Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Monge   Missa249   Rickyael   Missa249   ADayToRemember   ADayToRemember   Abcdefgh   Abcdefgh   Mikebrown18  
 Member  Message

Monge
View Profile

Am I ready for a Yellow Anaconda?

Hi my name is Melanie. I’m 19 yrs old. I have had a passion for snakes since I was little. I have had everything from garter snakes to rat snakes. I have a 5 ft Columbian red-tailed male and a female ball right now and I love them both. I have had my boa for about 4 yrs and my ball for 1. Ive always been interested in the anaconda. I was interested in maybe getting a yellow anaconda since I know the greens get larger. I was wanting your honest opinion. Do you think I’m ready for one?

02/13/10  05:14pm

Missa249
View Profile

Message To: Monge   In reference to Message Id: 2123114

Well no matter what anacondas do get very large! We had a yellow anaconda for a long time, and he was pretty easy to care for. Last measurement was almost 6 feet and still farily young! I think that if you have the space for one you probably are ready, it sounds like you have handled snakes for a long time. I would suggest you dont get an adult though. Let them grow with you, as i have found that all our snakes that we got as young ages seems to be more attached to us, and easier to handle.
Oh and no nothing bad happened to our yellow, i just got scared cuz i was about to have another baby and he was getting a little angry and bit my brother in-law, so i was not willing to chance him near my new baby.. he is with my sister and doing very well! And eating a few large rabbits once a month!
Here is a pic of him when we first got him a couple years go, buddy of ours holding him.

02/13/10  06:24pm

Rickyael
View Profile

Message To: Missa249   In reference to Message Id: 2123147

your main concern should be aggression, not really size. male yellows get 8ish ft which isnt that big and females get 14ft max which is kinda big but male greens stay smaller than female yellows

02/23/10  10:58am

Missa249
View Profile

Message To: Rickyael   In reference to Message Id: 2126280

We all know that anaconda have a bad rep for aggression, but i do not believe all that hype. Just like any other large snake it need to be handled to know they are not in danger, and the more contact it has with you the better it gets each time, which is why i said to get a youngin not an adult..
This is kind of like the theory of PittBulls beeing mean, and turning on there owners. Never had a problem with them, nor have i seen any of our anconda’s or friends anaconda’s with more agression then any other snake. So go get one, and pick up a loyal pitt on your way lol..

02/23/10  11:14pm

ADayToRemember
View Profile

Message To: Missa249   In reference to Message Id: 2126542

ya i feel ya i had a nice tame conda, lazyguys smaller big female, my yellow only bit me once and my bay green was terrible, and i have seen mean ball pythons, its just some snakes aremean, some arent. but certain species do have higher odds of being aggressive. i own a pitt so i know their very sweet and loving.

02/25/10  06:12pm

ADayToRemember
View Profile

Message To: ADayToRemember   In reference to Message Id: 2127118

this is rickyael fyi. idk why it signed me in under this name lol

02/25/10  06:13pm

Abcdefgh
View Profile

Message To: Monge   In reference to Message Id: 2123114

Yeah, go for it. I don’t like how a lot of people say that you should build yourself up to get to a certain snake. When people say that they want a large snake and ask someone else’s opinion, they say, "have you had experience with large snakes before? I don’t think you’re ready".

Well, you have to start somewhere. Some people suggest you have to build a huge collection before you get your first anaconda/burme/boa. They say "get a ball python then a corn snake then a milk snake, then a blood python, then a dumerils boa, then a colombian boa, then a BCC, and then, and only then, are you ready for your anaconda." People can be so dumb sometimes.

I think if you research your snake A LOT, and you can provide for it with caging requirements and food, then you’re fine.

Sorry for the rant. Buy your conda. You’re ready if you have done the research.

08/12/10  11:16pm

Abcdefgh
View Profile

Message To: Abcdefgh   In reference to Message Id: 2169052

And after reading more posts on here I think I should continue ranting. Sorry.

I have seen posts that says if you have an RTB you should jump to a burmese first and then get an anaconda. First of all, WHY, and second of all, if you like the anaconda more than a burmese, why would you get a burmese first? A burmese isn’t something to use as a trial. A burmese is pretty serious, and so are anacondas. Now, I’m not recommending anacondas as a first time snake. I think a person should either get a ball python, red tail/dumerils boa, or some kind of tame colubrid as their first snake so they know if they actually like snakes or not. But if they have experience with one snake, there is no need to keep slowly advancing up the snake ladder.

Now, back to the burm thing. They get huge and can live usually 20 or 25 years. So what is it, by the time they hit so many feet they should say, "oh, ok, I’m ready for that anaconda now". NO! First of all, the temperament is usually different from burms to anacondas, though of course the individual snake can be different. But as a species, burms are usually more docile. I don’t see the reason why they should have to gain "experience" with the burm first. The redtail boa is definitely big enough to use for experience, or if they have done the research (and a lot of it), they should be able to get any snake they want as long as they know they can provide for it. They should have an enclosure bought or built, and they should be able to provide for the rats and rabbits needed to feed these large snakes. I also believe they should see an adult sized snake of the species they are buying in real life (not just in pictures) before they buy it.

But buying burms if they want an anaconda is a waste of time and money. Of course it is always a bonus if they know someone in real life who has the adult sized snake that they want to get. That’s another source of "experience".

Watch this youtube video, this is from an experienced herp keeper, and he echoes my theory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQuJgw5NAyw

And again, sorry for the rant.

08/12/10  11:33pm

Mikebrown18
View Profile

Message To: Abcdefgh   In reference to Message Id: 2169059

abcdefgh, i agree that people should get what they want as long as they have done their research and can provide properly for it. I usually ask people what they have kept and currently keep. Also i ask them if they have any experience with large constrictors. The size of the snake is not necessarily the reason i ask. You can get used to the size as the snake grows. I ask because a lot of the large constrictors are fast, can be flighty, and sometimes aggressive. Then lets throw on the extremely strong feeding response and that can be too much for some people to handle. this leads to people handling less, then all of the husbandry techniques suffer.
Lets not forget people have busy lives in today’s day and age. So when that baby snake becomes a 10ft snake in a year and the owner hasn’t handled it very much, it ll be a handful. most likely resulting in the owner getting rid of the snake.

08/14/10  09:53pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area