Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HollyJaye   Atrax27407   Suelita   Atrax27407   AnoleGrl098711111111   MalcolmMc   Robyskye   Shastacola5  

Member  Message

HollyJaye
View Profile

Green anoles

I just got my anoles yest they are in a big tank 12x24x17 they are with one house gecko. they seem happy they are eating and running around. and today I caught them mating. I dont want to harp on the same thing everyone else is but the info goes all over. What should I do or look for or prepare for. how long goes it usually take to "see" that she is gravid. some say it takes 2 weeks for her to lay some say 5. Some say to incubate some say to leave them under the dirt and then get them out when they hatch. Has anyone ever actually had there anole lay and hatch successfully. Any info would help

06/04/06  03:08pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: HollyJaye   In reference to Message Id: 818903

Green anoles

First of all, the enclosure that you have is right at 21 gallons which is just barely big enough for two Green Anoles. Besides the crowding issue, it is not wise to mix species in a restricted environment. Both species have distinct parasite loads -- what is innocuous to one may very well be fatal to the other. I would suggest moving the Gecko.
The time between mating and egg laying can vary greatly. This is because female Green Anoles have the ability to store sperm for up to 7 months. Thus, they can mate in the fall, for example, and begin laying a clutch of eggs the next spring. On the average, however, she will usually begin laying eggs 2-4 weeks after mating and will continue to lay one or two at roughly two week intervals until a total of 10-12 have been produced. Often, the last couple are infertile. You should notice that she is gravid a couple of weeks after mating and about 10 days before she begins to lay eggs.
You can either leave the eggs in the enclosure undisturbed or remove and incubate them. You will get a higher hatch rate if you incubate them since adults will sometimes view the hatchlings as prey and eat them. I have had 30+ clutches of eggs hatch over the years and have done it both ways (incubate vs. non-incubation). Oh yes, even the hatchlings need a minimum space requirement of 10 gallons per Anole so be prepared for a major expansion once the eggs begin to hatch!

06/04/06  05:26pm

Suelita
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 819103

Green anoles

Hi, I read this and I have a question. I have 3 green anoles (1 boy and 2 girls) and i recently found 3 dead eggs in the cage (don’t know which of the girls laid them). i’ve found eggs before but none have ever hatched. in fact, they’ve all died - they kind of cave in. is there any way i can save them before this happens... or what do i look for? i was also looking at one of my girls today and she has a really big belly so i’m wondering if she’s pregnant again... i really want to try and hatch the eggs... how will i know when she lays them? anyone...?

10/10/08  12:33am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Suelita   In reference to Message Id: 1878035

Green anoles

Make sure that the Anoles’ food is dusted with a calcium supplement. You can either use one of the commercial products or just get some calcium carbonate or calcium citrate at a local pharmacy. The eggs must be kept moist. If they are not buried, they will quickly dry up and collapse. This is especially true of eggs that are not buried. You can tell that she has laid them when you see a sudden loss of weight, Check along the sides of the enclosure, in the corners, and around the base of plants. These are some of the favorite egg-laing locations.

10/10/08  07:46am

AnoleGrl098711111111
View Profile

Message To: Suelita   In reference to Message Id: 1878035

Green anoles

Get the conditions right in the tank or they will continue to be infertile, and the answer to your second question she will suddenly look slim.GOOD LUCK

10/31/11  08:56pm

MalcolmMc
View Profile

Message To: AnoleGrl098711111111   In reference to Message Id: 2242597

Green anoles

Hey guys..... i just got some green anoles (2) and 2 long-tailed lizards 3-4 days ago and im wondering how to breed them. P.s i have 2 brown anoles as well. Thx.

12/25/11  12:26pm

Robyskye
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 819103

Green anoles

Hi I have a tank 40" in lengh by 16" wide by 24" high I have 3 anoles 1 male 2 females just wanted to no if that’s big enough for them all so I seen my male mating with one of my females and wanted to no how long it will be before she starts Laying eggs or do they need to mate a few times before she gets pregnant all so is it better off leave in the eggs in the tank or taking them out if she does start laying

02/24/13  03:50pm

Shastacola5
View Profile

Message To: Robyskye   In reference to Message Id: 2292660

Green anoles

I have one green anole and one male green anole in a tall 20 gallon tank with the opaning on the side. I have plants around the back edges of the tank and a water fall at the front so i can change there water with out bothering them as well as a perch rock for them. Just a few mins ago my anoles mated and she gave a good fight before giving in. Anyways they mated and ive read several forms saying itll be a couple of weeks before shell lay a egg. Ive moved my male to a 10 gallon tank so he wont get mean while shes laying them. I have there tanks at 75 to 80 including night. I have uv lights on both there tanks and both have heating pads for night. Is there anything else i need to know before she lays wggs before dusting there food? Any advice would be helpful thank you.

04/21/16  09:02am

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area