Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lucky-1343   Lucky-1343   The Lone Glider  

Member  Message

Lucky-1343
View Profile

17" American Alligator stopped eating?

My alligator stopped eating after leaving for 3 days? I have him in a 55 gallon tank with 4"-5" of water. Two sub-heaters, day and night light(on timers), running filter system, basking area, large rocks for "hiding area’s". I clean his tank every 7-12 days depending on how dirty it gets. I hold him everyday and he loves being scratched behind his ears and neck. Even now when he doesn’t eat. I started feeding him chicken liver for the high protein. Switched it between feeder fish, liver, chicken, sometimes pork. I’m not sure why he has stopped eating. I currently have live mice in his tank with him. And its almost like he seems lonely, has befriended these mice. Or just uninterested. I live in Riley county Kansas. Legal to own American Alligators to 5’. I’ve always cared for turtles and lizards of many species so I’m aware of the responsibility and care it takes to make sure their happy and healthy. I’ve done several nights worth of research to make sure his living area was adequate. I leave my home to a warm 75*F when I’m not home just for extra warmth. Jr. does hiss still when approaching his tank to feed or take him out but I’m sure that’s normal. Hasn’t bit me !yet! but with understanding it will happen I’m overly careful when handling him. If anyone could help with this issue I’m be much obliged. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

12/15/12  08:57pm

Lucky-1343
View Profile

Message To: Lucky-1343   In reference to Message Id: 2287685

Well, for those of you that read my message asking for advise and didn’t leave anything all is well now, found a supplier that had crayfish and newts. George went crazy with the crayfish then slowly headed for the newts. Will continue with a larger variety of feeders. Maybe suckers and fresh water shrimp next. Dunno really how far I can go with this. He has to draw the line some where don’t you think?

12/27/12  11:52pm

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Lucky-1343   In reference to Message Id: 2288370

I think so.:) Sound good. Feed Chicken too they LOVE that. If you don’t already..

01/09/13  01:12pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area