Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kokinut   Kokinut   DrDewlap  

Member  Message

Kokinut
View Profile

Saved a wild green anole

This evening I went out in the backyard with my kids after work to clean out the little swimming pool and noticed a young green anole belly-up on the water. I used the net to scoop it out thinking it was dead and then it started to move a little. I picked it up and it began to move a little more and opened its eyes. It has become very attached to me and doesn’t like me to put it down anywhere. It is unable to use its back legs so I would like to try and keep him/her until it can get better or as long as we can get it to survive. I know that they normally need a tall terrarium so they can climb but I am afraid it will be difficult without the use of his/her back legs. I need to get a screen topped terrarium for the little guy/gal and some crickets from the pet store. So far I haven’t been able to tell how sick he/she might be from the chlorine in the pool and I don’t know how long it was in the water. I have had many reptilian pets in the past including a ball python and a leopard gecko. Currently our only other pets are fish so I am sure my daughters are thrilled to have this little critter in the house, normally they are just all over the yard! I just need to know if there is something specific I can do to or look for to see if it is affected by the pool water and how old it might be. I would really love to save him/her!

05/20/12  08:34pm

Kokinut
View Profile

Message To: Kokinut   In reference to Message Id: 2267032

Saved a wild green anole

I figured out how to add pictures to my profile, so thats where they are.. eventually I will get used to this forum :) today is my first day!

05/20/12  09:32pm

DrDewlap
View Profile

Message To: Kokinut   In reference to Message Id: 2267039

Saved a wild green anole

Hi there!

It sounds to me that you’ve saved this little one from drowning. Anoles, when they’re threatened, scared, or under stress, generally inflate. I’ve had a female Haitian White Lip anole inflate to the point of being unable to breathe properly. The anole might have injured his back legs and, unable to swim, began to drown. If he seemed bloated, it may be because of stress or the ingestion of water.

Chlorine doesn’t usually have adverse affects other than drying out a reptile’s skin. Green iguanas regularly call the various personal swimming pools of South Florida home, and delight in swimming in them without any dangerous side effects. Anoles are part of the Iguanid family ( which is why they’re so expensive to take care of because they need the same husbandries ). Ahhh but like with most things in reptile medicine, it hasn’t been extensively studied to know the exact effects.

My best advice is to keep this little guy warm ( 95 max degrees for the basking spot, 80 degrees minimum at night ) with a humid enclosure ( 60-80 percent should do ). Is he hungry at all? Does he drink from a syringe? You’d be surprised how these animals learn how to accept droplets from a syringe. If he’s off food, offer a rescue formula like http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753955 , which is relatively inexpensive and will do well to put some calories into your little friend.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, and let us know how everything is going!!

Larc

06/02/12  05:42pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area