Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Anacondas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GodfatherBest   DJDeron   GodfatherBest   DJDeron   GodfatherBest   Cphill58   Jon whittington  

Member  Message

GodfatherBest
View Profile

Yellow Anaconda respiratory infection. (NO REPTILE VETS AROUND)

Hey guys, just joined repticzone today! But i recently purchased a yellow anaconda from someone who kept her temps low, and knew almost nothing about the snake. He purchased it for 350! after i went to see her i explained to him all the problems she had, as she was having difficulty breathing, gaping, mucus discharge, milky yeyes, and she had a bit of an attitude problem. So i brought the price down to about 80 bucks. Good deal if you ask me. I had always wanted a yellow anaconda, so i couldn’t say no. anyways i put her in a 20 gallon long with two water bowls(one close to warnside, one on coolside) some logs, and fake leaves for cover and i’ll post a pic so you can see. Her temps are high up about 85-95 warm side and humidity never drops under 50 although i like to keep it at around 80. so far her milky eyes have cleared up, her skin is much more vibrant and her attitude has definitely changed for the good The only thing is her signs of respiratory infection haven’t gone away yet. She still has mucus discharge from her nose and mouth ( i checked inside as well) , she still makes these strange sounds when you handle her and has swelling in her throat that "blows" up or inflates when she is held. I won’t lie it has gotten better, and probably still will, i asked people around me and reptile stores what i can do and they all said i am doing everything right. i remember doing this with my boa when i first got him but he seemed to clear up pretty quick. and remember its only been 3 days. how long do you think it would be before i can see if it’s working or not. well tell me what you think here’s some pics nott he best quality though sorry!

and by the way she hasn’t eaten either. but i’m guessing that’s because of the respiratory infection.

02/19/12  11:08am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: GodfatherBest   In reference to Message Id: 2255940

It sounds like you are doing what you can. A round of antibiotics would be advisable but if you have no vet willing to prescribe the meds you’re out of luck there. Keep the temps on the warm side and try waiting it out is all you can really do. As far as not feeding, anacondas frequently go off feed for several months so even without the RI it may be off feed. Keep offering meals and don’t fret too much until it starts showing real weight loss.

02/19/12  11:48am

GodfatherBest
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2255947

yes i was thinking that too. she does show interest in food and will come up to it and everything but just won’t "take" it not sure why. that’s not my main worry. but how long do you think i could start seeing results? a week or two?

02/19/12  11:52am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: GodfatherBest   In reference to Message Id: 2255948

Hard to tell recovery times. RI can be tuff to kick. Without meds it could string along for weeks.

02/19/12  03:33pm

GodfatherBest
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2255983

hey got some great news. I switched the paper towel to some mulch and she shed right away. don’t know if it has anything to do with the substrate change but she shed and her colours are beautiful! the infection also looks alot better. No smelling or gaping, or mucusy discharge. There is still the occasional "weeze" but things are looking really good in my opinion.

02/19/12  03:38pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: GodfatherBest   In reference to Message Id: 2255985

Do you have a horse / tack / farming store near you ... We have used various forms of powdered tetracycline for cattle with moderate success in the water...it is water soluble .Look specifically for DURAMYACIN 10

It is listed as a "wide spectrum antibiotic....also available in liquid injection form , but I have no idea as to the dosage
You can see it online here....

Duramyacin 10

We use 1 -2 tabl spoons per gallon of water for an 8 foot burm that has shown improvement ...after the burm drinks we change the water to fresh .... no additional water is offered to basically coerce the snake to drink when it is offered the medicated water 1x per week
Store the gallon in the fridge to preserve or make fresh batch...

04/05/12  02:47am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2261557

Hey You,

I have used Tylan and it can be bought online.I swear it does work.Amie told me about it and Iam glad she did.It has saved me a ton of money.Talk to Amie,she will help you. Good Luck

Jon Whittington If you need to call me 323-469-9271

16 snakes
2 tortoises
4 cats
6 birds
16 big smarty pants goldfish
1 girlfriend

04/16/12  12:41pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area