Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

SOAD102988   Hydori-   Wart   PiinKsTarZz   Ento890   Big_fat_paulie   Cappy8   Sky line  
 Member  Message

SOAD102988
View Profile

Too Much Handling Makes Sick??

I keep on hearing that if you handle a frog too much, the oils on your skin will make it sick or even be fatal. I want a frog because they are soooo cute, but wouldn’t like the thought of not being able to hold him! Plus, I hear that they are expert escape artists....

10/16/04  07:47pm

Hydori-
View Profile

Message To: SOAD102988   In reference to Message Id: 163377

Whenever I handle my frog I use my hands, but I presume that prolonged handlings bare handed can harm your frog, some frogs like the White’s tree frog do well for handling because of their calm, personality.

01/07/05  04:29pm

Wart
View Profile

Message To: Hydori-   In reference to Message Id: 215538

i have too american toads and 1 green treefrog. if i want to hold the toads for long periods of time, then i use a towel or really wet my hands, just so the toads dont get hurt by the oils. however, if im just holdin em for 5 or 10 min, then i just use my hands. i just make sure to keep my hands clean. ooo their so cute!!! o, and for the escaping part, just keep the lid/screen on tight, and make sure theres no holes. they can squeeze throught hte tiniest things!!

01/12/05  07:04pm

PiinKsTarZz
View Profile

Message To: Wart   In reference to Message Id: 220170

If you handle frogs frequently and for long amounts of time it can be fatal... the oils in our hands are toxic to them.. they absorb everything thru their skin. osmosis.

01/14/05  08:30pm

Ento890
View Profile

Thats very true. frogs should be handeled barely ever. It causes stress and can make them sick. Our skin contains oils that harms tehir skin. The dont like handeling at all. In fact the only frogs that does "enjoy" handeling is the whites treefrogs

01/17/05  11:20pm

Big_fat_paulie
View Profile

Only handle your your frog if you have to ie. cleaning your cage. They aren’t the cute and fuzzy come-pet-every ten minutes sort of animals. You should consider getting sanother animal if you want to hols it alot

02/15/09  01:33pm

Cappy8
View Profile

Message To: Big_fat_paulie   In reference to Message Id: 1953125

Yes that is what i heard and it does make sense,
they said if you ARE going to hold them, make sure you’re hands are wet, like mist it with clean, non tap water.

Also, WTF ARE insanely great escape artists.
You have no idea how many time’s Duke has escaped for the 1.5 years I’ve had him.
haha, I think he’s escaped like 3-4 times in a 2 month period.
I worried just as bad the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, wondering If I’ll ever find him before it was too late.
but luckily, i always did manage to find him.. staying up til 2am... to wait for him to wake up and wonder about..lol

OH he stopped escaping when I moved him into an Exoterra tank.
He was in a temporary tank, but i had weights on top of the screen, but he always seemed to be able to move the 5lb weights... :O
haha crazy.

Lisa

02/22/09  11:05pm

Sky line
View Profile

i use UN powdered nitral gloves it helps with the oil but not the stress

01/21/11  08:20pm

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area