Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Jess24   Blue eyed cutie   Froggsong   Angelkitty   Greenfrog  
 Member  Message

Jess24
View Profile

Tree frog housing

I just recently purchased a clown tree frog and a red eyed tree frog same size and they were being kept together at the pet store can I keep them together or do they need to be seperated? THANX Jess

04/11/08  03:14am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Jess24   In reference to Message Id: 1698513

Tree frog housing

i dont think it is smart to keep 2 diff. in the same tank. you never know what could happen.

blue eyed cutie

04/11/08  02:16pm

Froggsong
View Profile

Message To: Jess24   In reference to Message Id: 1698513

Tree frog housing

If they were housed together at the pet store, it is probably ok. Keeping different amphibians together is different than keeping different reptiles together. If they need the same habitat and neither are toxic, it should be fine. Do some research on the humidity levels and habitat needs of each frog and if they match up, it should be fine to house them together. I even keep my firebelly with my frogs, and they have been fine for years. This is because my frogs don’t go in the toads water. They take moisture from being sprayed, and do not drink standing water. Now, firebellies ARE toxic, so you have to be careful housing them with other herps, but as long as your frogs aren’t toxic it should be fine. I have a banana tree frog in with my barking tree frogs, and the only thing that has ever happened is when I put a TINY frog in the tank and the banana tree frog ate him, mistaking him for food because he was so small. (Banana tree frog is big, about the size of the palm of my hand.) No offense to blue eyed cutie, but I don’t believe that the advice I have read from her is very good advice, though in this case she is taking a safe stance. However, the fact that they were housed together at the petstore should be an indication that they should be fine together in your home.

04/16/08  04:22am

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Froggsong   In reference to Message Id: 1705128

Tree frog housing

I really do not know about mixing the frogs however froggsong just because they were kept together at the pet store does not make it correct. I have been to many pet stores that have had animals mixed and it was wrong! I went to one pet store and they had fiddler crabs, firebelly newts, and firebelly toads mixed together-WRONG! I do not want to get into an argument with you about housing animals but I do want to state that like you said research should be done. As far as your frogs not going into the fbts water-how do you know, you can not possibly watch them every second of every day. I PERSONALLY would not do it but everyone is free to do what they feel is best for their pets.
Angel

04/17/08  10:25am

Greenfrog
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1706511

Tree frog housing

You REALLY need to ask that question on the treefrogs forum!

-Greenfrog

10/13/08  02:18pm

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area