Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crsaz   EEKSTER   Crsaz   EEKSTER   Crsaz   Crsaz   EEKSTER   Crsaz   Denial9945   Crsaz   King of sSNAKESs   BLUTEGU   NW   Chris78   NW   Acken   Crsaz   KatiiB   Jwhite85   PJ FF   Personmebe   Personmebe   MrLahey   420MMA   Bassplaya007   Takahiro111   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Crsaz
View Profile

Gator cage

I was thinking of getting a gator a while back but have put it of because I did not have the money because I have been busy expanding my snake colletion including a $300 retic cage. but now I will have money space and time for the gators I want. I have some ideas on an enclosure for a male/female pair. I not finished desing it yet but the main part of the cage will be 18X30 with a 7000+ gal pond and another area 35x6 desined as a dog run for the house never finished or used. for the fence I want to use 6 foot chain link fence to kepp the nieghbors cat out and by dog she could jump a 6 foot fence but probably wouldnt but she would if it was only like 4 feet. what do you think and what would you use for the pond. also I dont know where I would put them in the winter I live in AZ but they would still need to come in for the winter.
I was thinkin the garage we have an extra 1 car garage only used for bikes and our hockey gea. I was thinking of setting up kiddie pools for them.

06/16/06  06:32pm

EEKSTER
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 836244

Gator cage

Your an idiot. What more can I say you can’t spell even with a spell check and have no idea what a paragraph is and you want a gator OK good luck.

The retics gonna tear your world apart when it gets 18- 20 ft a 300.00 dollar cage buys a 3ftX3ftX3ft that doesn’t work for a retic get real you must be a kid

Do your research and then ask an intellegent question

06/17/06  12:33am

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: EEKSTER   In reference to Message Id: 836661

Gator cage

I built the cage a$$ hole

06/17/06  01:37am

EEKSTER
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 836697

Gator cage

Thats nice good job. Now all you have to do is lay on the floor to get ahold of one of the largest snakes in the world. OK maybe I was wrong about you.

Ill help are you planning on getting baby gators to start or are you going straight for the big dogs.

The chain link fence. Gators like to dig so put the fence at least 2ft in the ground or well see your gator on the news walking downtown.After it ate the neighbors cat.

Assuming your getting babies. You wont need that much room or a huge pond for a long time. If I was you I would build a cage inside for the time being.

If you do build an outside cage make sure its not in direct sunlight all day. or youll come home to roast gator tail for dinner basically make sure you gator can cool of as well as bask.

The pond should only be deep enough for your gator to submerse there body but not much deeper than that same with length. You will need to do water changes often.Gators always go in the water and it is foul with out cleaning you will have lots of harmful bacteria. This is why you dont want a huge pond your water bill would be insane or youll run your well dry.

Please do your research it is for the best

06/17/06  09:22am

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: EEKSTER   In reference to Message Id: 836903

Gator cage

for the fence I would put concrete liner you know the kind that is like a curb that is put around grass.

I was planning to get a pair of baby gators.

I would keep them inside until around 3-4 ft

06/17/06  08:25pm

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 837568

Gator cage

the aera the cage will be built was going to be a 18x35 basement for be and my snakes.

06/17/06  08:28pm

EEKSTER
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 837569

Gator cage

That sounds cool. Just make sure its secure and make sure you really wont these gators. They live an arverage of 50yrs in captivity.

Alot of people buy gators and have no clue then when the gators four foot if it lives that long they release it or kill it. That is why I get a little tight.

Just do the research and youll be ok. dont go buy one thenput a post up asking what it eats I seen a post like that recently

06/18/06  07:17pm

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: EEKSTER   In reference to Message Id: 838681

Gator cage

to day i went to a reptile shop and the had baby salt water crocodiles only 2 of them about 3 feet long 2500 each I would love to get one but I dont have the money to build the cage then pay 2500 then food just the cage will probably run me $5000 probably more

06/19/06  12:21am

Denial9945
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 839068

Gator cage

salties would run you so much money in the long run. I saw a 15 year old buy a nile croc last year at a show here and I seriosuly yelled at the guy that sold it to him I got kicked out of the show but that really pissed me off.

06/20/06  10:41am

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: Denial9945   In reference to Message Id: 841120

Gator cage

I know they would cost a ton. I got to feed them a pinkie and some minnows. I know the oner very well he has 12 foot king cobra. 12 feet is just a guess it lives in a 10 foot long display and streches abot 2 feet longer than that. I got to feed it a small rabbit a few months ago. he doesnt sell hots because all hots except for native rattler a illigal.

06/20/06  03:16pm

King of sSNAKESs
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 841505

Gator cage

Denial: you are da man, i dont care if you got in trouble for it, or got kicked out of the show, but if that fool is selling niles to 15 year olds, he is a real fool, im only 14, but do know that crocs arent for kids, I badly want one, but plan to wait a while. the boame falls on two people, the kid and the deeler.... oh ya, and the parents, for either being neglectful enough to not notice their child buy a croc, or being stupid enough to let him have it.

12/03/06  12:20am

BLUTEGU
View Profile

Message To: King of sSNAKESs   In reference to Message Id: 1081087

Gator cage

I know
Im only 14 to and I known enough a but them to say they get huge and I would never buy one now
I agree
selling a 15 year old kida nile croc is in the same stupidity level as stick ur d__k in a automatic pencil sharpener or going up to a cop and kicking him the n__s

Bump
(I blanked some letters cuz of the small kids and I know theyll find it out)

12/07/06  12:52am

NW
View Profile

Message To: BLUTEGU   In reference to Message Id: 1085904

Gator cage

In defense for the kid buying the croc;
Im 16 and i have a foot long baby gator and i take care of him extremely well. Perhaps the kid buying the croc new his stuff and had every right to buy it, perhaps not.

All i know is that i take extremely good care of my baby gator and Im just a "punk kid".
Hes in a 220 gallon preformed pond with all the proper decor; filtration, plants, rock, etc.

I also have building plans for the summer (i live in WI) that will be a 350 gallon filtered preformed pond with about 14sq ft of land area around it. My fence is going to be made of wood and only about 4 feet high for the time being. I am also dropping a foot of concrete down so the digging issue wont be there.
I no he wont need if for a few years but Im going to keep my turtles in it for now and i want to have it done before i head off to college.

I no i am just a kid but i know my stuff and Ive paid for every penny of my enclosures. My parents just sign the papers and give me the permission.

Hey if you build your pond a little smaller you could always build a homemade filter for it and put it in the ground so it wont be in the way. You will still be emptying and refilling alot but not as often as you would without a filter at all.

What do you guys think of my building plans?

01/25/07  08:06pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: NW   In reference to Message Id: 1147765

Gator cage

So are you going to a college near home?

01/26/07  12:07am

NW
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1148092

Gator cage

Yes but i wont be able to come home all the time. If i get into the school i want i will be living with my cousins anyway and will be able to take him with me.

If that doesnt work out however my parents have agreed to take care of my animals until i can take them. I didnt push it on them if thats what your thinking! My parents are biology teachers who love animals so they dont mind in the least. They are the ones who started my collection when i was just a year old. They love my animals as much as i do. I also have a younger brother who , by the time i go to college, will be ready to take the reins and take care of them also.

My collection currently consists of:
1American Alligator
1Water Monitor
1Ball Python
1Leopard Gecko
15Aquatic Turtles
2Box Turtles

01/26/07  06:14pm

Acken
View Profile

Message To: NW   In reference to Message Id: 1148858

Gator cage

Craz, Crocidilians and King Cobras are Illegal in AZ, so you cant buy one, and neither can a petshop owner.

01/27/07  09:32pm

Crsaz
View Profile

Message To: Acken   In reference to Message Id: 1150273

Gator cage

you can own them with a permit oh and I found out the salties where not full blooded salties they were a cross but I dont rember what I think saltie x siamese or somthing like that

04/02/07  06:36pm

KatiiB
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 1231409

Gator cage

Arent siamese crocs extremely rare?
- Kate

04/11/07  11:02pm

Jwhite85
View Profile

Message To: KatiiB   In reference to Message Id: 1242825

Gator cage

NW where in wisconsin are you?

04/13/07  07:47pm

PJ FF
View Profile

Message To: Jwhite85   In reference to Message Id: 1245221

Gator cage

THIS GUY IS A TROLL. He came to the venomous part talking about how he was going to keep a copperhead here in the state of AZ. IT IS ILLEGAL! He then went on to explain his neighbor was a cop that smoked weed so that made it okay for him to break the law.
Now he is saying he is going to keep a croc?!?!?!?! Once again, they are ILLEGAL. They will end up at Phoenix Herp. Society and then we will be stuck with another idiots croc. We have enough there to feed now but more idiots like you keep bring them into the state for us to take. Now as for the pet store that has them, your wrong. NO* pet store here is dumb enough to carry them at the store.
So when I typed up the same thing except about venomous snakes, he ran off. We might want to keep a look out for him to make sure he doesnt get into the kamodo (SP dont care) section!

04/17/07  01:25am

Personmebe
View Profile

Message To: NW   In reference to Message Id: 1147765

Gator Cage

I completely agree. I really think it mainly depends on the maturity of the individual. Some have no issues with the animals at a relatively young age while others should not be trusted, but the same thing goes for adults. I am 16 as well, and I don’t mean to be rude, but I am sure I know more than half the people at the Hamburg shows about a broad variety of things herp related, not that I necessarily have the experience of some. I keep retics, burms, American Alligators, and two species caimans. Not that I would ever keep Niles or Salt Water Crocs because I do not have the proper resources to maintain them. Most of the people I buy from know me, and do not hesitate to sell to me. A lot of the animals I work with require two people to handle, so my father helps me with many of them, and we follow correct procedures and such. For me there are very few physical issues beyond those that adults would have. It’s all depends on your mental maturity, job/income, and willingness to do research; your age is not really relevant because it all depends on the individual.

06/03/11  09:00pm

Personmebe
View Profile

Message To: Personmebe   In reference to Message Id: 2222505

Gator Cage

I know this is an old subject but I really felt it necessary to speak my mind.

06/03/11  09:05pm

MrLahey
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 841505

Gator cage

Either your buddy is lying to you about it being a king cobra or your lying about feeding it. King cobras will only eat other snakes, or things that resemble other snakes. For example you can trick one in captivity into eating certain things such as a turkey neck but you need to drip a little snake blood on it with an eye dropper so it will think its a snake. However you are absolutely not tricking a cobra into thinking that a rabbit is a snake no matter what you marinade it in.

04/04/13  06:09pm

420MMA
View Profile

Message To: Crsaz   In reference to Message Id: 837568

Gator cage

what pet shop was that?

07/21/13  03:39am

Bassplaya007
View Profile

Message To: EEKSTER   In reference to Message Id: 836661

Gator cage

Really shouldn’t call someone an idiot if you don’t know when to use you’re instead of your. Just a thought.

09/07/14  07:40pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Denial9945   In reference to Message Id: 841120

Gator cage

I know this is really old but crocs is only for more expirenced people with years of herp knowledge behind them...matter of fact they’re too dangerous to own even your little caiman can strip the skin off your hands so imagine what a gator can do....I’m not going to lie I’ve been thinking of owning a gharail but let’s be honest that’s not happening lol. But there strong and if you don’t build a good cage they’ll knock it down and end up killing someone if not hurting them just think about the consequences if you slip up a little the outcome could be devestating.

I’m not being mean but if you want something large and cool looking go with a monitor their atleast a little safer than gators and I’m not talking about nile,perentis,croc monitors..their crazy.

09/07/14  08:52pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2309550

Gator cage

Sorry I lefted this out but...there’s no such thing as taming or training a gator they see u as food the more u feed them and in 2-5 years it’ll be too much to handle because think about a gator that can reach 17’ or more weighing over 500lbs and have 80 or more sharp teeth..what vet is gonna wanna look at this animal,nobody would take it off your hands when the killing instinct kicks in, its illegal to release it in the wild,police will be after u if its illegal to keep them where u live and last how will you transport such a dangerous animalto a vet???? A healthy gator would grow a inche every 4 months and hope u have a good filter system because they are messy eaters and in the wild they’ll let their food rot under water...oh yea and (I’m praying for u) if u ever get caught in a death roll try to roll with the gator to prevent losing a arm...I read about it.

09/07/14  10:37pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area