Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Waterpetlovr   Nile/water monitors   Waterpetlovr   Nile/water monitors   Waterpetlovr   JEFF QUARLES  
 Member  Message

Waterpetlovr
View Profile

New pet

Well I pretty much adopted a pet that I am told is a dwarf alligator. he is bout 8-10 inchs. Not sure how old. Someone I went to buy some saltwater coral from had him and wanted to know if I wanted him. He said if not he was just letting him go in the wild. well it is still in the 50’s here and he would not make it so I saved him. To find out we cant have them here in my state. But I am gonna keep him. I love animals have had many different pets from snakes to birds. And a friend that had a caman croc so learning some from him when i can get ahold of him lol. So right now I got him in a 30 g tank. half water half land with some plants in the water. Im using a old 110 g tank I have that Im makin into his new home. Just got to convert it a lil bit. Now I have a uv lamp for him been feeding him feeder gold fish,crickets , and dried bugs. What I am wanting to know is do I need to use reptile calcium? what are some other things I can feed him or should. other hints to help me with this lil guy. I have read alot on them but still think forums are the best place to get info.Thanx for the help I will post a pic also of him.

05/09/11  01:15am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Waterpetlovr   In reference to Message Id: 2218121

New pet

Congrats on the rescue! Can’t believe he was just going to release the little guy, stunts like that are the reason why our law makers want to outlaw reptiles. OK, first, diet, stop the gold fish and dried bugs, gold fish and bait store fish carry lots of parasites and dry bugs have no moisture value and low on vits/minerals. You should be feeding whole prey food items (this means skin,bone,organs,shell,exoskeleton,head to tail) , you can give him live insects like the large roaches from the pet store, as well as pinky mice, (these roaches cant climb glass so they can’t get out) and you can buy F/T (frozen/thawed) food items in most grocery stores,shrimp,smelts,muscles,scallop,fish,snail,etc..Now the reptile calcium, as long as your feeding him a whole prey healthy diet you really don’t need the cal., but if you want to add it to his diet probably two time a month is ok. Other things to remember is the basking spot should be 110-125 degrees ( use a in-out door flood light with the flood light bulb of 65 watts - 95watts to get proper basking temp. NEVER USE THE SPOT LIGHT BULBS, they will burn you pet) Ambient temp.s between 85-95 degrees and have a cool end of 75-85 degrees. You should get yourself a temp. gun, it allows you to get surface temp. readings , like basking area/water temp... Also remember handling is stressful on these animals and they can go off feeding due to stress, you may want to get a pair of feeding tongs to aid in feeding and interaction with the little guy. feel free to as questions or even pm me with questions.

05/09/11  08:51am

Waterpetlovr
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2218142

New pet

thank you so much for the help. I will easily be able to feed him these things since I feed my fish these things already. I have been using tongs since I learn that animals love to bite the hand that feeds them lol. I found sometimes even wearing gloves work but for now tongs work great and a feed schedule. Will get a heat gun so I make sure he is good to go on that.
How often or about how much should they be fed?

05/09/11  05:18pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Waterpetlovr   In reference to Message Id: 2218200

New pet

I would feed or at least offer him food every day, if he is willing a couple modest feedings a day wouldn’t hurt. Make sure you get the laser temp. gun and not a heat gun. With the laser temp. gun you just point the Lazar beam and get instant readings. I got mine at harbor freight for like $40-$60.

05/09/11  09:33pm

Waterpetlovr
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2218242

New pet

k cool we have harbor frieght out not to far so will get one from there.

thanx again

05/09/11  11:08pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Waterpetlovr   In reference to Message Id: 2218121

New pet

He’s a regular Gator, not dwarf but really cool. Stack some nice rocks on one side of the tank, fill it 2/3 rds full and put a submersible water heater in it. Keep it around 88 fht and he will do great. They love gold fish at that age..

05/19/11  05:18pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area