Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

HerpsRox   Sh0e   HerpsRox   Sh0e   HerpsRox   Sh0e   HerpsRox   Futurevet12  
 Member  Message

HerpsRox
View Profile

Getting new bullfrog tads

in about 2 or 3 weeks im getting some bullfrog tads its gonna have some instructions but i dont believe that junk id rather speak to people that have expierience with bullfrogs/tads whats a good type of food for them as tads and bullfrogs, please also give me some advice THX!!!

06/22/09  03:29pm

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: HerpsRox   In reference to Message Id: 2027083

Set your bull frog tads up as you would a tropical fish tank. Warm water, pH isn’t a big issue as long as it’s not to extreme either way.

Tadpoles.
Feed them a high quality fish food. You can also give them frozen foods like bloodworms, microworms, and brine shrimp. (Brine shrimp are high in salt, so only in moderation) They are omnivors, and will eat veggies to, blanched spinach or collard greens are good choices.

As a developed frog, they will eat mainly insects and worms. Adult bull frogs will eat anything they can catch though, small birds, rodents, insects, lizards, snakes, other bull frogs. They will also need a very large space to live in or they can smash their heads when jumping, they can kill themsleves like this. Be prepared to offer around 100 gallons of living space (and that’s still too small in some people’s opinions). Best option is if you have a pond in your garden or an indoor pond. I’m not saying you need to buy a 100+ gallon aquarium, if you’re handy you can build it.

Don’t worry though, you have plenty of time. Bull frogs develop slowly.

06/22/09  10:16pm

HerpsRox
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2027270

thx A LOT!!and my garden is actually a side yard so in my backyard there is a pool so do you think if they wanted to they could hop right out of my garden and into the pool and die cause the pool has chlorine also my garden has a gate and the gate has openings plz answer

06/23/09  07:07pm

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: HerpsRox   In reference to Message Id: 2027693

Bullfrogs need a lot of water. If you keep them in a tank or enclosure, make sure at least about 1/2 of it is water. Unless your garden has a pond they will hop away in search of water. This could very well land them in your pool, which could kill them. Chlorine is toxic toxic for frogs. It’d be like you taking a dip in a diluted sulfuric acid bath.

06/23/09  09:49pm

HerpsRox
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2027797

Ya im going to get a pond and put it in my garden hopefully he doesnt escape and go looking somewhere else! also can you give me sum help on how to care for lil bullfrog tads plz thx A LOT for your help!

06/24/09  12:07am

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2027270

Quote:

Set your bull frog tads up as you would a tropical fish tank. Warm water, pH isn’t a big issue as long as it’s not to extreme either way.

Tadpoles.
Feed them a high quality fish food. You can also give them frozen foods like bloodworms, microworms, and brine shrimp. (Brine shrimp are high in salt, so only in moderation) They are omnivors, and will eat veggies to, blanched spinach or collard greens are good choices.

It’s not much different than keeping a fish. I’ll help you, but a google search on tadpole care and tropical fish tank set up will give you more information than me typing it out for you.

I don’t mean to be too preachy, but it’s better to do your research first before you get the animal. Better late than never I suppose.

06/24/09  02:58am

HerpsRox
View Profile

Message To: Sh0e   In reference to Message Id: 2027877

OK thx A LOT for your help i hope they turn out right

06/24/09  10:41am

Futurevet12
View Profile

Message To: HerpsRox   In reference to Message Id: 2027083

i heard those take 4EVER to develop lol