Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Queenjoplin   Nile/water monitors  
 Member  Message

Queenjoplin
View Profile

Need Help With A Sick Baby American Alligator

I work for a pet store and we have a very sick baby american alligator that I brought home to try to nurse back to good health. He has not been eating, lost a lot of weight and is very week. It seams like a challenge for him to even hold his head up. I have tried blending fish and krill to make it easier to slide down his throat, but it is not working. I can not get him to eat anything. Does anyone have any sugestions?

05/06/10  07:19pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Queenjoplin   In reference to Message Id: 2145813

Need Help With A Sick Baby American Alligator

Hi,
Do you know what his basking/ambient/and low end temp.s are? If this little guys temp.s are too low he wont eat. Try giving him a basking area of 95-120 and see if that helps? Try offering some live gut loaded roaches, super worms, insects instead of fish products for now. If you have to force feed him, its easiest to put a short tube (I.D size of a dime) in his mouth and put a rubber band around his mouth to hold the tube in place and then just slide the food through the tube and down the back of the throat. If he has internal parasites he will need higher temp.s to keep him going and will need to have a poop sample looked at by the vet. Please keep me up dated on this little guy.

05/06/10  08:52pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area