Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Meejee   AnoleQueeeeen   Meejee   AnoleQueeeeen   Atrax27407   Meejee   Atrax27407   AnoleQueeeeen   Josiah4545  
 Member  Message

Meejee
View Profile

I need help w/ breeding!

Hi i might get 2 green anoles. i need help on breeding!

I am going to use a screen cage for them to live in. I have a breeding box for them to mate in, then i will let the female and male in regular cage. when female starts laying eggs in soil box, i will leave the male for 2 weeks, then i will put him in breeding box so he dosent eat babies when they hatch. I will mist cage 2 times daily there whole life, and breeding season. When the babies hatch, where do i put the parents so they dont eat babies?

PLease help me

07/30/11  05:43pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231086

I need help w/ breeding!

You could divide the tank in half or use a peice of glas or cardboard to seperate the babies and parents. Note: The mother will eat the eggs, too. If the eggs are dented and caved in they are infertile. And the female Anole can store the sperm up to 7 months if she doesn’t have the proper breeding grounds to lay her eggs.

07/30/11  06:52pm

Meejee
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2231093

I need help w/ breeding!

ok thanks! thats a life saver because i thought only males eat eggs!

07/30/11  09:06pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231104

I need help w/ breeding!

Haha yup use vercumilate when you incubate not sure if I spelled it right : and DO NOT mist the eggs it will kill them and do not flip them over. Moist the vercumilate around them and they will absorb it.

07/30/11  10:10pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2231114

I need help w/ breeding!

Let’s start at the beginning.

"I am going to use a screen cage for them to live in. I have a breeding box for them to mate in, then i will let the female and male in regular cage. when female starts laying eggs in soil box, i will leave the male for 2 weeks, then i will put him in breeding box so he dosent eat babies when they hatch. I will mist cage 2 times daily there whole life, and breeding season. When the babies hatch, where do i put the parents so they dont eat babies?"

1) You don’t need a breeding box. Anoles are not shy about mating. In fact, the biggest problem is preventing them from breeding.

2) Baby Anoles are VERY quick. Both sexes will eat offspring if they have the chance. If you have a well-planted enclosure, they won’t be able to catch them. Just make sure that the enclosure is big enough to provide adequate room for them to hide.

3) If you elect to keep the babies, you will have to provide EACH one with its own 10 gallon enclosure.

07/30/11  11:24pm

Meejee
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2231118

I need help w/ breeding!

wow i never new that

07/31/11  09:13am

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231154

I need help w/ breeding!

Also,
Anoles of either sex don’t eat the eggs (which are usually buried).

07/31/11  02:27pm

AnoleQueeeeen
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2231186

I need help w/ breeding!

My bestie’s Anole ate her 2 eggs :P

07/31/11  03:10pm

Josiah4545
View Profile

Message To: AnoleQueeeeen   In reference to Message Id: 2231191

I need help w/ breeding!

You don’t need to worry about the anoles eating their offspring unless they are very hungry and once the female lays her eggs she shouldn’t go digging for them just to eat them. I have heard that the female anole may know the egg is infertile before she lays it then eat it knowing it was baring no young the male may kill the young male anoles if he thinks they are a threat so once they hatch look for the 2 large scales under their vent and then you know its a male.

08/08/11  07:58pm

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area