Anacondas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

ROADKING   DJDeron   ROADKING   Chitownreptiles   Ycondaluvr  

Member  Message

ROADKING
View Profile

Help with my yellow anaconda

My 9 year old son wanted an anaconda so we bought him one after some research. We had a rock python and a several burms at one point but damn florida laws forced us to down grade everything we owned. We now only have columbians besides my sons yellow. We have had her about a year but she still wont calm down and is very bitey she has tagged me on several occasions it doesnt hurt at her size she is about 3ft which to me seems small for her age. She eats like a champ and has regular sheds. Any ideas on a better way to calm her down other wise once she hits greater size cleaning her enclosure is going to be a major challenge.

04/18/12  09:26pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: ROADKING   In reference to Message Id: 2263362

First let me say i do not believe that any giant constrictor species, especially anacondas, is a good pet snake for a nine year old. That aside, anacondas tend to grow considerably slower than pythons and other boas so as long as it is eating, shedding and maintaining good weight I wouldn’t worry about her size. As for temperament, well, it’s an anaconda. Some are calm from the beginning, some can be gently handled enough to get them to calm down, and many never calm down, growing into predictably bitey adults. Genetics has quite a bit to do with it. As i’m sure you have noticed, anacondas are really not like any other snake in relation to how they bite. There tends to be an under lying nervousness in even the most docile specimens and they can strike without warning and with very little provocation. I know it says you did some research but unfortunately it looks like you didn’t do quite enough if this behavior surprises you. If you’ve had it a year, worked with it a lot, made sure all of your husbandry parameters are correct and it is not calming down, you may just have to accept that you own a typical nippy yellow anaconda.

04/20/12  10:44am

ROADKING
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2263543

thank you for the ideas and my son has grown up with snakes all his life we used to have burms and retics in till Florida banned them and we had to sell what we had so he will be fine .

04/20/12  05:05pm

Chitownreptiles
View Profile

Message To: ROADKING   In reference to Message Id: 2263577

my yellow Annie was bitey at first and well if you want yours to calm down i suggest letting the person who owns it and cares for it the most to handle daily I’m 15 so i know one of you are gonna give me but yeah my Annie is calm like a angel now and i even let my 5yr old sister hold her so yeah just do what i said just of lot of handling and don’t ever skip a feeding day ha trust me aha and yeah i got bit twice when i first got her and she great i hope on breeding her

P.s Good luck :D

07/24/12  02:52am

Ycondaluvr
View Profile

Message To: ROADKING   In reference to Message Id: 2263362

i have had my yellow almost two years now when i got her i had the same problem ,very bitey and aggressive and honestly all i did was use gloves for removal from tank and handle CALMLY AND GENTLY every day for a month or so or even if u have a small room u have snake proofed and let her cruise a bit mine loves it now she will perch calmly for hours with me

09/23/12  06:09pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area