Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Seiryu1   Seiryu1   AnoleQueeeeen   AnoleQueeeeen   AnoleQueeeeen   Seiryu1   AnoleQueeeeen   Baja   AnoleQueeeeen  
 Member  Message

Seiryu1
View Profile

A few questions - small anole

Hey guys. I have a few questions. About 1.5 months ago, a friend of mine was working at home depot. They got in an order of plants and all of a sudden 2 anoles were running all over the floor at the store.

He caught one, couldn’t find the other. Anyways I decided to keep the anole myself knowing that the store would likely terminate the little guy. I have 15+ years reptile experience. Right now he’s in a 10 gallon. 50-70% humidity, 85-88 basking and 70-75 cool side. Fake plants for climbing. 5.0 tube light.

He is eating the smaller flightless fruit-flies. Actually upon reading, we may have a girl (light stripe down the back). I got some of the bigger flies and he’s probably just small enough to not be able to eat them, no biggy I have a chameleon that will!

He eats between 5-9 of these smaller flies a day. Vitamin supplement once a week, with calcium 3 times a week.

He’s 2.5 inches including tail. Not sure what he was when I got him but can’t imagine too much smaller.

What we don’t know is how old he/she is other than I have had him for 1.5 months. Hasn’t grown much (shed a few pieces), but I know these guys don’t grow amazingly fast.

How old are they when they reach adult-hood and how big can they get? Not even really sure if he’s a brown or green. But I’ve never seen him turn green yet, always brown.

Looking forward to the responses, thanks!

10/15/11  05:03pm

Seiryu1
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu1   In reference to Message Id: 2240619

Sorry guys, could a mod delete this? I posted in the wrong section somehow.

10/15/11  05:30pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu1   In reference to Message Id: 2240622

It’s ok as long as its under anoles(; Sounds like a cute tiny little guy. He sounds like a hatchling. He must’ve been in the plants that came in.

A brown anole (have white dots and diamonds down their backs):

A Green anole (can turn green when adjusting to a new environment):

Males have dewlaps: Green anole dewlaps (will flare when see female or being territorial):

Brown anole dewlap (will flare when see female or being territorial):

How to determine sex for sure (males can have white stripes down their backs as well as females):

A= male (have two enlarged anal scales) B=female (do not)

Keep feeding tiny fruit flied until it gets bigger never feed it anything bigger than the space between its eyes. Always mist your anole ( its how they drink ) They mature around 8-9 months and can reach 8 inches in length if its a green A. carolinensis. If its a brown anole A. sagrei should not get as long. When your anole grows start feeding it small crickets. I’m curious where were the plants imported from?

Maddie

10/16/11  08:48pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2240780

Oops I meant green anoles can turn brown when adjusting to a new environment. (:

Maddie

10/16/11  08:49pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2240780

Oops I meant green anoles can turn brown when adjusting to a new environment or trying to collect more heat. (:

Maddie

10/16/11  08:49pm

Seiryu1
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2240782

Hi, thanks for the response!

He/she might be in shed (sort of looked like it last night anyways). So I can’t quite see any patterns right now.

As far as color goes, my guess is a brown. Could be a slight chance being a green. But I have never seen him turn green even while sleeping. I also thought I noticed what seemed like a tiny pattern down the back, at least at a certain angle.

Not sure what plant it was on but it definitely came from a plant. At 2.5" and likely a brown anole (I’ve had for 1.5 months) what age would you guess? Like literally a new hatchling when I obtained it?

As far as feeding goes, yep the fruit-flies are the way to go. So much better than crickets. I have extra small Dubia I can hopefully feed once he gets bigger (1/4" size and squishy). But if it’s a brown anole, I have a long way to go lol!

10/17/11  03:14am

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Seiryu1   In reference to Message Id: 2240827

There are suppose to turn green while sleeping. Put up a picture it will be so much easier to identify(: I’m interested to see the lil cutee(:

Maddie

10/17/11  08:48pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2240923

I bet from where the plant came from a female anole layed eggs on it.

10/20/11  06:59pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2241313

Yup most likely(:

Maddie

10/20/11  08:13pm

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area