Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Venom6547   Emmajam   Ballpythonclan   Emmajam   Ballpythonclan   Emmajam   Gator.retic   Philosopher   Philosopher   Philosopher  

Member  Message

Venom6547
View Profile

To all dangerous reptile owners

so lately ive been noticing that there are too many ignorant people when it comes to reptiles because whenever i mention to people about having a baby alligator they get all bent out of shape saying why would you have such a dangerous animal theyre so mean and all that bs but in reality my gator has never even opened his mouth other than eating and hissing here and there but ive also noticed this with big snakes about people sayign they are man eaters and killers and how we should not have any that really drives me nuts because first off people dont give the animal a chance to show how docile it is and second they never had any interaction with these types of animals except thru a tv screen. i was checkign my email the other day and noticed a story on aol about a man seeing an alligator feeding frenzy in georgia and how it was so dangerous and blah blah the reporters were talking about these animals calling them killing machines when really the animal needs to eat and thats how it eats. just my opinion but i think humans are the killing machines, we kill anything that we feel uncomfortable around except the select few who know that if you respect the animal then it will 99% of the time respect you. i feel like i jumped around but if anyone can see where im coming from id be glad to hear your opinion

07/30/10  11:44pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2166078

Hey, so while this is my first post on this site and I don’t want to come off as some new snotty little kid with something to prove, I really wanted to put my two cents in here.. I’m not the owner of a "dangerous reptile", nor any reptile at this moment, I’m definitely a herp enthusiast to say the least and the one thing I’ll see time and again is the extreme of "oh x reptiles are dangerous, how could you love something like that, it could eat you" being countered with the extreme of "no way these animals are lovable and tame and calm and would never eat me" ... well.. ok, the never eat me part is pretty realistic for most of these reptiles, but "never cause serious harm" is not realistic. You still need to have the respect that these are still wild animals we’re caring for, yes even the adorable little bearded dragons and leopard geckos, that you can’t train like you would a dog. Cats and dogs have had thousands of years of domestication. Reptiles are barely on the domestication radar, only within the last couple hundred years, I think. Owning an alligator with that kind of attitude is incredibly dangerous and even highly renowned experts who own their own gators will tell you the same thing. You can love it to death, but you need the respect that yes this animal is still a dangerous animal that could easily harm you, especially upon maturity. Even the young adults could pack a serious bite. Do you plan to keep this alligator through maturity or what? Knowing how big they can get, do you have enough space for them? and more so, security to ensure your safety and your community’s safety? Also, with that kind of animal, you’re almost going into what’s better for the animal’s well being.. keeping it locked in a cage, or would it have been better to just let it live in the wild to thrive in its natural habitat? If you end up having to get rid of it, you’re going to be looking into rescues and shelters, not just releasing it back into the wild.

I apologize for the length of this reply, but I’m a very big advocate of don’t bite off more than you can chew. I wish you luck with your alligator and hope you are someone who knows what they’re doing with these beautiful creatures.

08/03/10  02:36am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2166804

I’m sorry i guess i should have been more thorough with my rant because yes you are right about saying the animal is tame and will never eat because no one knows that for a fact because they are still wild animals i guess i just carried away with my post but yes i love my little gator but i also have boundaries and precautions i take with him to keep us both safe and yes i am going to be keeping my gator through adult hood i am going to be turning my shed into his home and creating a outdoor area for the warm weather because he would not be able to survive in new englands winters but for the other seasons he will have his own pond big enough for him to any size. now as i think back i should have included more into my post to show that i am a responsible owner of these types of animals and sorry for the misunderstanding.

08/03/10  03:14pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2166912

For sure... have you owned gators previously? Do you have a license for them? I know in my state you need one but I think it varies.

08/03/10  05:05pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2166952

this is my first gator and i no i dont need a permit where i live i checked all my laws before i considered one i also did all my research and still look up things just to be up to date. gators are legal without a license in my state but illegal and all the states around me are legal to keep anacondas and retics but we arent. its odd.

08/03/10  08:39pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2166982

Personally, I think a license should be mandatory nation-wide for gators, burmese, retics, anacondas and the like... the Burmese more for their own protection than the owner’s. It’s so depressing seeing them released into the wild after the owners realize how big they get. I guess it’s a little cruel, but my concerns are always more for the animals than the people. I will say though.. the coolest thing in the world was "holding" a reticulated python. It was really more like, having one wrapped around me. When the owner lifted it off of me, my head felt like it was floating.

08/04/10  12:21am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167014

yeah i agree with you on that because there are irresponsible owners out there going out and buying these snakes when they are newborns not even thinking about what they will do when its 10 times bigger in 2 years...the only large constrictor i held was an 8ft albino Burmese python and i wasn’t even expecting to hold it i just asked the handler how heavy it was and he just plopped it on my shoulders and boy that was so cool because i could feel the muscle power it had just holding onto me. and i dont see how thinking people should get permits and what not before getting an animal like this is cruel its the responsible thing to do

08/04/10  10:55am

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167054

it more has to do with when owners and handlers get bit I’m not concerned with. My thoughts are, you were probably handling it wrong and deserved to get bit. Yeah, the retic was 105 lbs, ALSO not expecting it.. I was at an event and a bunch of kids were going up and getting pictures with it holding just its head, so when I started talking with the owner and finally asked to get a picture with him.. and he plopped her on me. she was 18 ft long and she just clung to me. SO beautiful

08/04/10  08:04pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167163

jesus thats a large snake and yeah 99% of the time the owner is bit it is from being mishandled and the other percent is just the animal doing something unprovoked. was the reticulated python a normal or morph because i rarely see normals anymore i see mostly tigers and super tigers

08/04/10  08:35pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167171

She was a normal. Personally, I think normals are more beautiful anyway.. It was an incredibly powerful experience. To feel her muscles working as she moved around me.. I mean, we all feel that with the smaller snakes, but it was just SO powerful. I always forget how much I love snakes until I hang out with one for a while again.. I usually consider myself more of a lizard girl.

08/04/10  10:59pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167209

yeah i agree with the normals i think their patterns are beautiful and how well it helps them camouflage, its been years since i held a large snake and i was thinking about getting a newborn albino Burmese python so i can have one of these amazing animals as one of my own but of course theres the planning and feeding and all that beside i decide to get one. what types of lizards do you prefer?

08/05/10  12:26am

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167223

I love iguanas.. I live in a studio apartment right now, but eventually when I get a bigger place where I could give it kind of its own room (i have a cat, she’s not nice) I’d like to have it free roaming. Bearded dragons... Monitors are beautiful but I don’t think I’d want to own one anytime soon.. I think I’d do a tegu. I like bigger lizards. My favorite are iguanas though, hands down.. I used to volunteer as a "reptile handler" for a museum and they had a green iguana that I just fell in love with.. I’d take her out and she’d just lay on my shoulder and I’d hold her like a baby. She had a hard time with all the people though, she can only handle so much public attention and she’d start to get jumpy and try climbing on my head so I couldn’t have her out long and eventually we stopped showing her.

08/05/10  08:42am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167259

That’s a good idea considering how big they get I’ve never seen an iguana longer than 2 feet and that’s at a pet shop in the next town over they let it roam the store and sometimes I’ll be looking at a snake or something and not even realize the iguana is on top of the tank until it moves and that usually gives me a heart attack because he is just so still, I personally like tegus a lot but I have never handled one and I’ve been told they are a lot more docile than monitors. I love all reptiles I wish i could get one of everything so hopefully one day I’ll have my own reptile rescue or something like that. That’s cute how you held the iguana like a baby if I saw a picture of that I’d probably take a pic or something. I would love to get a job with reptiles therefore I could take care of all the animals I like and at the same time teach people about them

08/05/10  12:48pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167283

oh no.. iguanas can get bigger.. my girl was 4 ft head to tail. 10 lbs.

08/05/10  11:19pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167434

Wow. I always hear about big lizards and snakes but I can never see one in person it sounds extremely cool and especially since iguanas usually are docile and whatnot, hopefully one day soon i can see a giant reptile

08/06/10  10:38pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167636

She was so sweet.. she had a hard time with the constant attention from kids but when it was just me and her it was magic. I taught her one trick.. I stuck my tongue out and she stuck hers out. hahahahaha... Honestly, if I didn’t have my cat I would have taken her when they had to move her. Although.. they did a terrible job at potty training her.. she was 12 when I started working with her so that would have been difficult to deal with.

08/07/10  01:16am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167662

Hahaha that’s cute if only I could teach my alligator some tricks.. I didn’t even know that you could potty train an iguana, does it use a litter box like tegus and other animals? I hear ya about not being able to get animals because of other pets but eventually in time we all get the chance, so don’t give up!

08/07/10  10:10am

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2167693

yeah they can be trained to use a litter box.

08/07/10  02:38pm

Ballpythonclan
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167726

Just throwing in my two cents

Quote:

Cats and dogs have had thousands of years of domestication. Reptiles are barely on the domestication radar, only within the last couple hundred years

Kinda incorrect well atleast to me since reptiles have been kept as pets with people for thousands of years. egyptians,mayans,romans you name it all kept repitles in some form. Its just reptiles have no work logic to them. Cats to me are like and some big lizards same level of domistication since cats and certain big lizards can like you but will stay distant at times. Unlike other TRUE domisticated animals such as cows,dogs,horses and others which we domisticated because they couldve helped us with work labor and such. My point is reptiles are domisticated in a way as companion animals similiar to cats but not like dogs and such.

08/07/10  05:41pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Ballpythonclan   In reference to Message Id: 2167750

That’s so interesting, I’d love to read the source of this fact to get more information considering among my herp peers and research I’ve done on reptiles, it says otherwise. that reptiles have only recently been domesticated, meaning tamed, which cats most definitely are, and while some species of reptiles are a lot more docile than others, they’re for the most part... still NOT tame. Could you please provide the source(s)? I’m sure there are many if this is correct, but I just can’t seem to find any.

08/08/10  12:35am

Ballpythonclan
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167808

Well whats your defination of tame? I know in general alot of large lizards are wouldnt be considered tame such as monitors but i have met HEALTHY,ALERT monitors that were quite docile, and did know that people meant treats and would run up to people for a mouse or rat. Some people would say this is dangerous but this was a CAPTIVE animal. I know after posting this some people will say that the monitor was sick but i can assure you it was a perfectly healthy animal and was just very old and used to being around people. Like i said whats your definition of tame. I know i met more TAME iguanas then cats. But that might be me or just that cats hate me.

08/08/10  12:46pm

Emmajam
View Profile

Message To: Ballpythonclan   In reference to Message Id: 2167878

Again... there’s a difference between docile and domesticated. Iguanas are incredibly docile lizards. If you read through my other posts on this thread, I have no qualms that big reptiles can be incredibly docile... Burms are also really gentle, their main problem is they get too big for most people to handle.

Docile doesn’t equal domesticated. If you’re judging this only on your experience with cats and reptiles I would suggest more actual research. Yes there are going to be mean cats and nice lizards... some cats are going to bite you til you bleed and some snakes are never going to even show their teeth. At the end of the day, the amount of effort to get a cat used to you versus even a bearded dragon is light years.. you have to work to hand tame any reptile you own. there is time and patience involved. A cat does not have to be worked at because it’s been worked into them after thousands of years... I’m sure people have kept reptiles for just as long, but they weren’t domesticated. They weren’t bred and kept to be companions like they are now. Relate it to that of a zoo. Sure there are plenty of WILD animals in zoos that have been tamed by their caretakers after hard work to do so...Really the only time you see a messed up cat or dog it’s after abuse or trauma. Personally, I found my cat on my sidewalk at my old house in a pretty rough neighborhood, but there was no taming with her. she came into my house and was home.. Because that’s what domestic cats are wired for. That’s why there’s a lot of controversy when people breed dogs with wolves or dingos and cats with lynxes. They’re half wild. There’s that wild instinct where they could turn on you.

08/08/10  03:15pm

Gator.retic
View Profile

Message To: Emmajam   In reference to Message Id: 2167911

I’ve raised an kept alligators an retics for well over 20yrs now and never been attacked they are highly intelligent animals an can an do learn from their owners an as far as permits this only causes a black market an puts the animals at even more risk of neglect when owned by someone who doesn’t have say the larger 2or3acers required to get such permits but has an alligator who will be neglected medical care and many other things needed cause owning the animal is illegal or requires an unrealistic permit system this doesn’t help but rather create a far bigger problem much the same as laws banking larger pythons which leave an owner little choice but release or jail for owning an animal which is far less dangerous than the common dog! And yes the Egyptians worshiped sobek the crocodile god most temples had crocs living in them an they became rather calm an friendly in nature for years of being cared for so the experts are not correct these animals have had just as much if not more time with humans than what we call domesticated animals!

04/02/11  03:02pm

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: Gator.retic   In reference to Message Id: 2212649

reptiles are wonderfully responsive creatures who do what is in their nature to do
you know what I saw a people feeding frenzy at Mc. Donald’s the other day it was more violent then those misunderstood gators. I do however agree with you on your sentiments when it comes to reptiles. I own snakes not big snakes but kings and corns and not a single one bites but the reason isn’t obvious like hunger, fear or plain old neglect with regular handling. Besides the fact that the media is out and out sensationalism at the cost of the truth. I also think that the folks who create theses photo ops or just run into them don’t understand what this frenzy on camera might do to the reputations of the gators like jaws did for great whites.

10/15/15  06:37pm

Philosopher
View Profile

reptiles are wonderfully responsive creatures who do what is in their nature to do
you know what I saw a people feeding frenzy at Mc. Donald’s the other day it was more violent then those misunderstood gators. I do however agree with you on your sentiments when it comes to reptiles. I own snakes not big snakes but kings and corns and not a single one bites but the reason isn’t obvious like hunger, fear or plain old neglect with regular handling. Besides the fact that the media is out and out sensationalism at the cost of the truth. I also think that the folks who create theses photo ops or just run into them don’t understand what this frenzy on camera might do to the reputations of the gators like jaws did for great whites.

10/15/15  06:37pm

Philosopher
View Profile

I agree with everything you just said about the pitfalls of owning large reptiles and unrealistic permit processes really do worsen the types of owners who want a big reptile just because they are not supposed to have

10/15/15  06:47pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area