Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Shepherdgirl   Sh0e  
 Member  Message

Shepherdgirl
View Profile

I need help/GOLIATH frog

Please, I need all the info and suggestions you can offer me. I have always wanted to keep frogs. For my birthday I went to store to get my first frog, I keep all kinds of other things and have ample supplies and containers and such. As the pet shop clerk was feeding the critters in the reptile room, I helped him by holding a frog that was trying to take off and got attached to it. It seemed to feel safe in my hands. They knew very little about this frog, it is not large, maybe the size of a med pacman frog. They said they were feeding it crickets and meal worms, and had it in a VERY small container. The price was less than most of the smaller more colorful frogs. I knew I could take better care of it. Once I got home and looked it up on the internet guess whaat?....Its a goliath frog!!!! I paid 36.00 for it. I have looked every where, and cant find anyone who has kept them in captivity. I want to give it the best possible life I can. I would like to set it up in super large semi-aquatic vivarium with rocks and falling water. Right now its not that big and I am looking for large plastic bins or terrarium type containers so I can change them up until I get the super large one. I didnt want to feed an animal mice and stuff like that and I’ll have to won’t I?? I know it’s endangered now and would not have brought it home if I knew, but then again, I really couldn’t leave it there living in the smallest critter keeper they had. Please everyone talk to me, I would like lots of info and suggestions. Thanks, Shep

03/17/09  01:41pm

Sh0e
View Profile

Message To: Shepherdgirl   In reference to Message Id: 1970058

I need help/GOLIATH frog

happily mice is not a important part to a balanced frog’s diet. they are high in fat and can lead to a number of problems like kidney failure and death. can you feed it mice? yes, once every other month would be okay. do you have to? no. Stick to crickts, roaches, and worms and you’ll have a happy healthy frog. They’re not too active. As a youngster it’s fine to keep it in a small tank. Just use coco fiber and make sure he/she has fresh water. Upgrade the tank size as it grows. It’s not a tough frog to keep. temps around high 70’s to low 80’s. make sure the substrate is moist but not soaked.

06/04/09  01:16am

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area