Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles Forum

Lax101   DragonTU84   Lax101   DragonTU84   DragonTU84  
 Member  Message

Lax101
View Profile

Anole sex

I was wondering how you tell the difference between a male and a female?
Can someone get back to me on this.

07/09/07  03:35pm

DragonTU84
View Profile

Message To: Lax101   In reference to Message Id: 1351784

Anole sex

Are you referring to Brown Anoles or Green Anoles, first of all??

For brown anoles, its easy. The females have a diamond-shaped pattern down the middle of their backs.

For green anoles, its a little bit harder:

One way to sex green anoles is either by picking them up and looking under the crotch for a few enlarged scales that are generally all lined up next to each other. This feature is ONLY exhibited in MALES in the species. However, if you simply cannot handle the anoles (being too jumpy, etc.), then wait for it to jump onto the glass of the aquarium and look underneath to see which anoles exhibit this feature. If no enlarged scales are present, it is likely female!

Also, you can look for the hemipenial bulges that only the mature males exhibit. This cannot be said for immature/juvenile specimins though.

Size is another important factor, but ONLY in adult specimens. The males are typically drastically larger and have more prominent heads than the females and a larger, more colorful dewlap. I often say head-shape is another important factor, yet this too only falls for near-adult and adult species. Females typically have a longer, lankier body, a smaller head and snout, etc.

If your anoles are exhibiting territorial displays to one another, then you at least have 2 or more males in your enclosure. I could post some pics of my anoles, if it will help:

BUSTER, MY ADULT MALE ANOLE:

(notice the enlarged head)

AMI, ONE OF MY FEMALE ANOLES:

(smaller head and snout, generally)

However, for juvies, the best way to tell is by the post anal scale test: looking UNDERNEATH the anole and seeing if it has a set/pair of ENLARGED SCALES BELOW THE CROTCH. FEMALES DO NOT EXHIBIT THIS FEATURE, AND IF YOUR ANOLE DOES, IT IS MALE

07/09/07  04:27pm

Lax101
View Profile

Message To: DragonTU84   In reference to Message Id: 1351848

Anole sex

Okay Thank you i believe that i have 2 females i looked at teh one closely and saw no enlarged scales and the other one doesnt like to be picked up and it has a smaller head so maybe its a female.

07/10/07  10:44am

DragonTU84
View Profile

Message To: Lax101   In reference to Message Id: 1352936

Anole sex

Here is a sample. This specimin is a MALE. I circled where the ENLARGED POSTANAL SCALES ARE, and where the curves are is where the HEMIPENILE BULGE(S) are, which ADULT MALES EXHIBIT. If it is a JUVENILE, then CHECK FOR THE POSTANAL SCALES.

P.S (TO DINOX64): I apologize if you are offended or upset for me borrowing your pic, but it is the only good example I could find, and your pic had it the most clear to show the Postanal Scales exhibited on males.

07/10/07  08:27pm

DragonTU84
View Profile

Message To: Lax101   In reference to Message Id: 1352936

Anole sex

Here is a sample. This specimin is a MALE. I circled where the ENLARGED POSTANAL SCALES ARE, and where the curves are is where the HEMIPENILE BULGE(S) are, which ADULT MALES EXHIBIT. If it is a JUVENILE, then CHECK FOR THE POSTANAL SCALES.

P.S (TO DINOX64): I apologize if you are offended or upset for me borrowing your pic, but it is the only good example I could find, and your pic had it the most clear to show the Postanal Scales exhibited on males.

07/10/07  08:32pm

Back to Anoles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area