Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Angelkitty   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Angelkitty   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Angelkitty   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Angelkitty   Animal lover!   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Animal lover!   Blue eyed cutie   Animal lover!   Animal lover!  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Animal lover!
View Profile

Getting 2 for fbts! help!

Well i was on usedpei and found a add saying that there was over 20 babie fbts, so i decided that i was going to get 2 ,
here is a copy and paste from the add

Quote:

I have about 20 Firebelly toadlets, just old enough to hop onto land, that I have breed. They are growing fast and will soon be able to be kept on both land and in water

So my toads in a 30 gallon about 1 third water and the rest land. The toadlets sound very small and well eatable for my other toads, so i suppose my questions are..
Is 4 toads in a 3o gallon to many?
Would my older toads pick on them?
Is there any specail food they would eat?
what health signs should i look for when i go to get them?
and i have a beta in with my fbts( don t worry he don t nip at them he s old and lazy) that seems to do well, would there be any harm done to my toadlets ( well yet to be toadlets) if they where set in with my beta?
thx animallover!

03/28/08  02:56pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1679352

sorry i mean 2 thirds water 1 third land

03/29/08  06:53am

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680251

Well I have a total pf 5 fbts-3 adults and 2 toadlets. I have my adults in a 50 gallon and the toadlets in a 5.5 gallon since they are the size of a thumb nail. I would not keep the toadlets with the adults because they would probably get eaten. I feed mine flightless fruit flies that I breed-my local pet store had them and they came with the breeding set up which is just a plastic container with climbing material inside and food. They are a big responsibility when they are that little-I was feeding mine every day as much flies as they could eat and now it is every other day as much as they can eat. I take they out of their tank, put them in a feeding container, and dump in about 20 flies and they go to town. I tried pin head crickets that were a couple of days old but they were too big but you can try day old crickets but they still might be a little big. I have found that the flightless fruit flies work the best. We you get them look for the active ones and just look them over to make sure they do not have any wounds, etc on them. I looked for the chubbiest ones and they have been doing great. As far as my set up, like I said I have them in a 5.5 gallon and when they get big enough (which will be way down the road) they will go in with the adults. I have a gravel slope with about 3 inches of land, a cave for them to hide in, a floating island that is attached to the bottom of the tank, and a water vine that they crawl on and hide in. Be careful with these guys-they can climb up glass walls. I did not believe it until I saw it. I will take some pics of my tank and post them for you. As far as the betta-I would honesty move him to his own tank. Fbts secrete toxins which could do harm to the betta plus the betta could nip at their toes. I would definitely keep the toadlets and the adults separate-you don’t want the toadlets to become dinner. Here are some pics I have of my toadlets-you can see the fruit fly container in the background of the 2nd pic and the container I use to feed them in on the right side of the 2nd pic:

I will post pics of my tank. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Angel

03/29/08  09:51am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1680324

wow! the man said that the toadlets are eating small crickets and mealworms and are on land, should that be good enough,

03/29/08  10:18am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680346

also tank space is totally limited, i mean i know for sure ( because of what the man said) that they re eating small crickets, but you see i was wondering i could always go tank my 4 platies set them in my toad tank along with my guppie babies, move my beta into a different tank and move my hermits into the 20 gallon and keep the toadlets in the 10 gallon, but please remember this is alot of moving around this is if nothing else will work.

03/29/08  10:25am

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680350

Hey if they are eating crickets that is great! Mine prefer the fruit flies I guess but mine will be eating crickets eventually too. That is a lot of moving around-sounds like me! I just did that. I have a paddletail newt that was in the 5.5 gallon and he got moved to a 10 gallon and the toadlets went into the 5.5 gallon plus I moved a bunch of fish around too as well as my betta who is now living large in a 10 gallon. And in 3 weeks I am moving so I have to break down my 4 tanks and my rabbit cage and move them-not fun! I would definitely figure out a way to have the betta, the adult fbts, and the toadlets in their own tanks. Once the toadlets get large enough then they could be moved into the adults tank. You could always put a divided wall up in the adult tank to keep the toadlets separate from the adults. I was going to try that when I moved and it might work out. You could get some plexiglass section off about 1/4 of the tank for the babies. I am not 100% sure how to get the plexiglass installed but someone would know in the cages forum. I was going to ask when it got closer to my move time. That way the toadlets could still be in the same tank but the threat of the adults eating them would not be there and then you would just have to move the betta and that’s it! I’ll see if I could look into the plexiglass installation and let you know.
Angel

03/29/08  10:40am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1680367

I think i ll move my platies into my toad tank and all and then toadlets into my fish tank, i got about 1 and a half dozen babie crickets and some larve so everythings a go i m going call soon about them, the man said thy re about a half a inch big... moving fishes start now, I’m planning on lefting sevral guppies in my toadlet tank seeing how small my guppies are! wow this is gonna make a big mess! :P

03/29/08  10:53am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1679352

ok your bigger and older fbt’s my find them as lunch. so you might want to keep them in a smaller tank (fish tank would do well for 2)(at least til they are older) 4 toads in a 30 tank is fine (it’s 5 gal. per toad) but the size of the smaller ones does not sound good. the small fbt’s will only need small crickets (baby crickets) thats about it i hope i helped!

blue eyed cutie

03/29/08  11:10am

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680389

That’s exciting! Post pics after you get them. I found out that the plexiglass can be installed with aquarium silicone-I might give it a try!
Angel

03/29/08  11:11am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1680419

i was talking to the guy and he says they eat cricket bigger then them selfs! he said something about they re stomach bing yellow??
i m empty the water from my 20 gallon now and ever thing will be ready foer when i get them to night!

03/29/08  11:34am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680444

well all and all everything is great, no toadllets yet but in like 7 or 8 more hours i ll have two more!
the 20 gallon is all set up perfevt!
i can t wait i d love to post pictures but i broke the camera! :P
my 30 gallon down stairs has a diveder and it works great! you have to make sure taht every thing is fish safe though, alos can anyone with me any info on that whole yellow belly thing.

03/29/08  12:02pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680472

well all i need now are the toads. The water part is 2 thirds of the tank, in the water part there are some babie guppies, a sunken car thingy with a brick ( taht they can go in to ) leaninh on it, the brick think proveded them with some land.
the land part is baout 2 inches long with a plant init.
all and all i think this could work.
i ll keep you all up dated .
by the way anglekitty and blue eyd cutie, i hate to pick favorite but of all the people on this site i like you guys the most
animallover

03/29/08  04:29pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1680787

lol we like you 2! (and of course the cute toads and animals) lol!

03/29/08  07:20pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1681097

just got the toadlets. they are smaller then a pennie. I set up a fruit flie trap as well as some fruit in there tank to bring fruit flies to them.
they are named juipter and pluto

03/29/08  07:56pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1681147

omg i love their names! i just got 2 fbt’s like a week ago and i named the eclipse (clipsey) and kara. i love them to death! i thought that i wouldn’t want any more pets after them, and omg i want more fbt! like i said i love them! and i am soooooooooooooooooo jealous of you right now!

blue eyed cutie

03/30/08  12:01am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1681599

there the size of the gravel. You know the pictures of anglekitty’s toads?? well mine are smaller then that!!
it s cerazy. hey does anyone know if it would be ok to feed them small cricket larve

03/30/08  07:21am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1681765

also, how long does it take for fruit flie to find fruit?
And i so can’t wait! I feeding them like soon!! I gonna try my smallest crickets and some lave of my cricktet..
The have a peice of apple in there cage to, that way fruit flies will come into there cage and they ll eat them.
Does any one no if walmart sells blood worm cubes??
and any tips.. that would be great, i scared they won t be raised good enough and will die.

03/30/08  07:32am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1681767

wether it be from stress or something dear pluto moved on
juipter loves to climb but just isn t seeming to want to eat anything. everything given to him is bitesize..

03/30/08  07:44am

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1681768

omg! juipter don t look so well !! what do i do!

03/30/08  10:31am

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1681847

how long has he not been eating?

blue eyed cutie

03/30/08  02:16pm

Angelkitty
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1682099

Hello. This is the first time I was able to get online since yesterday morning. I was happy to read about the new babies but sad to hear about the one passing on. I had one that passed on too after I had him a couple of days and I got a new one from the same clutch of babies. I bought a fruit fly container from the pet store that already and fruit flies in it. You can try to get day old crickets, get feeder tongs and dangle a cricket in front of the baby and see if he will take it. Call the local pet store and see if they have fruit flies. Keep us updated.
Angel

03/30/08  04:01pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1682244

The petstore is a big trip for me. But sevral fruit flie traps where set up. I’m keeping in contact with the breeder and he said that he’ll give me one to replace it. I told him hat I’ll wait tell they are older. I have a peice of fruit in the tank along with juipter so that should get some fruit fly for him to snack on. The man that I’m got them from is very helpful and told me to scare the toadlet into the water and set insome fishflakes.
How many times should a toadlet eat? How much?

03/30/08  04:58pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1682309

He tried eating a cricket but it was too big! ( and it was a small cricket too) so he han t ate sence i got him)
I going up stairs to trie fish food. I hope it works!

03/30/08  05:21pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1682339

did it work?! if that does not work try getting small blood warms! or call the guy back and ask him were he gets his crickets that are small enough.

blue eyed cutie

03/30/08  05:37pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1682355

He says petsulimited. He said to add in fish food to the water. I did but so fair nothing will seem to work! I m gonna check wal-mart soon to see about blood worms.
I’m scared he won t make it through the night!

03/30/08  05:39pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1682361

(sniff, sniff) SAD! poor lil guy!

blue eyed cutie

03/30/08  06:21pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1682436

Still alive and still healthy!

03/31/08  02:35pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1683573

YAY!

blue eyed cutie

03/31/08  03:41pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Blue eyed cutie   In reference to Message Id: 1683685

I went to the store looking for blood worms but there was none. So i got tubifex worm cubes. This will be his 3 rd night with me. He must be eating right. Imean he would be dead by now wouldn t he?

03/31/08  04:49pm

Animal lover!
View Profile

Message To: Animal lover!   In reference to Message Id: 1683842

juipter is in a better place now.

once my fruit flie traps bring in some fruit flies i l get more replacments. any caring tips

04/01/08  04:09pm
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area