Anacondas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

OwnerSince2010   DJDeron   OwnerSince2010   DJDeron   Joeroy  

Member  Message

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Few questions / Post your enclosures!

Seriously considering picking up a green in about 6-12 months (wanna do some pretty extensive research first) and figured enclosures would be the best place to start. I’ve skimmed a few care sheets so know the basics but just wanna see some physical manifestations of what I’m reading rather than just reading what needs to be available :)

First off, I’m assuming since greens don’t get quite as large as yellows they’re the easier one to keep for a first-time ’conda owner? I have experience with large snakes (Own a female retic, babysat for a friend his 18’ burm and 11’ beast of a RTB) just I know that anacondas are known for being a hell of a lot thicker and stronger than those so a little nervous. Are there any real differences besides size & appearance between greens & yellows? And I’m assuming that males are normally smaller than females?

Are their temperament like every other big snake? (Some horridly aggressive, some baby tame, depends on specific snake & owner) Or is there a definite trend, with uncommon (though definitely there) exceptions on the other end?

In general, how expensive are these snakes to keep compared to other big snakes? And their food & prey items... Same general rule of thumb? (1-1.5x thickness weekly/bi-weekly etc. depending on age size and if it’s still growing or not :P) And do these take more time (maintenance/cleaning) than other big snakes because of their unique enclosure requirements?

Last question, how many people would you recommend having present to handle a full grown adult? I live in a house with 1 other person, which has worked well so far, but again I know these are much stronger than other snakes so curious if more than 1 other person is recommended.

11/21/11  12:56am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2244886

I’m afraid you have that backwards friend. The greens are the giants while the yellows are the ones that stay an easier to manage size. There are many good care sheets out there that answer most of your questions, just search "anaconda care sheet" and you should find them without too much effort.

11/29/11  08:06pm

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2245683

Yeah, was way too tired when I wrote this, brain fart :P

I have read about 15 care sheets and find waaaay too much contradicting info, so just curious what y’alls enclosures look like :) Material is so much better than theory, you know?

12/01/11  02:13pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2245840

Check out Ben Renick’s website if you haven’t yet (RenickReptiles.com). His info is spot on correct when it comes to captive care. Any enclosure appropriate for big pythons will work for anacondas. Plastic is best if you’ve got the bucks to spend. Mine are a mix of melamine and Formica sheeting which work well as long as the corners are sealed well.

12/01/11  05:31pm

Joeroy
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2245858

male green anacondas can be a good start to keeping big snakes males average 8 - 12 ft. 12ft being very large (nearly every caresheet exaggerates about there sizes). green anacondas also take quite a long time to grow aswell. a 6 x 3ft encloser would be a very big encloser for a male green. when they get fully grown there almost all aquatics all need alot of water. condas can be very docile. but dont get a female green there best left to zoos or very experinced handlers.

12/24/11  10:17am

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area