Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Amphibians Forum

Phiro   Blue eyed cutie   Angelkitty   Robin L   Shorty21   MereBear   Sky line  
 Member  Message

Phiro
View Profile

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

My WTF is the most interesting small animal Iíve ever had. I have crested geckos as my main small animals to breed. And I got the frog on the side because she was so cute I HAD to buy her. Now after having her for over a year she has gotten to the point where I hand feed her. She is now too lazy to hunt the cricket. I shouldnít have even started doing that. As soon as it gets dark. She comes out of her driftwood home and climbs up and sits there and follows me with her eyes and head. She waits for my hand to feed her. Sometimes when I come up to her cage she jumps towards me only to smash herself on the glass with her mouth open and tongue out...kinda reminds me of those animals or creatures you hang up with suction cups on your car window. If I stick my hand in there to get the water bowl she will attack one of my fingers and starts trying to swallow my finger. Lately sheís been so berzerk about getting a cricket she keeps rushing way before I actually get my hand in her aquarium and Iím so afraid sheís going to hurt herself. So now Iíve been holding her in my hand to safely feed her....but this little girl is so tame and calm she will actually chomp on a cricket in my hand. So crazy! Iím trying to find on the web if this is normal behavior but havenít found anything yet. Anybody else have a frog like this?

08/09/07  01:58pm

Blue eyed cutie
View Profile

Message To: Phiro   In reference to Message Id: 1395860

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

nope!!! just u

08/12/07  06:13pm

Angelkitty
View Profile

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

I have 3 fire belly toads like that. They will chase crickets but prefer I hand feed them which is fine with me. My 1 fbt (Scuba Steve) will actually try to bite the tweezers I use to feed them with.
Angel

09/22/07  01:00pm

Robin L
View Profile

Message To: Angelkitty   In reference to Message Id: 1452784

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

I also have a large fire belly that will take food from my hand, he has even taken a dead cricket that I was pulling from the water. I had a Tanzanian that would also eat from my hand but he died.

10/29/07  08:55pm

Shorty21
View Profile

Message To: Robin L   In reference to Message Id: 1495157

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

There is a Pixi Frog at my work that the last time I cleaned out his habitat he tried to eat my finger. So I sterted feeding the pixies pinkies once a week. Same day I feed the snakes. Not sure that would work for you dumpy though. The dumpys at work like to hide under the plants till the crickets go by then sneek attack. I will also give them worms once a week. They dont always want them though. I would say that as long as shes healthy theres not to much of a problem.

11/01/07  12:43am

MereBear
View Profile

Message To: Shorty21   In reference to Message Id: 1497351

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

I tend not to hand feed the frogs, I place the crickets in the cage and they catch it themselves, it sorta like the natural thing for them and they feel like hunters hahaha

12/01/07  01:31pm

Sky line
View Profile

Odd Dumpy Behavior?

thunk!

01/21/11  08:37pm

Back to Amphibians Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area