Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Skyebird   Grundisimo   Hubert96   Atrax27407   Sinibit   Sinibit   RedGator  
 Member  Message

Skyebird
View Profile

What do i need for eggs

my brown anoles are breeding i bought them as a class pet what kind of cage do i need ? what size cage?

thanks,skyebird

06/05/10  01:43pm

Grundisimo
View Profile

Message To: Skyebird   In reference to Message Id: 2153352

What do i need for eggs

You will need at least a 20 gallon enclosure if you are going to house them together. AND, you will need an incubating setup for the eggs. I am extremely happy for you.http://www.repticzone.com/images/faces/s9.gifhttp://www.repticzone.com/images/faces/s31.gif

06/06/10  10:37pm

Hubert96
View Profile

What do i need for eggs

in petco you can buy this soil maker,all you do is add water is 3 dollars. You should have a 20 gallon. be sure to drop your day and night temps by 10 degrees, they will then reproduce and youl get 1egg per two weeks for 3 months for a total of 6 eggs im a pro breeder but i dont use an incubator, since your an amatuer only 1 or 2 of your anoles will survive, no offense! Make sure you have a live plant theylike to lay eggs around them. good luck!

07/25/10  12:57pm

Atrax27407
View Profile

Message To: Hubert96   In reference to Message Id: 2164892

What do i need for eggs

What a lot of mis-information! Most common species of Anoles (A. carolinensis and A. sagrei) don’t need any encouragement to breed. Besides lowering the temperatures (both day and night) you must also reduce the photoperiod to 8-10 hours per day and keep those conditions for several months. Then, when you raise the temperatures and increase the photoperiod, they be begin mating. Incidently, it is called "Brumation".
The use of an incubator only slightly raises the hatch rate. If normal temperatures are maintained, you can expect a hatch rate of 80%+ without an incubator and 90%+ with one. Anoles will bury or partially bury their eggs at the base of plants and also near the sides of the enclosure or near any other items of "furniture" in the enclosure.
The best substrates are organic potting soil or organic compost which you can get at a local garden supply store in quantity for a few $$.

07/25/10  07:24pm

Sinibit
View Profile

Message To: Hubert96   In reference to Message Id: 2164892

What do i need for eggs

I’ve never had any kind of anole and we were given a wild caught female who was apparently pregnant and 2 babies hatched before i moved her and the hatchlings to a 20 Gal long dragon tank for room, and i found the nest(s) (which right as i was putting the largest egg into the tank it hatched) so far all 3 babies are doing great and there’s still 5 more eggs. so i don’t think it matters on being an amateur, its been more of catching small enough insects for them, which isn’t hard. though id love advice on proper temp for incubating since i had to move them i believe it was kept in the 80s....just make sure there’s hiding places and plants and things to climb on, especially cuz the female will lay her eggs right by them

i can show my setup for ideas

07/25/11  06:28am

Sinibit
View Profile

What do i need for eggs

Also, ive looked it up and my female is proof, 1 male can breed an entire colony of females, and each female will lay up to 8 eggs. if you have multiple females, obviously it adds up to a lot of babies, so my advice: know where the nests are. if you don’t want to be overrun, let maybe 1 from a nest hatch if there’s more than 1 female. also, the more naturalistic the cage is, the more likely they’ll hatch on their own. and 20 Gal minimum for a tank if there’s more than 1. the babies will be about an inch when hatched and tend to be quite dark. oh and by the way. anoles bury their eggs. be it at the base of plants, rocks or even between some. i made a ’fortress’ out of a few small flat rock on top of some blocky ones and she laid her eggs right between them since they were right by the heat source

07/25/11  06:34am

RedGator
View Profile

Message To: Atrax27407   In reference to Message Id: 2164947

What do i need for eggs

Re: "The best substrates are organic potting soil or organic compost which you can get at a local garden supply store in quantity for a few $$"

Is that for laying, incubation, or both? Does organic matter promote fungus? I’ve always used vermiculite for other lizards, but I’ve never bred anoles before. I now have A.equestris laying, and I left a box of vermiculite in the corner of her cage where she laid an egg that went bad, although I may have waited too long because I was out of town. It was very wrinkled and probably too dry. Do I change substrates, or just wait till she drops another and collect it as soon as possible? The vermiculite is more moist now since I added water, then squeezed the excess out.

08/01/11  03:30pm

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area