Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Gigity   Gigity   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

Gigity
View Profile

Caimen looks to have worms

This might sound a bit off but I have a 5 foot caimen and when I clean her water the last few times after adding new water I saw that there were worms in the tank. I thought maybe they were in the hose outside so today when I changed the water I let the hose run for a long time and then added the water were I saw no worms. Now 5 hours after I go and look and wow there is like at least 50 1/2 inch worms in the water. Its kind of freaking me out so I thought maybe someone here would know something. She is about 10 years old and in very good health she eats every time for ever. Mostly rats and crawfish and just a little gold fish maybe 4 times a year, everything I feed is live. Any help would be great thanks.

05/21/10  09:23pm

Gigity
View Profile

Message To: Gigity   In reference to Message Id: 2149557

I searched the net all night and the only thing I can find that looks the same is blood worm, but its looks dead on. my worms are almost dark red and the bodys look identical I also read that they destroy the stomach of hoarses when they eat them off the ground but it says they are a larva of a mosquito type fly how would so many be in my pool? maybe living in the filters? again any help is appreciated

05/22/10  01:04am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Gigity   In reference to Message Id: 2149623

You should take some of the warms to the vets, your caimen will need to be treated. Its pretty important to keep the infected animals basking/ambient temp.s up, it will help him/her to cope with the parasites until you can get treatment. This is why I always feed my animals 30 day f/t foods, it helps to kill the parasites that live food carry. Best of luck.

05/22/10  06:27pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area