Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Goodeyesniper75   LAZYGUY123   DJDeron   Yemanja   DJDeron   LAZYGUY123   Goodeyesniper75   DJDeron   Goodeyesniper75   DJDeron   Goodeyesniper75   DJDeron   Goodeyesniper75   Goodeyesniper75   Joog   Goodeyesniper75   SoLA   DJDeron   DFWJames   Wteedee  
 Member  Message

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Anaconda water?

hello, i have a 5-6 foot yellow anaconda which was given to me about 3 weeks ago. the enclosure that it came in was bot the best so i am making a new one with a "pond" type area for it with a pump and filter so i can keep the water clean. Should i try to regulate the water temperature? or is it ok just to let it be whatever it is?

02/23/09  11:22am

LAZYGUY123
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1957750

Anaconda water?

Well if your going through all the trouble with everything else, might as well conrtrol the water temp. I mean you will have to make sure its warm anyway. Can’t have it to cold. I would say 75-80.

02/23/09  02:56pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: LAZYGUY123   In reference to Message Id: 1957825

Anaconda water?

Be aware that while a pump and filter will remove physical particles from the water, they will not remove all the other contaminates. Anacondas love to defecate in their water and what a vile mess it is. Frequent water changes, and I do mean frequent, will be necessary to keep your anaconda healthy. I admire your enthusiasm, but you may find that providing just a tub or bowl to be a better choice for ease of dumping and cleaning. Water temps need to stay above 70 degrees.

Personally, I keep a drinking bowl in with my anacondas and mist to ensure the humidity levels stay up where they belong. I let mine out to swim and soak periodically while doing cage maintenance only. Fact is, they can live perfectly healthy lives without continuous access to a tub or pond in which to soak.

02/23/09  03:33pm

Yemanja
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1957840

Anaconda water?

Hmmmm...one day I will employ an animal communicator to find out what the anacondas really think about this perfectly healthy living with their dog water bowls ;)

02/23/09  03:58pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Yemanja   In reference to Message Id: 1957853

Anaconda water?

There you go with that anthropomorphic way of thinking again.....

02/23/09  04:35pm

LAZYGUY123
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1957874

Anaconda water?

I agree Dj. But never turn down a super sweet setup. But yes frequent water change would be very necessary. They do love to poo in there.lol Just be prepared to do lots of water changing. I only keep a drinking bowl but do put them in there kiddy pool a bunch.

02/23/09  06:33pm

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: LAZYGUY123   In reference to Message Id: 1957923

Anaconda water?

since he is still kinda small the water area in the tank is fairly small anyway, maybe 12"x20" and about 6" deep or so. And changing the water should not be to big of a deal because i will have a pump to pump the water out and then i could just wipe it out and refill. i know that they do not need water to be 100% healthy, but they are a "water" snake and i think he deserves the right to get in a good water source when he wants. Plus because it glass i can watch him underwater which looks awesome. When this guy outgrows this tank i wont do it again, but then i will have a sweet setup for a baby green.

02/24/09  08:11am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958255

Anaconda water?

At five to six feet, if it happens to be a male yellow, you’ll find that it won’t grow much more than another foot or two.

There are different schools of thought on water for captive anacondas. I won’t go into that any deeper here other than to say that in a wild ecosystem, they poop and swim away from it. They are not confined in a small container with it. Think about it, pee in your swimming pool, it’s not a big deal, but pee in your bathtub, well that’s pretty nasty. You’ll probably find you need to change your water out several times a week. Most people won’t keep that regimen up if it’s not super-duper easy. As long as you’re willing to do this, it sounds like you’ll have a nice set-up.

02/24/09  08:45am

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1958269

Anaconda water?

changing my water is going to be as easy as taking the hose out of the tank let it empty into a bucket than refill. plus because it will have a filter on it other than when it takes care of business in there it should stay fairly clean on its own. im guessing that the water area will be approx 2-3 gal. and the pump/filter is good up to 20 gal so it should keep the water clean. i also don’t know if its a male or female and im also not sure how old it really is either. it was mis-treated and i rescued it. the last owner wouldn’t hold it because he was afraid of it but this guy is puppy dog tame and i can barely get a hiss out of it.

02/24/09  09:04am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958277

Anaconda water?

Congrats on stepping in and rescuing the critter. It’s a very common tale with anacondas especially. At the five to six foot size you can pretty accurately determine anaconda sex by the spurs. If the spurs are quite noticeable and stick out like pronounced little hooks, then it’s a male. If the spurs are small and withdrawn into the body and you basically just see a small indent in the body with the very tip of the spur visible, then you’ve got yourself a girl.

At the size of yours, and assuming the animal is more than a year or so old, the growth rate drops dramatically so at least you won’t have to worry about it growing like a weed and becoming this huge monster. Females top out around 10-12 feet and if it was mis-treated then chances are it’s growth has been stunted to a certain extent so it will probably never reach typical adult sizes anyway. That’s great for you ’cause eight footers are a lot easier to deal with than twelve footers.

02/24/09  09:29am

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1958281

Anaconda water?

well then i have a girl. almost not spurs at all. i know she is older than 4 but could be 6 years old. a friend of mine got her at birth than at 2-3 years old he gave her to someone because he was going away to school. and he has had her since and was very afraid of her. even when i went to get her from this guy he would only pick her up with a hook, and had not changed the bedding in her cage in 6 months +. He also fed her chipmunks and stuff that he caught in his yard. i honestly cant believe how healthy she is. just shed last night has very good markings, very beautiful. but what worries me is i have had her for about 2 weeks and tried 2 times to feed her with no success. Any tips on getting her to eat?

02/24/09  09:38am

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958283

Anaconda water?

As long as she has good weight don’t worry about her not feeding for a while. Anacondas can take a little while to settle into a new home and it is common for some to go on and off feed throughout the year anyway (my male hasn’t eaten anything in almost three months because of being in breeder mode). Remember also these guys can go for long periods of time between feedings in the wild so they’re sort of biologically designed for long fasting. Keep offering food every few weeks and she should eventually eat when she feels ready. Keep a close eye on temp and humidity too. Often they will not eat if temps are incorrect.

02/24/09  10:58am

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1958304

Anaconda water?

im on a once a week feeding so i have been offering her first and is she doesnt take in an hour or so i just feed the rat to one of my others. she also just shed like i said so maybe this week she will be hungry.

02/24/09  11:04am

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958309

Anaconda water?

here she is.

02/25/09  08:36am

Joog
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958864

Anaconda water?

Nice snake.

03/02/09  04:16am

Goodeyesniper75
View Profile

Message To: Joog   In reference to Message Id: 1961578

Anaconda water?

she is very sweet! i love her. she ate last night finally and took a larger rat like a champ so im gunna have to go up next week.

03/02/09  10:46am

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1961681

Anaconda water?

I love those yellow anacondas with the huge spots. Cool snake.

Filters are a tough way to go for anacondas, and a secondary bowl is not a bad idea.

03/02/09  12:51pm

DJDeron
View Profile

Message To: Goodeyesniper75   In reference to Message Id: 1958864

Anaconda water?

Very nice looking. Real nice contrast to her.

03/02/09  03:59pm

DFWJames
View Profile

Message To: DJDeron   In reference to Message Id: 1961814

Anaconda water?

I don’t have Anaconda, I have reticulated pythons but I was messing around and found your question. I built my encloser and it is 6x7x30" with my 12-14 ft retic male and my 8 ft tiger female. While they are different snakes they do have some similar traits. I have a 14x24x6 inch container filled with water in the middle of their cage and I have to change it daily. It holds 5 gallons of water and in the middle of the night when I come check on them every now and then they use it like a pool and love it, I would skip the pump idea. After they swim in it every night they use it as a toilet so first thing is changing the water and drinking my coffee. I would suggest a clear container from Walmart so you can see better because it is clear if the water has changed colors to pee yellow or has something floating in it. It doesn’t look cool like a pond or colored container but does make life easier.

James

04/17/09  05:59pm

Wteedee
View Profile

Message To: DFWJames   In reference to Message Id: 1987789

Anaconda water?

why do all the best looking snakes have to grow up to be giants?!

:(

06/03/09  01:48pm

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area