Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Coltsguy18   Animal lover!   Angelkitty   Coltsguy18   Clawedfrogsrule   Shutterstud06  
 Member  Message

Coltsguy18
View Profile

African Clawed Frog and Goldfish

I have a 5 inch Alrican Clawed Frog. In order to help keep the tank cleaner i was wondering about intorducing a few goldfish to eat what ever scraps the frog doesnt. This is assuming that they are too big to fit into her mouth. How big would they need to be and does anyone have any experince or an oppinion on keeping the two together.

05/11/08  05:02pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Coltsguy18   In reference to Message Id: 1732121

i ve kept fish and toads together.

how big is your tank tho?

a goldfish may out grow it.

05/11/08  05:08pm

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1732132

Goldfish are pretty messy fish. I would go with ghost shrimp, an apple snail, and chinese algae eater. I have 4 tanks all with an apple snail in it and they do a good job and can get pretty big plus they are no asexual so you do not have to worry about getting a million snails. Ghost shrimp eat almost anything on the bottom of the tank and they only cost about 30 cents (at my local pet store) and you can find females that are carrying eggs-the frog with most definitely eat them if they catch them.
Angel

05/12/08  10:10am

Coltsguy18
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1732790

It’s a 29 gallon.

05/12/08  08:24pm

Clawedfrogsrule
View Profile

Message To: Coltsguy18   In reference to Message Id: 1733383

yeah don’t do goldfish, the frog will attack them even if they’re too big to eat, I’ve tried it, didn’t work out at all. The frog would probably eat the ghost shrimp, or at least try to, especially since they’re both bottem feeders basically. The best bet is the snail, I’ve had them before, and after a while they did get eaten/die, but while they were there they did a great job keeping the tank clean.

05/17/08  10:32am

Shutterstud06
View Profile

Message To: Clawedfrogsrule   In reference to Message Id: 1738137

I know years ago I had a huge white African Clawed Frog and about a six-seven inch gold fish my sister had for years. OMG, if you care for your goldfish do not introduce them to the frog, gulp they are gone (unless your standing there and rip the fish out of the frogs mouth like my dad did) and oh yeah if your younger siblings love the gold fish. Even worse.

09/13/08  10:18am

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area