Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Snapper1   Nile/water monitors   Swampshoe  
 Member  Message

Snapper1
View Profile

Baby american alligator

I have a baby american alligator i bought him not to long ago. i have a week with hin, but he does not seem interested in eating anything yet, he swims around goes to his basking spot, everything seems fine, the water temp are always between 80-84 F. the basking temp is 94F, i have the lighting in a schedule, and he was 5 times his size in swimming area, and twice his size in basking area. what would u recommend.

09/11/11  10:43am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Snapper1   In reference to Message Id: 2236494

Baby american alligator

Bump up the basking temp. to 110-120f(what type of basking light are you using?), don’t handle him at all right now. Put his enclosure in a low to no traffic area so he can feel safe. Water temp.s sound good. What was his diet before you got him v.s what you feed him now?

09/12/11  09:36am

Swampshoe
View Profile

Message To: Snapper1   In reference to Message Id: 2236494

Baby american alligator

He could of ingested something that he’s not able to pass.Is there anything missing?Pieces of fake plants,heater suction cups,etc. Do you have any type of gravel/pebble substrate he could ingest and become lodged in his intestines?I almost lost a baby from a pebble.It also could be parasites. Do you feed live prey or frozen? Live prey could carry parasites. This happened to my gator and was fixed with deworming meds from the vet. Hope this helps.

10/16/11  12:48am

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area