Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Alex961   Blue eyed cutie   BETHIEBOO   Matt Chandler   Germankid   Nikki sapitta lucky   JEFF QUARLES   Removed By System  
 Member  Message

Alex961
View Profile

How to force feed?

How do you force feed a frogs and toads?

04/13/08  06:42PM

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Alex961   In reference to Message Id: 1701915

How to force feed?

in my opinion FORCE feeding is rude to the toad or frog that has to endor it! anyway i would not FORCE feed. if you are having trouble then try using diff. food or something

Blue eyed cutie

P.S.
sorry i was not trying to come down on u!

04/14/08  09:22PM

BETHIEBOO
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1703553

How to force feed?

hay u sound cool do u have frogs

08/05/09  12:36PM

Matt Chandler
View Profile

Message To: BETHIEBOO   In reference to Message Id: 2051421

How to force feed?

I have force fed my cane toad to keep it alive, but as for frogs I think they are too fragile. My cane toad is alive and well today thanks to that unwanted treatment and so I am doing the smae to the other one. To force feed a toad at least, I wear a rubber glove on my left hand that I hold the animal with, then I place a toothpick that I dulled one or both sides off so there is no harm done. I take the tooth pick end and put it to the very front of the toad’s mouth and roll the pic while gently prying the mouth open and once I get the mouth open I take the toothpick and lay it across the toads mouth preventing it from closing, then quickly reach for the food that should be right within reach.... you need to do this quickly, because opening this frog or toads mouth hinders breathing, thus induces stress. Put the food into the mouth entirely and remove toothpick to allow closing of the mouth. Hold animal for a few seconds to prevent spittting up and then put them in enclosure, and do not move a muscle once you put them down since you want to appear invisible and watch their reaction to the food. Thats how I do it. Just did it tonight too......... cane toad vs pinkie mouse and he ate the half of the body that was sticking out from his mouth, so the treatment is working. The other cane toad is a fat and happy little guy and they live together, its just that wild cane toads are reluctant eaters and they need a buoy to keep them alive til tey make up their minds.

09/23/09  11:57PM

Germankid
View Profile

Message To: Matt Chandler   In reference to Message Id: 2075735

How to force feed?

Froce feeding is an absiluite last resort, but they know here Link

11/21/09  07:23PM

Nikki sapitta lucky
View Profile

How to force feed?

force feeding is when all else fails, but i do it when my toad(s) is/are sick and wont eat. pry the mouth open with a NON sharp & thin object. i use a second person to do this. then i stick the food in his/her mouth. Hope this was helpful! :)

12/10/09  12:10PM

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

How to force feed?

The best way is to hold the toad in one hand and use a flat heat screw driver and lightly pry it’s mouth open and slip the food in. I have to do this occasionally with my marine toads. I use Alpo wet food with the square meat pieces.

12/25/09  09:00AM

Removed By System
View Profile

Amphibians

Removed By System

05/24/10  02:30PM

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area