Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Skidemon95   Nile/water monitors   Cchoquette   Skidemon95   Gator.retic  
 Member  Message

Skidemon95
View Profile

Just Got A Gator Have Some ???

ok, so im new to this. i did some research but not as much as i should have. i have him in a 10g at home with a platform, a 75w basking spot bulb. i went to the local pet store and was looking at the kits they sell. the zilla 20g long kits. they had a nice gecko kit for $100. im thinking that is too small. can anyone tell me what they think of those? i know hes gonna out grow that really fast. if i went with a bigger tank, like a 50g. what do i need to get? can anyone piece me something together that would be good?
thanks,
tom

02/07/11  11:44am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Skidemon95   In reference to Message Id: 2203603

Here is some helpful reading for you.

http://crocodilian.com/crocfaq/faq-6.html

02/07/11  05:09pm

Cchoquette
View Profile

Message To: Skidemon95   In reference to Message Id: 2203603

He is definitely going to need something a lot bigger. That’s probably even to small for a hatchling. I would start him out in a 40gallon breeder or a 55gallon long tank at least. I would recommend the 40 even though its a little shorter its wider so could last a little longer. However depending on what species he will probably out grow it pretty fast. Most of my gators only spend about a year in a 55 or 40 if I’m lucky. Your going to probably need to build a custom enclosure unless you go with like a 175 or 200 gallon tank which might last 2 years or so. Ultimately though building a custom enclosure will be pricey overhead but in the long run it will last a lot longer if built large enough. Keeping them in tanks to small is bad for their health and could even kill them. I would recommend getting something fairly large and making it about 2/3 water and about 1/3 land. If its a hatchling keep the water relatively shallow (about an inch or 2 is enough) especially if you put live fish in there for him to eat. It will be alot easier for him to catch as a hatchling. When he gets older and more acclimated to living in an enclosure you can have deeper water so he can submerge himself better. also with larger tanks you will need larger basking and uvb/uva bulbs and water heaters. I recently got a new dwarf caiman hatchling and he is about 7in long and I have him in a spare 55gallon long tank I had left over. I had to check the bulb settings because I didnt put the basking area very high so I needed lights that would work up to 14inches away. If you tell the local pet stores the heat level you need and the distance away it will be they can generally tell you which bulb you need. Anyways good luck with him and hope it all goes well.

02/11/11  07:47pm

Skidemon95
View Profile

Message To: Cchoquette   In reference to Message Id: 2204418

Well I went to my local reptile store and he came up with this. He said he should be good for a couple years. There is no basking light, on a uvb, and a heating pad. What do you guys think of this?

02/13/11  02:32am

Gator.retic
View Profile

Message To: Skidemon95   In reference to Message Id: 2204633

That’s a good set up just be sure an keep the water clean I recommend feeding pinkie mice over crickets it will help with dirty water an a temp of 78to80 in the water will keep him in a comfortable range also a basking area about 86to90 during the day an around 78to80 at night. I run two filters an change my water every week also some wet moss on the land will be good they like to burrow into it an rest at optimal feeding an health an alligator will grow one to one an a half feet per year for the first 7yrs so you can use that to calculate how much room you’ll need an how soon I also recommend handling twice a day for a few mins all this will help teach some trust an less aggression towards you with time cause the last thing you want is a 4ft gator with a bad attitude but always rember their alligators an never become calm an can always lash out an bite at a moments notice so always be careful an good much enjoy these amasing animals!

04/02/11  02:27pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area