Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Venom6547   Nile/water monitors   Venom6547   Nile/water monitors   Venom6547   Nile/water monitors   Venom6547  
 Member  Message

Venom6547
View Profile

Wondering if theres anything that can liven up my gators tank

so i have a baby American alligator about 16 inches long if you call that a baby anymore but i was wondering if there was anything i could put in his tank that he wouldn’t eat to help liven it up. I’ve been debating getting plants for him because i know he would possibly destroy them or getting a turtle, my alligator is pretty docile for the most part except when i first pick him up but once he realizes im just going to hold him he stops squirming and i usually sit next to his tank and leave my arm in the water and hes never once snapped at me. I’ve also kept a frog in there with him a couple days to see how he would do and they both left each other alone just the one thing he goes after are mice. so any advice or information would be great, thank you

07/22/10  03:31pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2164399

I wouldn’t put anything in with your gator unless its intended to be food. In the wild, animals are free to roam away from each other, in a enclosure they are together 24/7, the gator floats on the surface, turtles come up to feed and gator toes/tail are fair game for the turtle. Fish/snakes/lizards/frogs will end up as food. You may find that putting in a room mate may stress your gator, may even effect appetite/health. Question, are you looking to make your gator more active? Or want to liven up the enclosure?

07/22/10  07:13pm

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2164442

just to liven up his enclosure, he seems pretty active he swims around and sits in the corner for a while sometimes. i actually bought some of the green plant not algae i know what that stuff does to them just like a moss type thing that floats on top of the water and he likes to go hide in it and yeah ive been debating whether or not to add a roommate because of the stress level i dont want him uncomfortable

07/22/10  07:20pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2164443

I use to keep Caimans, I know what your saying about "liven up his enclosure", they do tend to sit in waiting for hours don’t they. You could try some creative interacting with him, like target feeding with long feeding tongs. See if he will fallow the food, maybe come straight up out of the water after food? I remember one day watching a program on crocs and the sound of baby crocs calling out while hatching, my caiman went nuts looking for the hatchlings. I learned how to make the hatchling call with my mouth and hands, just to get him to react I would make the sound and get him looking. After he was around 3yrs. old he would lift his head and tail up out of the water and vibrate the water with his ribs, I believe its called bellowing, looking for a female. It was really cool.

07/23/10  07:14am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2164517

yeah he does just sit in the water pretty much all day everyday some days ill see him sneak up on his rock but mostly sits in the water. Ive got to try the baby alligator call to see what happens and yeah Ive seen some big alligators bellowing once because they heard the engine of a dump truck and thought it was another gator was pretty cool but thanks for your insight, one more quick question is it alright that i feed him only mice or should i add more of a variety to the diet because i know the mouse has everything he needs just i don’t know if I’m missing anything even though Ive done tons of research on them.

07/23/10  09:13am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2164538

Yes, there is tons of things you can feed him, Start with gut loaded roaches, grasshoppers, super worms, large crickets, etc. baby gators eat lots of insects while young. You could also feed whole f/t smelts/shrimp/crawdads/muscles/chicks/etc. Nice thing about the f/t food items is you can stock up in the freezer.

07/23/10  09:51am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2164556

alright thank you for your help its helped me out well and ill look into getting frozen food for him

07/23/10  10:57am

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area