Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoles-Breeding Forum

Reptileman1   Wyapum   Katlovesanolesalot!   Sesecat   Lttlelizardlover   Reptile Chick   Reptile Chick  
 Member  Message

Reptileman1
View Profile

Are they trying to breed?

my brown anole keeps biting my female anoles id say around the ear area and climbs on her back is he trying to mate or kill her? (id also liek to mention my female is much younger then my male she’s almost like a baby size)(my male is about 10months-year

05/17/09  08:51am

Wyapum
View Profile

Message To: Reptileman1   In reference to Message Id: 2006241

I would think he is trying to mate...

05/17/09  10:24am

Katlovesanolesalot!
View Profile

Message To: Wyapum   In reference to Message Id: 2006259

hi i just cought my two green anoles mating when i came home should i remove the other female?

05/17/09  02:17pm

Sesecat
View Profile

Message To: Reptileman1   In reference to Message Id: 2006241

trying to mate

07/12/09  01:15pm

Lttlelizardlover
View Profile

Message To: Sesecat   In reference to Message Id: 2038070

yeah youve all probably got baby anoles on the way OOOOHHH SO EXCITING

08/25/11  06:51pm

Reptile Chick
View Profile

Message To: Lttlelizardlover   In reference to Message Id: 2234353

Anoles will breed in captivity if the conditions are right. Breeding seems to be affected by photoperiod, or daylight length. Increasing photoperiods in the spring and summer months along with increased temperature and humidity play a role in inducing captive anoles to breed.

Breeding behavior often mimics the behavior seen in aggressive males. This includes head bobbing, throat fan display, and other body movements. When the female is receptive, she will bow her head and the male will grab her neck with his mouth.

The Green Anole is oviparous, or egg laying. The female does not usually prepare a nest but may make a scrape in the substrate with her nose, and deposit the egg in the indentation. From late spring throughout the summer, the female lays a single egg (rarely, two) about every two weeks in a moisture-rich area. The eggs can be removed or left in the vivarium with the adults. If removed, the eggs should be put in a damp substrate and covered. They should be kept at a temperature of 82-85°F and checked weekly to ensure the substrate remains moist. Incubation of the egg lasts less than two months, about 35-40 days.

Hatchlings are roughly two inches in length. They eat much more than adults and must be given a lot of small live foods treated with supplements.

09/12/11  07:14am

Reptile Chick
View Profile

Message To: Lttlelizardlover   In reference to Message Id: 2234353

Anoles will breed in captivity if the conditions are right. Breeding seems to be affected by photoperiod, or daylight length. Increasing photoperiods in the spring and summer months along with increased temperature and humidity play a role in inducing captive anoles to breed.

Breeding behavior often mimics the behavior seen in aggressive males. This includes head bobbing, throat fan display, and other body movements. When the female is receptive, she will bow her head and the male will grab her neck with his mouth.

The Green Anole is oviparous, or egg laying. The female does not usually prepare a nest but may make a scrape in the substrate with her nose, and deposit the egg in the indentation. From late spring throughout the summer, the female lays a single egg (rarely, two) about every two weeks in a moisture-rich area. The eggs can be removed or left in the vivarium with the adults. If removed, the eggs should be put in a damp substrate and covered. They should be kept at a temperature of 82-85°F and checked weekly to ensure the substrate remains moist. Incubation of the egg lasts less than two months, about 35-40 days.

Hatchlings are roughly two inches in length. They eat much more than adults and must be given a lot of small live foods treated with supplements.

09/12/11  07:15am

Back to Anoles-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area