Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Padeerslayer   Tbone21   Padeerslayer   Padeerslayer   Riggs   Padeerslayer   Philosopher  

Member  Message

Padeerslayer
View Profile

Calling all experienced American Alligator handlers

Let me explain my story before you criticize and ridicule me. I am a newbie to alligator handling, however I am prepared for the long haul with my new buddy. I have spent many years learning about them and now finally own one . To make a long story short I was he was given to me do to his owners sudden death, by his family. He is approx. 2 years old and he is 3’3" long, he is in what seems to be very good health, he is not aggressive,he loves to lay on us and just chill, I do tape him per instructions from the owners wife, she said he gets aggressive if he is not.
The first question I have is he will not eat and all the temps are perfect, I understand they are a little sluggish eating in the winter months however he was eating prior to bringing into my home. I’m not sure if he is just getting used to his new surroundings or what the deal is. Please help me out on this ?
The next question is he needs his nails trimmed , unfortunately I do not believe the were ever trimmed before. How short should they be trimmed ?
The next is about his enclosure. They have kept him in custom 86 gal. enclosure. Its time for a new one but I must build it quickly, is a temporary enclosure 5’ x 4’ OK for him until I prepare and construct a much larger enclosure 8’x8’ in the spring time . I want him to stay happy and healthy.
At last when we scratch his back he seems to love it, he becomes very calm and limp as if he is saying "Ill give you forever to stop that" and he chirps as I have read that juveniles do .What does that chirping mean?

01/11/12  12:16am

Tbone21
View Profile

Message To: Padeerslayer   In reference to Message Id: 2250554

No offense but you should give him to someone who knows what they are doing with him. You should not be taping his mouth constantly. You should not be handeling him constantly either. Crocodilians build up lactic acid in their muscles when they are stressed. An 86 gallon tank is small for him but if your building should just build a large enclosure. 8x8 would be good for probably another 2 years if fed properly. He is not eating from being stressed between new place small enclosure and being handled all the time especially with mouth taped. If you want something to lay on your lap and scratch it’s back get a cat or a dog. These are solitary animals and tolerate us and do not look for interaction. You want to try to get him eating leave in cage do not handle do not touch for a week then try feeding. You should also never trim his nails.

01/11/12  12:08pm

Padeerslayer
View Profile

Message To: Tbone21   In reference to Message Id: 2250592

With all do respect to you I understand, however I have the utt most respect for this animal, I have knowledge of them , and I want to be a successful alligator owner!!! If I did not think that I could not handle this task I would have declined the offer to own him. I am simply asking for some pointers. How am I suppose to gain more knowledge of him if I don’t ask questions ? I suppose I could be some fool who just thinks its cool to own a gator and something to brag about, but I’m no fool so don’t take me as one. How did you gain your knowledge ? I’m sure you weren’t born with it , I bet you handled them and read about them and asked questions ! I ask these questions to better my ability to take the best possible care of him that I can !! Do you have anything to share on the questions I have asked ?

01/11/12  01:53pm

Padeerslayer
View Profile

Message To: Padeerslayer   In reference to Message Id: 2250604

He ate today, 6 Pinkies, 1 Goldfish, and 1 small Chicken Liver. Also as far has holding him , we haven’t changed anything. I was informed by professional handlers the more you interact the more docile he will be and its proving true . Also I am no longer taping his mouth and he is still cool as a cucumber! I would still like to know however , what it means when they chirp ?

01/15/12  12:25am

Riggs
View Profile

Message To: Padeerslayer   In reference to Message Id: 2251074

when they cherp they are cherping for there mother to protect them.I allso had one 3 foot give to me he was so calm for a month never had to tape him.he eats about a lbs of chicken gizzards and liver a day hes now upto 8 lbs and just a warning when i put a new filter in his cage he got verry mad and has been tring to eat me for a week now while he is in the cage.when i get him out (daily) for atleast 1 hour hes more mello.this is the 3rd gator i have had if ya have any more questions pm me.allso i had probs feeding him for a week as well till he got use to the new change. good luck with him/her

01/15/12  01:07pm

Padeerslayer
View Profile

Message To: Riggs   In reference to Message Id: 2251136

Thanks for all your help ! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

01/15/12  08:41pm

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: Padeerslayer   In reference to Message Id: 2251193

You seem to be a responsible owner keep asking questions despite what folks say. they are not in your shoes and never will be don’t get turned off on learning more about your animal. some folks are very well versed in gators but have no empathy for us newbies. so keep on going and learning.
good luck and I think your gator was stressed from the move and new surroundings. If you want to learn about gators I bet the old Steve Irwin shows are probably on the net. they were my bible when I younger. anyhow again good luck and be well

10/15/15  06:57pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area