Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Weejimmy   AnoleQueeeeen   Weejimmy   Winkpw   AnoleQueeeeen   AnoleQueeeeen   Winkpw   AnoleQueeeeen   Winkpw   Lovereptiles2012  

Member  Message

Weejimmy
View Profile

Flies??

Okay so it is that time of the year again when the bugs start coming out. However, it is significantly warmer out than usual and house flies are back again. Can i catch some of these flies outside and they will be safe for my anoles to eat?? I have read other places that you cant but i trust asking you guys more than people just answering on a more unreliable site. Thanks in advance.

03/17/12  02:19pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2259136

Flies??

It can transfer parasites but the chances of that are low but my anoles love chasing them so I feed them house flies quite a bit though if you have terminex DO NOT or any other toxins made for bugs around your house. But I really don’t see the harm(:

Maddie

03/17/12  04:22pm

Weejimmy
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2259145

Flies??

Cool!!!!!!! Ill just try to catch some outside. There is none actually in my house. Haha. Thank goodness!!

03/17/12  05:43pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Weejimmy   In reference to Message Id: 2259153

Flies??

I honestly wouldn’t risk it. You run the risk of introducing new parasites to the anole. The risk outweighs the benefits.....................

03/26/12  12:23am

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2260193

Flies??

I use them only when I’m out of crickets or mealworms just to keep them held over. (our nearest pet store is 88 mi)

Maddie

03/26/12  08:45pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2260284

Flies??

Wink actually for anoles thats not much of a problem.
From Atrax’s useful caresheet(:
Why “wild caught” food? There are several reasons:

1) It is abundant. There are literally millions of species of insects. There are billions of individual specimens of each species.

2) It is free. You can collect as much as you want and never have to buy another cricket again.

3) It provides a diverse, nutritious menu. Most of the foods that captive Anoles eat are lacking in one mineral, vitamin, or nutrient. A broad spectrum of species will provide the widest range of nutrients.

4) Catching active prey items is good exercise. Anoles tend to get a bit lazy when fed on crickets or mealworms. Put a flying insect, like a moth, in the enclosure for some real action!

03/26/12  08:49pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2260285

Flies??

I still wouldn’t feel comfortable feeding a House Fly to an Anole, or anything outside if you treat your lawn. Different chemicals may not be good for a lizard. Though whatever Atrax says is certainly golden as he knows probably better than all of us.

03/26/12  09:02pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2260288

Flies??

Well if you have pest control its an absolute NO of course the naoles would ingest the toxins and could sicken or result in death.

Maddie

03/26/12  09:48pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2260292

Flies??

That’s an issue, but Atrax would probably know best in regards to that so I’d wait for him to contact. I figured that and parasites from different regions might affect the Anole too but I might be wrong. Not to mention there is always at least one house on a block that is using some sort of chemical treatment. So there is always the risk of your ground being contaminated some way or another...

Know what is really amazing? We make the very dirty we live on poisonous, and the animals are now contaminated.

03/26/12  11:30pm

Lovereptiles2012
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2260300

Flies??

When I catch anoles to study and keep for a short time I will catch flys, moths, dragonflies and test to see what lets they like by catching random bugs that look meaty and tasty. YUM!!!!

06/15/12  10:11am

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area