Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Phoenix23   MarkJohnson   Phoenix23   SoLA   Phoenix23   SoLA   Phoenix23   SoLA   Phoenix23   SoLA  
 Member  Message

Phoenix23
View Profile

I Got One!!!!

Picked this little one up at the last expo..... She was good as gold when I got her out there..... Since i’ve had her home she has biten me everytime i get her out...... so im workin with her...

Any tips some of the experianced people with condas have would be great....Thanks

10/14/10  05:22pm

MarkJohnson
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2181198

I Got One!!!!

Its a snake, treat it like any other one. I for one think snakes are pushovers, even though they are easily capable of causing alot of damage, they are so predictable and easy to work with. When they are a manageable size like this at least : ). I have began alot of work with varanids, so now when I reflect on working with snake species, I laugh at myself.

Be gentle, probably use a hook, any animal at a show will seem nicer since they arnt comfortable and heated in an enclosure at shows, so they are cold and lethargic, then you bring them home and they warm up and get cozy. Thats when you see their true colors. Just be really slow and gentle, and keep handling down to 5-10 minutes a day. She will calm in no time. Never grab, But rather use a hook to lift her body up, then slowly slip your hand under, then lift her up, no grabbing. Then let her work around as you handle her.

10/18/10  10:35pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: MarkJohnson   In reference to Message Id: 2181934

I Got One!!!!

HAHAHA... thanks for that information but im not a newbie at this....lol... when i said tips i meant on the species itself...... i know how to handle snakes large and ssmall...lol....

but one thing you said i dont agree with.... they are so predictable.... ummmm i dont think so.... my burms and boas yes but this little girl so is not.... she shows no signs of biting them wham she has you..... from what i can tell condas dont really have that pull back then lunge at you.... she just lunges.... or she’ll even roll her head to the side and nip on me.... its kinda weird....

Hope i dont sound like an at the start of this...... dont mean to come off like that

10/18/10  11:02pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2181937

I Got One!!!!

I like to offer decently large spaces with water bowl they can completely go in. However, they do fine with good humidity and water bowls for drinking that they can’t fit in. Just don’t make their enclosure "wet." Keep your heat low (hot ends below 90F and cool end in mid 70s). Bigger cages help keep better temp variation to give them the choice to thermoregulate.

With cooler temps also means you need to feed less. These snakes don’t eat often in the wild, and they should not in captivity if you want a long lived snake that isn’t "fat."

Biggest tip of all, urates will bond to plastic (even under water) in a relatively short period of time. Get them clean as soon as possible if you do not want to use the rest of your days energy scrubbing.

Ya, they don’t give a lot of warning before they bite and most like to eat...so keep your hands clean after handling anything that comes even close to smelling like food for them. Pay attention.

Other than this, you have a very easy to deal with snake.

10/20/10  03:48pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2182259

I Got One!!!!

PERFECT... thanks for that info SoLA.... I have her in a large 4 by 2 enclosure and she seems to like it... two large water dishes a large humid hide box and i made the substrate pretty deep so she burries herself a lot.....
My temps are about 87 and 74 so sounds like thats good.... she just shed today in one nice full piece so im happy with that.... i’ll have to get some good pictures up of her.... and ya she always seems hungry.... she ate when she was in blue which normally doesnt happen with my other snakes.....

Urates... I spot clean every single day... first thing i do when i awake is look at each one and same before bed.... and ya i know what you mean with sticking to the plastic.... Nasty stuff

Again thanks for the info..... 1 question tho.... what do you use for subsrate???

10/20/10  04:50pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2182287

I Got One!!!!

I have used newspaper, paper towels, indoor/outdoor carpet, and cypress mulch. I have liked them all and each has its small flaws, but cypress is probably the easiest to keep conditions ideal. I keep babies on paper towel and adults on cypress for the most part now. The only safe substrate I would stay away from is aspen. It will stick all over everything and keeping humidity up will be a challenge. I love a mixture of top soil and play sand but my cages are white so I only use this for the more dry species since it can make a mess when wet.

10/20/10  07:24pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2182327

I Got One!!!!

Hahaha... thats funny cause im using aspen....lol.... aslong as he has a humid hide box would it be ok to use the aspen???...

10/21/10  04:00pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2182538

I Got One!!!!

It’s fine lol, I just can’t stand it and it will make your job a little harder.

10/21/10  08:03pm

Phoenix23
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2182612

I Got One!!!!

What do you mean harder???.... i find it to be easier cause of the large enclosures i have..... i used to use the cypress and eco earth but got a little costly..... One time i bought a bunch of $5 bags of organic soil from lowes and it ended up giving my snakes mites

10/21/10  08:40pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Phoenix23   In reference to Message Id: 2182622

I Got One!!!!

I mean harder to keep humidity up, it sticks to everything when wet, and spills all over when you remove the snake. I have seen some soils have small bugs in in (which is why I treat with proventamite first), but I have never seen any substrate give a snake mites. You got a rough hand there.

If you like aspen and it is working for you...go for it. It just personally is my least favorite substrate. Some people love it and as long as it is safe and fits the needs of the individual...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There are lots of different ways to keep snakes, and so long as we all keep their needs a progressive priority in our efforts, we will all enjoy continued success!

Congrats and enjoy your new yellow...keep up with the pictures!

10/22/10  05:23am

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area