Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Tbone21   Defiler13   DJDeron   GoodNPlenty   DJDeron   Yemanja   Fairy Frog Mother   DJDeron   Yemanja   DJDeron   Yemanja   DJDeron   Fairy Frog Mother  
 Member  Message

Tbone21
View Profile

Cage

Hi all, I dont own a anaconda or dont plan to for a long time. I was just curious what everyone uses to house there big ones. I know there are not many comercial cages available big enough. Especially like lazyguy I know has a big female and I dont know who else has some of the adults. But how do you house them?

09/30/09  11:22am

Defiler13
View Profile

Message To: Tbone21   In reference to Message Id: 2078649

Cage

I don’t have a green conda but I keep my yellow conda is a 5’ long 3’ wide 17"tall boamaster

09/30/09  09:54pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Defiler13   In reference to Message Id: 2078920

Cage

Custom built enclosures are pretty much the only answer. I am pretty handy so I build all my own but there are several professional cage builders out there too.

I currently use different size cages either lined with formica or sealed with heavy spar polyurethane. I have plans drawn out for my currently unfinished basement to do built-in enclosures. For the big females they will be walk-ins with FRP walls, heated concrete floors, and sunken water tubs with drains. Everything will have plumbing running to it. Pick up the "chunky pieces" and rinse the rest down the drain. With cage maintenance that easy, I figure a quick daily walk thru is all that will be required to keep enclosures continuously clean and sanitary. Easy...that’s what I’m shooting for.

10/01/09  11:00am

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2079078

Cage

Once that’s done I will find a way to take over your residence!

That sounds like a dream setup for housing a couple big guys and gals! Very jealous of you if/when this happens!

~ GNP

10/06/09  03:02pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: GoodNPlenty   In reference to Message Id: 2080962

Cage

Someday I’ll get it all done. I had a fully plumbed 700 gallon gator pond complete with a pump out system in the basement of my last house. Of course usually these projects get all finished right about the time we decide to move somewhere else and then I have to start all over! Go figure.

10/09/09  12:12am

Yemanja
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2082049

Cage

Hey Deron,

your captive conda paradise sounds fabulous!! Would you be up for sharing some photos of the cages you have already built, maybe with a bit of a detail so that those of us keen on DIY can get inspired?

Im still readying myself to build a tank for my two axanthics, had a year full of distractions, still dreaming of it though, so any pictures would be helpfull!

Hope alls well with you, post some pics of your condas, too, please:)

11/02/09  10:08am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Yemanja   In reference to Message Id: 2090976

Cage

So, like...I didnt build this, nor have any part in its design. Nor is it my snake. I did however take this photo! This is Goliath’s Enclosure at the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco. This only shows a small part of it. The Signage says that there is an Iguana, which I have seen, and Boa Constrictors, which I still have not seen in the Enclosure as well. Mind you, the fish in the tank are between 6 and 8 inches long. It is part of an Exhibit on the Vanishing Amazon. The enclosure has about 6-8 feet to the left of the window which is simular to the "land" area you can see in the back of the pond. Its probably about oh...18 feet wide in total and 8 feet deep front to back.

Im told Goliath has been in several films, and is generally a very mellow snake. He is HUGE too...

11/02/09  03:45pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Yemanja   In reference to Message Id: 2090976

Cage

Yemanja! So glad to hear you still have those beauties and they are doing well! I’ll shoot you some info directly. If your email is not still the same, shoot me your new one and we’ll get in touch.

11/02/09  08:41pm

Yemanja
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2091257

Cage

Fairy Frog Mother, thats a fantastic picture, I presume that big creature in the water is Goliath, a green conda, right? If such a display woundnt be so uneconomical to keep, Im sure my condas would love it... Originally, I had ambitions to build them something similar tho smaller but I have learnt much in a year on practicalities.. Thank you for sharing this!

Hey, good old Deron, how are you? My email is still the same, can I see those amazing cages you built? What did you get upto in the last year then:)

11/03/09  12:13pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Yemanja   In reference to Message Id: 2091463

Cage

The cages I have now are not all that "amazing". The big plumbed ones I describe in an above post are planned for "someday". Cages I use right now are not any different than anyone else’s I’m sure. In simple terms, a big wood box that’s coated to make it waterproof with a sliding glass front and thumb screws to lock it shut. I use a keyless lamp holder for light and heat tape on the bottom for heat. Pretty simple.

11/03/09  03:33pm

Yemanja
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2091537

Cage

The cage in the picture with Tristan looks very neat to me. What do you waterproof it with? Can you tell me abt the heat matt logistics? I read that they are not suggested for large snakes whose body mass can cause them to overheat, also when they wee all over it, not good. Whats your experience? Thanks:)

11/04/09  08:14am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Yemanja   In reference to Message Id: 2091819

Cage

The cage in the background of that pic is one I specially made for the bigger girl and is the only one like that I have. The rest are the simple ones. That one is made from particle board covered in Formica (counter top laminate). It is sealed with latex/silicon kitchen sealant. The hinged doors are 1/4" glass in a grooved 2x2 frame polyurethaned to seal them. Not the cheapest way to go but works quite well.

Anytime you use a heat mat or tape you need to have some way to regulate it, either with a thermostat or a rheostat (light dimmer switch). This will keep them from over heating. The heat tape I use is the 11" wide stuff from flexwatt. Now, here is my disclaimer.....the following is NOT the recommended way to use heat tape with wooden cages. If you use it the way I do you must closely monitor temps and you should use a good thermostat to prevent overheating which could cause a fire. So if you do it my way, you do so at your own risk. With that said, I used a router to recess an area in the bottom of the cage on the underneath side (outside). This provides a place for the tape to sit into and allows air flow around the tape. It will gently warm the portion of floor directly over the tape. Because it is not inside the cage, there is no direct contact with the animal or it’s excretions. I have used it this way for years without incident but there again, you must pay close attention to it and have some sort of fail safe to turn it off, should it get too hot.

By the way, there will be an enclosure section on my website and a DVD on cage building is in the works as well. (There actually will be several DVDs for sale on the site once it’s up and running). Just be patient, I’m working as fast as I can!

11/04/09  11:06am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 2091854

Cage

Yeah Yemanja, Goliath is a male green anaconda. Im sure he has earned his way into that amazing set up with his "Performances" in movies, commercials and educational programs. (Probably even earned food for many of the other critters kept there)

I do know the entire building is made with ecology in mind with the latest technology to be energy efficient. The insulation for the roof for example is native california plants which are drought tolerant. Ahh what we all would do if we had multi million dollar budgets to work with.

12/16/09  04:31pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area