Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Umbri_girl   GIECO GECKO102010   Umbri_girl  
 Member  Message

Umbri_girl
View Profile

Most common reasons for not breeding?

I have three green anoles, and have kept anoles for quite some time, though have had many die namely due to scarce food. But now that I have a decent mealworm farm, my babies are well fed and seemingly happy enough, I see alot of mating displays and chases, though never any coitus, though I know its kind of rare to catch ’em in the act.
I’ve had females get gravid in the past, but have only had a couple baby anoles, and often can’t keep the little buggars alive, probably from fussing over them and their adamant refusal to eat any pinheads, or fruitflies I throw at them.

So I was namely wondering, what are most of the common reasons green anoles don’t make babies? Maybe my cage isn’t humid enough? Maybe I don’t give them enough sun? Maybe I don’t have the right soil to get them to lay their eggs in? I don’t know. Though I do know, hopefully with this better diet, I’ll see some eggs this fall. -shrugs-

Perhaps my males just aren’t fast, enough, most of my gravid females were ones that got blinded from an eye infection.... and thusly of course crippled.

07/12/11  04:06am

GIECO GECKO102010
View Profile

Message To: Umbri_girl   In reference to Message Id: 2228686

HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHECK ON THEM? IF YOU CHECK ON THEM EVERY FIVE MINUTES THEY GET NERVOUS AND DONT BREED.I HAD TO LEARN THAT TYHE HARD WAY I KEPT CHECKIN AND CHECKINBUT THEY WOUDNT BREED SO NOW I CHECK ON THEM EVERY THREE HOURS OR ONCE A DAY.SO TRY THAT AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

07/23/11  12:25pm

Umbri_girl
View Profile

Message To: GIECO GECKO102010   In reference to Message Id: 2230226

Haha. Well they’re in my room by the window, so perhaps its my disturbance~ But I’ve noticed alot of the time, as long as I’m a certain distance away they don’t mind me. But getting too close, everyone stops what they’re doing and stares at the scaleless fleshling.
Can’t be my music though, if anything that encourages mating behavior~

Only ever caught ’em in the act once though :T and that was a whole nother batch, years ago.

(oh and your caps lock is on ;0 )

07/25/11  04:39am

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area