Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Logcabbin   Herps4me   Logcabbin   JackAsp  

Member  Message

Logcabbin
View Profile

Open Air Enclosures???

Hey there everybody.
I was just wondering what your thoughts we’re about keeping snakes in an open air enclosure? My juvi yellow is in one right now and seems to be doing fine as far as stress. My initial worry was about humidity but I figure as long as there is a big enough dish for it to have a good soak/swim it’s all good right? ... Anyway Im just looking for some professional opinions so don’t ridicule me please this is the first time I have put a snake in a open air enclosure and is purely experimental.
Thanks for your time

02/15/12  10:44am

Herps4me
View Profile

Message To: Logcabbin   In reference to Message Id: 2255351

Open Air Enclosures???

I would say it depends where you live. If you live in an area of high humidity, then he/she might do ok. You just have to understand that boas and pythons, that live in humid habitats, can develop respiratory infections if the humidity is too low. It just might take longer for a low humidity environment. If you live in a low humidity area, I would err on the side of caution with this experiment. Maybe post a pic of your set up?

-Wil

02/15/12  01:28pm

Logcabbin
View Profile

Message To: Herps4me   In reference to Message Id: 2255374

Open Air Enclosures???

Yeah I have tried posting pics in my profile but it’s proving to be more difficult than necessary. My computer is fried and I’m doing all this on my iPhone. For some reason it won’t let me view my photos or upload them.
The reason why I think even with a lower humidity in the enclosure the snake is ok is simply that alot of the burm set ups I see or any big enclosure for that matter have a hot humid side and a cooler less humid side. I don’t believe for a second that snakes are stupid and I assume that it will hang out wherever it needs to at any given time. Just like in the wild.

02/15/12  05:26pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Logcabbin   In reference to Message Id: 2255431

Open Air Enclosures???

If you’re talking about those nylon-mesh reptariums, then, no. The frames are hollow plastic tubes, and as soon as even one crumpled it would only take a few hours of chafing before the front of the cage unzipped.
If you’re talking about like on the patio or whatever, then I’ll shut up.

03/13/13  11:27pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area