Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

GreenMamba   GreenMamba   GreenMamba   Nile/water monitors   GreenMamba   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

GreenMamba
View Profile

New Gator Hatchling and have some ???’s

Hello to everyone. I recently purchased an american alligator hatchling and have had him about 2 weeks now. It has been one of the coolest experiences of my life and I truly enjoy just watching him...I do have a few questions....

1. I have him in a 20 gallon aquarium tank with about 4-5 inches of water (heated to 86-88 degrees) a heat lamp and a basking area as well...I also have an electronic filter going...is this a good habitat for a baby gator?

2. I have been feeding him goldfish and he has been devouring them like there is no tomorrow. How many smaller goldfish should this gator hatchling be eating daily? Are goldfish good enough for his nutrition as this young age?

3. His tank has gotten a little dirty in just a few weeks and I am wondering what is the best way to clean it...because the tank is only 20 gallons should I simply remove him and dump the old water? I have been adding additives to the water for his skin and ammonia removal...Is there a good way to skim the really small stuff that gets the water dirty? Is there a good water vaccum that someone could rec’d, so then I would not need to remove the water at each cleaning?

4. As steve irwin would say, he is VERY CRANKY all the time. He hisses and bites at anything that gets in his way BUT I know it’s important to handle him often to get him used to human interaction...what do you guys rec’d? I know I will never trust him and he will never trust me but what should I be doing now to make things easier when he is older?

5. How long will it take him to outgrow his current tank? What should I be planning for in the near future with him? How big will he get in the next few years?

Thanks, and I look forward in hearing everyones responses...

07/01/11  10:11pm

GreenMamba
View Profile

Message To: GreenMamba   In reference to Message Id: 2227357

And of course here is a picture of good ol oscar...

07/01/11  10:24pm

GreenMamba
View Profile

Message To: GreenMamba   In reference to Message Id: 2227360

Ok gang...I discovered from reading various posts on this site that goldfish are not very good for him...

I suppose the crickets dipped in the reptile powder is good for now?

I’m about to go to the dupage country reptile swap now...anybody live near-by?

07/02/11  08:55am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: GreenMamba   In reference to Message Id: 2227390

GreenMamba
Your right, gold fish are not the best feeders to offer. At this age your Gator should be feed roaches, super warms, pinkies, smelts, shrimp,etc.Feed whole prey food items, this means hide,bone,origins,exoskeletons,the whole animal/insect. Meat cuts don’t offer the full benefit of whole prey, meat cuts don’t have bone (Calcium) organs etc. for a complete healthy diet. If your husbandry is correct your Gator should grow at least 1 ft. a year. Have you planed for a much larger enclosure?

07/03/11  02:55pm

GreenMamba
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2227462

I am in the process of planning a much larger enclosure at the moment...

I am strongly considering doing this ASAP as I feel like the 20 gallons is not enough for him even though I read it is and the breeder told me so as well.

Would a 55-70 gallon tank give me a few years of service?

What is a good filter to keep his tank clean...it seems to get smelly after just 1-2 days...should I be netting as much crap as I can daily...doesn’t seem like the filter I have in there now is up to the job of getting everything out...

any/all suggestions would be great...

Thanks

07/03/11  10:02pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: GreenMamba   In reference to Message Id: 2227495

Well, some breeders will say anything to make a sale. Some will even tell you the gator won’t out grow the tank, way wrong. The 70 gallon "might" get you two years? In the past I found that the biggest external fish filter with some clear rubber hose hooked up to a fountain pump worked very good, and have used small swimming pool filters too. Spot cleaning everyday isn’t a bad idea.

07/04/11  08:44am

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area