Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anacondas Forum

Drepop   Asira   Asira   GoodNPlenty   Carpondro17   JimmyDavid   Carpondro17   Reptile_dan   JimmyDavid   Carpondro17   GoodNPlenty   JimmyDavid   Drepop   Drepop   JimmyDavid   Tiffany21   Carpondro17   The_2nd_baseman   GoodNPlenty   JimmyDavid   Silenceafable   Carpondro17   GoodNPlenty   Gaboon   GoodNPlenty   JimmyDavid   Zach01313   Zach01313   GoodNPlenty   JimmyDavid  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Drepop
View Profile

30ft. anacondas?

Alright we all hear that anacondas get like 30ft and their considered exra large snakes but has anyone ever seen one whether in person, video, or picture. Why cant anybody ever find one. If you go to venezuela and brazil the locals will say they seen 40-50 footers but the experts who live there say the biggest they seen is like 17-18ft. Even in captivity they dont get that big. My theory is that they dont. Its so easy to find 20+foot burmese’ and retics, rock pythons are not that popular but you still can find 20footers. What anacondas are is thick heavy bodied snakes but being the 2nd longest species of snake I disagree. Then why are locals seeing 50footer I dont know but why is it so hard to just find a 20footer. The biggest I ever seen was 18ft and it was a pet. I dont no but you guys put you opinions.

06/29/08  11:34pm

Asira
View Profile

Message To: Drepop   In reference to Message Id: 1778205

30ft. anacondas?

why dont you look it up on google or something?

06/30/08  12:11am

Asira
View Profile

Message To: Asira   In reference to Message Id: 1778236

30ft. anacondas?

here’s an interesting pic I got, but its kinda graphic....
An anaconda that ate a full-grown man

once they cut open the snake...

06/30/08  12:21am

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: Asira   In reference to Message Id: 1778243

30ft. anacondas?

That patterning does not look particularly Anaconda, and I’ve seen that pictured labeled as a variety of things.

Rumors circulated widely when that first came out that the 2 pics are independent of one another and that the first one was a wild pig of some kind that was eaten.

Real, fake... I’m no photo expert so I dont know.

~GNP

06/30/08  12:31am

Carpondro17
View Profile

Message To: Asira   In reference to Message Id: 1778243

30ft. anacondas?

Both of thoes pics are pics of retics.
Heres the largest green I have ever seen. Its 25ft ( well thats what they say )
http://you tube.com/watch?v=qJ0smYH-V7E
( take the space out between you and tube )
I find it hard to see 20+ft burms I have only seen one. As for African rocks the biggest iv’e seen was a 16ft, But I think some Scrub pythons are capable to reach that 20ft mark.

06/30/08  08:52am

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: Carpondro17   In reference to Message Id: 1778391

30ft. anacondas?

I wouldn’t trust claims from Serpent safari... they always exagerated stats. Now i believe that this other anaconda here is bigger than that last, but this is a wild one:
http://you tube.com/watch?v=R5NuId56ux0

06/30/08  03:07pm

Carpondro17
View Profile

Message To: JimmyDavid   In reference to Message Id: 1778712

30ft. anacondas?

Wow thats a big snake!

06/30/08  10:35pm

Reptile_dan
View Profile

Message To: Carpondro17   In reference to Message Id: 1779152

30ft. anacondas?

Not sure how many of you watched the documentary on the National Geographical channel called "Killer Snakes" i think, but I might be wrong, any way they proved that the anaconda could NOT swallow an adult human, its jaws could not get round the shoulders. However is would be able to to swallow a child.

07/01/08  07:34am

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_dan   In reference to Message Id: 1779418

30ft. anacondas?

You know what the problem is with those "experts" that travel around the world filming big snakes? They don’t have one at home!
They come up with their theories and all, but they haven’t watched these giants eat enough times to realise that they coil around the dead prey when they are good to eat and start squeezing the item to better swallow it (kind of like a big piece of pizza that just needs an extra fold to fit in your mouth). In the process they will crush bones if they have to... humans are one of the most fragile boned creatures, i am sure an adult anaconda is strong enough to make a mess of our shoulders in the process and just eat... and you know they aren’t going anywhere, they’ve got all the time in the world. LOL

07/01/08  08:20am

Carpondro17
View Profile

Message To: JimmyDavid   In reference to Message Id: 1779437

30ft. anacondas?

LOL True!
And many Anacondas tend to over kill their food. I know a guy whose anaconda overkills its prey fro around 90 min!!!! WOW. Thats the lomngest I heard. I allready think people think were ’’crazy’’ for haveing such big animals but I think its a passion :D
Its just differnt haveing one then looking at one on tv or in the zoo.
I have to agree with jimmydavid again because what he says is true the herpotoligist ( most of them ) dont have such big snakes.

07/01/08  12:12pm

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: Carpondro17   In reference to Message Id: 1779581

30ft. anacondas?

Burms are certainly capable of breaking 20+ feet but as with all animals now adays, lack of environment and food/hunting/living conditions and restrictions are ever becoming more confining making these beautiful giants harder to find.
Rocks are typically smaller than burms and Ive yet to see one over 16 feet as well.
Scrub pythons reaching 20 feet? Never seen it or heard of any over 17 feet, but since I have a bit of a bias against them, I must confess I really don’t go searching for reports on them lol.

As for eating...
Indeed, a human would be fine prey for just about any snake over 17 feet IF it felt so inclined. By this I mean obviously that it could physically swallow you.

Now if you were frozen solid or had rigor mortis, then yes this might not be the case as we are a fairly broadshouldered species (go us!). However, in between all our wonderful shoulders and chest bones there are more than a few bands of carteliage, tendons, etc.

The very method by which they kill (constriction) already tells us that the ribcage and chest cavity of the victim must be collapsed. As you lose muscle tension due to ever decreasing oxygen in your blood, you cannot sustain outward pressure from your lungs, obliques(muscles along your sides) or your abs and pecs. It does not take much force at all to crack a human sternum (chest), infact people end up in serious injuries from cracked sternums during cPR rescues if there is too much force applied during the compressions.
So by now the open space that is your chest cavity is roughly the size of your hips and all that remains is your arms/shoulders...

Try this one at home....
Mark off on a door/wall how broad your shoulders are. Now try and touch your shoulders together from the FRONT and have someone remark. You probably cut off at least 4 inches of width and that was WITHOUT dislocating your shoulders (personal experiece says its not a fun thing).

Heck, most of us have seen the vids saying anacondas can crush with X amount of pounds per square inch. The amount most people like to quote is that of the school bus on your chest. Even toning it down to a regular car, imagine what YOUR shoulders would look like if you lay on your side and someone lowered a car onto it. Ick!

Whew! That was one of the more fun posts I’ve gotten to make recently!

~GNP

07/02/08  01:43am

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: GoodNPlenty   In reference to Message Id: 1780262

30ft. anacondas?

You lived up to your nickname with this post, huh!? LOL... ;)

07/02/08  08:57am

Drepop
View Profile

Message To: Carpondro17   In reference to Message Id: 1778391

30ft. anacondas?

Its hard to see 20+ft burms? Look it up on the ineternet its not uncommon to see them that big. I mean yeah they look like they were powerfed but still 20footers go on a forum or something trust me you’ll see owners with 20 foot burms. cant say the same for anacondas. That 1st pic of the snake with the human is clearly a retic its not even hard to tell.

07/02/08  11:59am

Drepop
View Profile

Message To: JimmyDavid   In reference to Message Id: 1778712

30ft. anacondas?

Finally. Thank you jimmydavid. I finally seen an anaconda that seems 20ft. or more. They say 8mt which is a lil over 26ft. but I dont think so but anyway still a 20+ft. It took a long time but its good to see man eating condas haha. ey your the guy with a big retic right? haha.

07/02/08  12:08pm

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: Drepop   In reference to Message Id: 1780508

30ft. anacondas?

Oh yeah, retics, all sorts of big pythons... hehe.. you name it.

07/02/08  03:38pm

Tiffany21
View Profile

Message To: JimmyDavid   In reference to Message Id: 1780736

30ft. anacondas?

OK not a anaconda but on this website is a 49ft 983lbs retic that is in a zoo in Indonesia that they got from a tribe that had the snake as a leader.http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750/p1/0/

07/02/08  04:47pm

Carpondro17
View Profile

Message To: Tiffany21   In reference to Message Id: 1780814

30ft. anacondas?

That information is false. I checked throught it a couple of times, and reporters exadureate...

07/02/08  08:01pm

The_2nd_baseman
View Profile

Message To: Carpondro17   In reference to Message Id: 1780997

30ft. anacondas?

Why would people do that,it is so stupid to lie about stuff that really dont matter.Sorry I posted that under my wife’s name

07/02/08  09:47pm

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: The_2nd_baseman   In reference to Message Id: 1781080

30ft. anacondas?

Bit of an old story there, aside from the fact that it tends to be common knowledge that no snake has ever been found over 40 ft.

I believe National Geographic has had an ongoing reward out for one, that is now up somewhere around $50k

~GNP

07/03/08  12:04am

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: GoodNPlenty   In reference to Message Id: 1781278

30ft. anacondas?

I believe the reward is for any snake 30 feet or more ( it started out with a strong inclination for an anaconda, but any kind of snake could do) and the entity responsible for the payment changes with each story, last i heard it was the Bronx zoo... i guess it has become a bit of urban legend by now.

07/03/08  08:33am

Silenceafable
View Profile

Message To: JimmyDavid   In reference to Message Id: 1781431

30ft. anacondas?

back to whether or not a conda could eat a human. well, did anyone see the Nat’l Geo or Animal Planet special where they actually measured the force inside the coils of an adult anaconda? they fed it a bird with a pressure sensor attached to it. Their highest reading was about the equivalent of having a school bus parked on your chest. they can definitely break bones. the case of the snake not being able to get around shoulders was a retic. it is one of the only documented cases of a snake trying to eat a human. a wildlife officer came upon a large retic trying to eat a full grown man, but the body was lying face down and the snake could not get around the shoulders b/c it’s mouth could not stretch that far horizontally. had the body been on it’s side, they believe it could have stretched it’s mouth far enough vertically to get around the shoulders.

07/03/08  09:35am

Carpondro17
View Profile

Message To: Silenceafable   In reference to Message Id: 1781485

30ft. anacondas?

What if the snake ate from the feet up?
And yea an anaconda could easily kill someone but who cares if it can eat you if your dead? LOL

07/03/08  01:39pm

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: Silenceafable   In reference to Message Id: 1781485

30ft. anacondas?

The bird sensor is the case to which I was referring about the school bus.

As to the retic eating sideways... I’m sure I’m not the only one to see a snake let go of a food item and try again from a different position when it had trouble. I think this snake may have just decided it wasnt worth the effort in the end, but who can say for sure. I’d like to know the crushing potential of a full grown Retic or Burm for comparisson.

As far as eating from the feet up.. it sounds plausible (sometimes one of my more foolish snakes will eat a rat butt first!) but it would generally mean that the human was laying on their front/back because otherwise in all likelihood the legs would be slightly splayed out meaning the snake would pick 1 or the other and end up getting nowhere once it reached the hips.

~GNP

07/03/08  09:40pm

Gaboon
View Profile

Message To: Reptile_dan   In reference to Message Id: 1779418

30ft. anacondas?

The question in my mind is not whether a 30-foot anaconda could eat a human, but whether there is or ever has been a 30-foot anaconda to do it. Natives in South America report seeing anacondas 50 to 60 feet long. The early Spanish explorers reported sightings of anacondas as much as 100 feet long. Apparently, today’s natives don’t read “The Adventures of Anaconda-Man” published in the 16th century. If they did, they’d probably be seeing 200-foot snakes today.

Some anaconda fans insist there are some huge anacondas (40 feet-plus) living in remote areas of western Brazil, but they are almost extinct because their habitat is being destroyed. That contradicts what I have read about snakes in general: When their habitat is being destroyed, they are exposed and are easier to find than they were in their undisturbed habitat. In many cases, the record length for a snake is about 40 to 50 percent longer than the length of a large adult female. That sounds about right for the retic (large = 20 feet-plus, record = 30 feet-plus) and the indigo snake (large = 6 feet-plus, record = 8 feet-plus). Using the 50 percent factor for the anaconda, large = 18 feet and the record = 27 feet. That looks about right.

If you look at the photo Asira posted of a very well fed retic, it appears that somebody failed to tell that snake how to use the “crush to fit” technique. What a snake might be able to do and what it actually does may be two different things, and there’s nothing to indicate that snakes use constriction to shape their prey to make it easier to swallow. That’s probably a good thing, at least for us. Maybe we’re lucky to have broad shoulders so more of us aren’t eaten by large constrictors. It doesn’t really matter because those snakes usually don’t start to swallow until their prey is dead. I would bet that more than one small human has been eaten by an anaconda in the wilds of South America, but the South American wilderness has never been as heavily populated as the wilds of Southeast Asia and a snake eating a human might go unreported.

I have seen documented reports of retics eating humans, but not one of them ever mentioned the length of the snake. Does anyone have any information on that?

07/10/08  01:38am

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: Gaboon   In reference to Message Id: 1789335

30ft. anacondas?

"Some anaconda fans insist there are some huge anacondas (40 feet-plus) living in remote areas of western Brazil, but they are almost extinct because their habitat is being destroyed. That contradicts what I have read about snakes in general: When their habitat is being destroyed, they are exposed and are easier to find than they were in their undisturbed habitat."

No contradiction here. Extinct by definition means harder to find, so land clearing would not necessarily indicate a find of a large snake and would likely stunt the growth of large snakes as prey items become more scarce and competition for food becomes fiercer.

"In many cases, the record length for a snake is about 40 to 50 percent longer than the length of a large adult female. That sounds about right for the retic (large = 20 feet-plus, record = 30 feet-plus) and the indigo snake (large = 6 feet-plus, record = 8 feet-plus). Using the 50 percent factor for the anaconda, large = 18 feet and the record = 27 feet. That looks about right."

Sounds about right to me as I believe the anaconda record is somwhere in the 27 foot range.

"What a snake might be able to do and what it actually does may be two different things, and there’s nothing to indicate that snakes use constriction to shape their prey to make it easier to swallow."

While it might not always happen, this does not mean that there is nothing to support it. I’m sure everyone has taken an overly large bite of food at one point and had the enjoyment of a minute or 2 of chewing to swallow it all down. Chewing here would be analogous to constriction to make ingestion easier.

As far as the retic... The story I heard was that a warden in a park/refugee who saw the retic noted that the human body looked like it had been dead longer than the snake had been eating it, but I’ll have to do some browsing to double check.

~GNP

~GNP

07/10/08  01:54am

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: GoodNPlenty   In reference to Message Id: 1789342

30ft. anacondas?

Gaboon, believe it. Big boids do use constriction to squeeze the food item so they can better take it in. The reason why i know is so silly and probably holds no credit but here goes nothing... it’s because I DEAL WITH BIG CONSTRICTORS every day. Lol.

07/10/08  02:15am

Zach01313
View Profile

Message To: Drepop   In reference to Message Id: 1778205

30ft. anacondas?

hmmmmm intresting i have a green anaconda passed on from my dad shes a 23 foot female named cheese i have never really thought about filming and taking pics of her but i will now i guess you never see huge pet anacondas mainly because everyone is scared of them by the time they get around 12 feet because they are meaty snakes unlike the nice and slim burmese which people are no where near as scared of mainly because they are alot nicer then anacondas and that is why they are kept lomger and are seen more often also the anaconda lives longer then the burmese python so usualy they are let go when unwanted my father caught my anaconda when it was a baby in the everglades so wild or unwild they are tamer then most snakes my anaconda has only nipped me 3 times in my whole life my gren tree python bites me 3 times a day lol ,and doesnt usually let go but anywho anacondas getting up to 30 ft is rare to see because mainly do experts expect to find a 35 foot anaconda when they are trying to prove they cant get that big and single handedly pull it out of a swamp and take pictures of it? even if you had 10 brave men that would be a major hassle and you never see any captive large snakes because they are usualy let go or die because people cant take care of them but when they are let go in unnatural wilderness they cant hunt for them selves an die or get sick and die so i believe without a doubt they can get 30+ft if kept healthy

07/11/08  03:22pm

Zach01313
View Profile

Message To: Tiffany21   In reference to Message Id: 1780814

30ft. anacondas?

wow ive seen this video and pics so many times and they keep changing the story oh its 23 feet oh now its 49ft the news will say anything to get your attention

07/11/08  03:28pm

GoodNPlenty
View Profile

Message To: Zach01313   In reference to Message Id: 1791376

30ft. anacondas?

Punctuation is your friend! It makes your ideas much easier to read when you use punctuation

"hmmmmm intresting i have a green anaconda passed on from my dad shes a 23 foot female named cheese i have never really thought about filming and taking pics of her but i will now"

wow, at 24 feet that would be one of the longest snakes in private captivity. Bob Clark has the longest I think in "Fluffy", his female retic.

"i guess you never see huge pet anacondas mainly because everyone is scared of them by the time they get around 12 feet because they are meaty snakes unlike the nice and slim burmese which people are no where near as scared of mainly because they are alot nicer then anacondas and that is why they are kept lomger and are seen more often"

If a burm/conda are both the same length, yes the conda will be meatier, but burms over 12 feet are considerably heftier than snakes like retics of the same length. temperment is always different which each snake, but certainly anacondas have the reputation of being more aggressive, even if sometimes it is an undeserved image of them.

"also the anaconda lives longer then the burmese python so usualy they are let go when unwanted"

As far as I was aware burms typically tend to outlive greens...

"my father caught my anaconda when it was a baby in the everglades so wild or unwild they are tamer then most snakes [parts removed for room] but anywho anacondas getting up to 30 ft is rare to see because mainly do experts expect to find a 35 foot anaconda when they are trying to prove they cant get that big and single handedly pull it out of a swamp and take pictures of it?"

Bit of a contradiction to your statements : "unlike the nice and slim burmese which people are no where near as scared of mainly because they are alot nicer then anacondas and that is why they are kept lomger and are seen more often"
And I’m fairly sure people realize they wont pull up at 25+ foot anaconda by themselves

"and you never see any captive large snakes because they are usualy let go or die because people cant take care of them but when they are let go in unnatural wilderness they cant hunt for them selves an die or get sick and die"

There are plenty of 14+ foot snakes in the world in private captivity. And usually when people cant handle a snake that long they usually either sell it, give it to a breeder or euthenize/shelter it. Release of snakes into a place like the everglades is a very place specific occurence since that happens to be an environment that is warm year round, provides dry/wet conditions when needed and frankly is a very good snake habitat. You wouldnt see that further north where colder weather would kill the snakes or where the landscape just doesnt have the large open acreage that the everglades can provide.

~GNP

07/11/08  06:01pm

JimmyDavid
View Profile

Message To: GoodNPlenty   In reference to Message Id: 1791598

30ft. anacondas?

Did i just read that burmese pythons are slim snakes??

07/11/08  06:56pm
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Anacondas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area