, I hope you find the right solution and your lizard lives a good life.

06/12/15  09:22pm

Raven32922
View Profile

My anoles are always brown when they r in the tank, but green when I take them out. I think that they r just blending with they colors of the sticks in the tank. I see that ur bedding/flooring is brown. Maybe adding some grass or green plants to it would help. I also use REAL plants, they seem to like them better.

01/28/16  08:17am

Sparkle51442
View Profile

Message To: Raven32922   In reference to Message Id: 2316765

I Have my mom’s old heating pad . ask your mom for her old heating pad , here’s some tips to help set it up, 1) get at least a ten gallon tank and cover your bedding with fresh cut grass every week. 2)Cover the heating pad with a towel (if you don’t the bottom will melt away during the night when it’s on). 3) put the heating pad under the tank.

I hope I helped alot .

02/18/16  10:14am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Sparkle51442   In reference to Message Id: 2317099

Never use a heating pad we would use for your reptiles.....just a bad idea. Since these lizards climb basking lamps are ideal but if ever using a uth get a thermostat.

02/18/16  11:52am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area