Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Pullins125   Mikebrown18   Mikebrown18   Pullins125   Mikebrown18   Pullins125   Pullins125   Mikebrown18   Pullins125  
 Member  Message

Pullins125
View Profile

New to condas

i am thinking bout getting a male yellow anaconda. i was wondering how most ppl set up their tanks. i heard many different things bout them not even much water and others that say that alot of water is required. i wanna set up a 125 gallon tank and set a 27 gallon tank inside it filled with water. i also read that it is best to start off with a smaller tank then move up in size. whats your experiences? also how do you set up your tanks? pics would also help.

07/11/10  11:37pm

Mikebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Pullins125   In reference to Message Id: 2161934

New to condas

Well it depends on the size of the snake you are getting. for a young snake i would house him in maybe a shoebox size container (tupperware, iris, etc.) or if you have it, a 10 gallon aquarium. if the tank is too large you could stress the aniumal. Im not a big fan of aquariums unless i have fish in them. Give the snake a hide box on one end that is just enough for him to get into and feel secure. you could put any number of substrates in there. I use newspaper for ease. you could use paper towels, cypress mulch, sani-chips, shredded pine. None of my yellows or greens really soak in water unless they are about to shed and they knock thier water bowls over anyway. I would put a small water bowl in there for it. I keep an ambient temperature at about 84 degrees with a hot spot of about 90. they are much easier to keep than many other boids. They seem to be alot more forgiving as well. Hope i could help. You can go to benrenick.com and look at his caresheet as well if you like.

07/12/10  07:03pm

Mikebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Mikebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2162147

New to condas

sorry. i meant to say shredded aspen. Do not use pine. it is bad.

07/12/10  07:12pm

Pullins125
View Profile

Message To: Mikebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2162149

New to condas

what kinda light do you suggest for the hot spot? and what would you use as a hiding spot? i can use a smaller tank at first. i have an older 28"x16"x14" tank i can use. i will also probably use shreddred aspen bedding as well. would a glass or screen top be best?

07/13/10  12:43am

Mikebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Pullins125   In reference to Message Id: 2162235

New to condas

well if you have to use anything use the screen top. just make sure you have the lid secured because yellows can be escape artists. a 75 watt heat bulb should be ok. i use one of the night bulbs. make sure you purchase from a reputable breeder as well. you will have less headaches that way.

07/13/10  03:49pm

Pullins125
View Profile

Message To: Mikebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2162332

New to condas

ok thanks for all your help. i probably will get my snake from a breeder off of here. most all my breeders some from private breeders. i feel they love there animals and tend to care for them better and wanna see whats best for the babies and parents.

07/14/10  08:00pm

Pullins125
View Profile

Message To: Pullins125   In reference to Message Id: 2162669

New to condas

just curious... can you set up a tank that is more like their natural enviroment? like do half water to half land? if so how would you set that up. i kinda wanna do a more natural enviroment for one instead of just a lg water bowl.

07/24/10  11:59pm

Mikebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Pullins125   In reference to Message Id: 2164847

New to condas

well you could i suppose. But most anacondas in captivity will usually stay on the land side. Also you have to be very careful about water blisters and such. Having them in a water set-up can cause a lot of skin and health issues. Also having a 50-50 setup will be extremely hard to maintain. it’ll need to maintained everyday to filter the water and keep bacteria from building up. I would stay as minimalistic as possible. The more time you can spend on your snake rather than its environment will be great. a lot of people that try the natural route end up getting burnt out on dealing with the maintenance and the animals suffers. just some advice.

07/26/10  08:21pm

Pullins125
View Profile

Message To: Mikebrown18   In reference to Message Id: 2165196

New to condas

ok i was just curious. i kinda wanna do the natural habitat if i can find a way not to affect the health of the snake. it is no problem for me to change the water several times a week, as i have many fish tanks and change water on a daily routine anyways. i just am having problems finding out how to set up a proper 50/50 setup for one. i got alot more research to do one a natural enviroment and health issues b4 i set one up. it may just be best to do a mainly land enviroment.

07/28/10  11:09am

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area