Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Akimbell   Nile/water monitors   Akimbell   Nile/water monitors   Akimbell   Nile/water monitors   Tbone21   Nile/water monitors   Pocochu   Pocochu   Pocochu   Nile/water monitors   Pocochu  
 Member  Message

Akimbell
View Profile

Sick alligator has growths or spots

We have a sick alligator that is about 2 years old. He won’t eat and has these spots or growths on him. His back feet are swollen. It almost looks like chunks of meat. About 2 months ago we added turtles to his tank. I don’t know what to do, and wondered if the turtles could have tried to eat him or caused somehthing to happen. What can we do? Help!

07/10/10  04:25pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Akimbell   In reference to Message Id: 2161664

Could you post some pictures of the poor gator? What type of turtles did you add?

07/10/10  09:10pm

Akimbell
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2161718

I will try to post some. One was an alligator turtle, and one was a small snapping turtle. They had been in there for a while, so I wasn’t sure why the sudden change in the gator. We took them out as soon as we saw this. It looks like some brownish growths, kinda float when he’s in the water. It’s on his back feet and a few spots on his tail, arms, and one on his back. Just wondering what we could do for him. I’ll get some pics on here soon. Thanks!

07/10/10  09:27pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Akimbell   In reference to Message Id: 2161719

Sure sounds like bite wounds, Those two species of turtle will make a meal out of a young gator, even a painted/red eared slider turtle will take toes off young gators. Best to keep the gator in his own enclosure. I know they live together in the wild, but the animals can get away from each other, but are forced together in the enclosure. Pictures will be good to see if there is infection, keep the water clean and make sure he has a "basking area" of 120 to 135 degrees, he will still need an ambient temp. of 80-90 degrees. This will allow him to cleanse the wounds and dry them out as well. I use the frosted flood lights to heat my basking areas. 45 watts - 75 watts, ((((never use the spot lights for basking areas))), it will burn your gator. How stressed is your gator? Is he still eating OK?

07/10/10  10:05pm

Akimbell
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2161725

http://www.repticzone.net/images/75169/gator1.jpg
http://www.repticzone.net/images/75169/gator2.jpg
My husband seems to think it’s some kind of bacteria or growths on him. I’m just not sure. We’ve had him for about a year, and this has never happened. Is there something I should put on him. It looks like something growing out of his skin. Almost like meat hanging out, but I doesn’t come off. Someone mentioned diluting some bleach and adding to his water, but I didn’t think that was a good idea. Thanks for the help!

07/11/10  01:25pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Akimbell   In reference to Message Id: 2161819

Yes, they look to me like infected bite wounds and tissue damage. As long as the water is clean and clear, I agree with you, don’t bleach the water. Treating the infection will be the best bet. I’m not 100% sure if hydrogen peroxide is safe enough to clean the wounds with, so I’m going to ask another member to be sure and also see what would work best as a antiseptic/antibiotic cream? Do you know of a good herp vet in your area? Just in case he might need a antibiotic shot?

07/11/10  03:20pm

Tbone21
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2161840

My caiman had a bacteria infection. My reptile guy had me make a soaking container filled with the turtle sulfa dip. Worked like a charm. little bit of money bc depending on his size bc it takes like a whole bottle per dip and i did it for a week.

07/11/10  04:02pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Tbone21   In reference to Message Id: 2161846

Ok, I’m told to use Maracyn (probably not spelled right?) in the water, this stuff is safe enough for fish and you can get this at the pet store. If you don’t see a positive change in 5-6 days he should see a vet. I was also told the turtle sulfa dip was good too,but, don’t know what effect it will have on raw muscle tissue?.

07/12/10  06:04pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Tbone21   In reference to Message Id: 2161846

I guess I posted on the wrong forum..LOL..I posted on the Alligator Lizards Forum..Sorry

Sound like the turtles are stressing him out and biting his toes/feet....His feet sound like they are infected...You need to treat his feet with some iodine solution...10:1 just make it tea colored...( 10 parts iodine to 1 part water)....and clean his wounds with it use a Q-tip and dabble it on...He might need some Antibiotics if the infection is too bad....So you might have to call your vet....

Oh and one more thing he needs to be in a clean viv with no substrate until his wounds are healed....and clean fresh water daily....

Annie...>^..^<

07/12/10  06:07pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Pocochu   In reference to Message Id: 2162128

Oh Don’t use hydrogen peroxide..Hydrogen Peroxide kills the bad stuff but it also kills the good tissue that is try to reproduce (grow)

07/12/10  06:15pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Pocochu   In reference to Message Id: 2162131

You know Chris I wouldn’t use the Maracyn.....The Maracyn is for fish...I’d hate to have the Alli drink the water and get sicker...Fish have a total different digestive tract and outer skin layer then an Alli....

The Turtle Sulfa Dip....That would be questionable????......Sulfa is so harsh it may not aid in healing tissue but make it worse....To be on the safe side I’d just use the iodine and have a clean viv and fresh water daily until the wounds are healed..reptiles heal fast I’d say about week.....

Annie...>^..^<

07/12/10  06:47pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Pocochu   In reference to Message Id: 2162131

Annie,
Thanks for jumping over here to help out. Your awesome!

07/12/10  06:56pm

Pocochu
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2162144

Your Welcome anytime...........

Annie....>^..^<

07/13/10  05:21am

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area