Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

OverlordMaddy   Rexxaroo   OverlordMaddy   Rexxaroo   OverlordMaddy   Lizardgirl22   Gogogeckos_124   Raven32922  

Member  Message

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Proper Way To Sex A Green Anole

I plan on breeding my Green Anole, but I need to know what sex he is (I think he’s male) so I can get another anole or two of the opposite sex. What’s the best and easiest way to tell? He’s not exactly a creature I can reach in and pick up, he’s much too quick for me to handle so I generally leave him alone. He has the red on his throat and he hardly ever puffs it out (perhaps because he’s alone?) but I heard that that isn’t a truly accurate way to sex anoles. He likes to climb up the glass of his terrarium sometimes, which I guess would be a good time to get a good look at his under parts. What exactly do I look for? I’m not good at sexing reptiles. DX

I think he’s very young too. He’s wild-caught, but the anoles at my work are about double the size of him and we ordered them in fairly young. I’m not sure if him being wild-caught would affect his overall size. His tail is missing (was already gone when I rescued him) and it’s about half grown back, which puts him at about 3-4 inches.

04/23/13  04:13pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2296156

Go to the anole forum and look at the care sheet at the top, this will have pictures and instructions on how to sex him or her.
Males have large post anal scales, and two bumps on either side of their tail. They also have very large and brightly colored dewlaps. Their heads are more triangular in comparison to females, and also tend to be larger.
Females are more rounded in body shape, and have one bump in their tail.
Good luck!

Rexx

04/25/13  09:09pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296306

Next time he tries to climb up the glass, I’ll take a look for those scales. Less stressful than trying to catch him!

04/27/13  09:27pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: OverlordMaddy   In reference to Message Id: 2296406

True! :) A magnifying glass will help.
Heres a pic from Atrax’s care sheet:

Good luck!

Rexx

04/28/13  07:28pm

OverlordMaddy
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2296465

Well, we found a single egg in the enclosure. I guess she’s a female. o.o

05/11/13  01:51pm

Lizardgirl22
View Profile

Female anoles have smaller bodies, heads, and dewlaps (pull the skin on its neck to see its dewlap). Females are usually about 5 inches long from head to tail, and males usually get up to about 8 inches long from head to tail. Anoles eat wax worms, small or medium sized crickets (no bigger than the lizards head), flies, gnats, small moths, about any insect that it can fit into its mouth. It usually won’t eat ants but I do think there is a certain kind of ant that it will eat. It eats roaches and some green anoles will even eat dried or soft fruits. If you try cutting up a banana he or she may eat that. They will not eat "rolly pollies" or lightning beetles. They like to be in warm areas (from 75% to 85%). When they are happy they are usually green and sleepy, when they are scared, mad, or stressed out they turn brown. They do not eat or drink too often. They usually hide in large, bushy plants and if you keep them in a terrarium or tank make sure that you only keep up to three anoles in one tank (one or two females and only one male. Sometimes when you look at one side of an anole they keep that eye open and the other closed or the other way around. This is when they are calm. When they are alarmed they will have both eyes open. If you look up "male anoles" on Google images you will find green anole males with their dewlaps out, they have very large, pink dewlaps. Females have smaller faded pink colored dewlaps. They usually let these flaps of skin out when they are aware of danger, angry, or ready to bite you. If you handle your anole daily and be gentle with him or her you can tame it. This way they will not attack or bite you and you will see their dewlaps less often. Make sure that you are very gentle because these creatures are very small and it would only take a second to smash them. That is how to care for a green anole :) Oh and they also eat grass hoppers.

06/20/13  06:38pm

Gogogeckos_124
View Profile

The way you tell is it has like two dots on the torso part of the lizard if it is a boy if it is a girl it doesn’t have the two dots

01/10/16  09:11pm

Raven32922
View Profile

If it is a male, there will be 2 large, easily seen scales under the base of its tail. If it is a female, it will not. Hope this helps!

01/28/16  07:53am

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area