Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Reptiman1   Pe   Nile/water monitors   Venom6547   Christoff   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

Reptiman1
View Profile

Alligators

Is it true that if you put a alligator in a small tank it wont out grow the tank. i heard this from someone else but wanted to make sure. please dont flame me

05/11/10  10:38pm

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Reptiman1   In reference to Message Id: 2146866

Alligators

I’m not an alligator expert but I have worked with small gators in rescues down here in Florida. I do not believe that statement is true. I believe your alligator will outgrow it’s enclosures as do other reptiles. I believe these statement come from housing fish in smaller aquariums, that they only grow to the size of the aquarium.

PE

05/12/10  01:26am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 2146884

Alligators

PE is right, you can’t stunt a gators growth. You would have as much luck stunning a gators growth as putting a baby elephant in the back yard shed and thinking it will stay small:) Its funny that old myth is still being repeated.

05/12/10  07:44am

Venom6547
View Profile

Message To: Reptiman1   In reference to Message Id: 2146866

Alligators

an alligator will out grow its aquarium fish tank whatever thing it is just a myth that if you put it in a small tank it will stay small. what will happen is the gator will get sick and be in a lot of pain because it has no room to do anything so please do not believe that putting a 1ft alligator in a 75gal tank will keep it that big because i started off with a 75gal tank and my gator was 11inches when i got him a month ago now he is close to 17inches and that’s with feeding him small mice every other day

07/22/10  03:10pm

Christoff
View Profile

Message To: Venom6547   In reference to Message Id: 2164396

Alligators

I have had my baby gator for two years now and all he has. Only grown 2 in. But my friend has his sybling and he is over two ft long. They were in the same size tanks until recent. So a professional opinion. Would be great

04/16/11  05:33am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Christoff   In reference to Message Id: 2214663

Alligators

If diet and temp.s are spot on, your gator should grow about 1ft. a year.

Quote:

They were in the same size tanks until recent. So a professional opinion. Would be great

Sounds like one animals was dominate over the other when it came to feeding time. What is the feeding schedule like? and what are you feeding him? what are the temp.s, water/ambient/basking? Enclosure size and pond size?

04/16/11  07:00pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area