Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Rat_snake_man   Nile/water monitors   Rat_snake_man   Baylor13  
 Member  Message

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

BUILDING GIANT GATOR POND NEED HELP INFO

ok i plan on buildin g a giant pond in my back yard litterally holding around 1-4 million gallons i need to know what the recommended depth should be shallow deep middle i live in florida so my gator that im gonna get wil be able to live outside year round any recomendations are welcomed thxx!!!!!!!!!!!

04/18/10  09:30pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2141612

A friend of mine raises yellow perch and digs his own ponds, he said the ponds have to be at least 6ft. deep or deeper to keep a healthy pond. Less than 6ft. the water will be not much more than a mosquito nursery. 6ft. and deeper keeps the water at the ground temp.s and not up and down with the air ambient temp.s, on a cold or hot day your gator can adjust his body temp.s by laying on the bottom. He also has a air-ration system bubbling up in the middle of each pond to help stop the green slim build up in the water. This is what we have to do to keep a healthy pond in our neck of the woods anyway. We are in N/W Pennsylvania.

Hey, a basking island in the middle of your pond sound cool?

04/19/10  08:39am

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2141696

thanks man and the baskin pond does sound cool i plan on putting two or three fountains in to circulate the water i am gonna dig the pond make the deepest part in the middle then put a island there somehow i gotta work out the plans some more bt anymore additional info would be great

thx
matt lyons

04/20/10  06:33pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2142100

i meant basking island but whatever ill post pics of the whole project its gonna be amazing

04/20/10  06:36pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2142103

Cool, love to watch your progress, post lots of pic.’s. As I come up with ideas, I’ll through them your way.

04/20/10  08:21pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2142130

ok thx im still waitin on my dozer fuel my father has a bulldozer and the land is all trees so i gotta doze down all the trees for the room of the pond i wqilltake a pic of the woods then as the whole process from there on out i have about a month til the initial digging of the pond so any ideas take ur time

thanks
matt lyons

04/21/10  04:24pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2142398

got fuel starting to doze down trees on thursday or friday

04/26/10  07:36pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2143614

Great! Are you starting out with a hatchling? Before you release this guy to the pond, I would get him use to hearing one kind of sound, like a cow bell, tapping wood sticks together, banging on the bottom of a pan, something he will get use to hearing just before you feed him. The idea would be to get him to come for food when he hears this one type of sound, and you can visually check his growth/health this way. I use to raise caimans and they would respond to different sounds, I could make a hatchling call and they would instantly respond to that sound. You know, it might not be a bad idea to build a cement pad about 4-6 ft. away from the waters edge, lay his food on it then ring the diner bell. I raise large monitors and just so they don’t think its time to eat every time they see me, I feed them and let them eat while no one is around, I wouldn’t want a gator confusing seeing people with meal time. It would probably be a good responsible owner/keeper idea to "make him cautious of people", a large predator like an alligator, better safe than sorry. Just to protect you, the neighbors,and your gator, are you going to fence in and post the pond? Sounds like you are going to put a lot of thought into your gator project, I’m sure your going to be one of the better/cautious/responsible owner/keepers. Please keep me updated on your progress:)

Chris......N/W-M.................

04/27/10  08:44am

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2143686

yes i plan on putting a 6 ft high chain link fence in and posting no tresspassing and danger gator signs around the area

04/28/10  01:34pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2144004

Do you know how big your gator will have to grow before you release him to your pond? I would be concerned with predator birds, raccoons, snakes, opossums, cats? I’m not 100% sure but I would think a gator 2 1/2 ft. and over should be able to fend for himself against most predators? I’m just assuming your starting with a hatchling?

04/28/10  03:23pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2144038

yes i am starting with a hatchling and i plan on keeping him in a little kiddie pool area i made inside my screened in pool area until he is two to two and a half feet in length then i will put him into his pond im still debating wether to just stock the pond and let him feed naturally or if i should feed him i think i am gonna cuz its bonding time with the animal and he gets used to u down side if i go on vacation for awhile i wonbt trust anyone to feeed him for dangers of mygator and the person plz post your opinions they will be highly apriecieated

thx
matt lyons

04/28/10  06:51pm

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2144092

I would stock the pond and let him feed naturally when he can, but, I would still feed him chicken parts/rats a couple times a week, you don’t know how fast the stocked fish in the pond will deplete or able to avoid your gator? Matt, I wouldn’t say " bonding time" more like "routine" with a animal like this. If I can give you any good advice, PLEASE NEVER NEVER TRUST AN EXOTIC ANIMAL EVER, no matter how well things go between you and your exotic, never trust him. By the time your gator gets to be around four foot, He should be just about hands off handling. I will get my animals to trust me to lower their stress levels, but I’ll never trust them. I have a Nile monitor that likes to climb up my arm to my shoulder two- three times a day, she trust me and this is every uncommon for a Nile, but, I know someday she will get spooked by something, a sound, a smell, a movement, something unexpected to me, and her wild instincts will kick in and she will tag me. Just expect the same thing from any and all exotic pets even some domestics. I don’t think any gators bond in the wild, but I do know you can establish a routine with them and even to some point train them to target feed from a pole etc, things like that. I’v raised 3 spectacled caiman’s to 5-6 ft., If I was to raise a American alligator that could get 10-14 ft. or more, I think in this case I would make the gator cautious of people, even me, just as a safety measure.

04/28/10  10:45pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2144138

ok and theres this resteraunt down here that u can feed gators with i am gonna use thereidea theres is a pole with a rope and like a gaint bobby pin on it the things for girls hair and u push the meat on it then dangle it above and they will jump fo rthe fod and stuff i will feed him in the way like that when he reaches around 6 to 7 feet i will hand feed like drop it near him or something until then and ya ik i hacve a snapper and i hacve to stock his 400 gallon pond twice a month its a pain bt i think that it is also a good idea to stock so the gator has as much of the nature aruond as possible thats my goal to make it look like the wild bt with me around thats all and maybe my parents noone else will be permited into there unless they are with me and i do hope he reaches 14 feet if i take care of him he can live as long as a humann

04/29/10  02:39pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2144239

it rained todfay :( gonna start dozing down trees tomm

04/30/10  07:58pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2144525

starting dozingdown the trees in half hour just wanted to say ill post pics tonit or tomm

05/01/10  12:16pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2144631

just finished dozing for the day hace done about 3/4 the work posting pictures sunday evening for people who care to look any last minute ideas
ps i hate how in fl u can getr in trouboe for feedin fgators and chatchin them cyz me and my freind just got into trouble with the sherrif for catching a alligator he was in abad dirty mucky bottle infested pond he was only three feed and had leaches on his back and looked like he was starving unfortanetly didnt have time to take him away before we got cought :( ohh well

05/05/10  06:58pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2145597

posting some pics TONITE YAYYY LOL and i bought a 60 gallor pond for my baby turtle idk y i said it bt i excided lol i am gonna buy a 160 gallon pond for my gator when there hatchlings til about two feet still debatin wether get a boy and girl or just one i wanna breed htough so ill prolly go with both lol ill post pics around six or seven

matt lyons

05/09/10  10:46am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2146247

Hows your pond coming along?

05/12/10  05:47pm

Rat_snake_man
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2147012

as of right now its doing good i am gonna post pics once i start the innitioal digging i am hauling out trees rightn ow and cutting them into firewood

05/13/10  02:36pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Rat_snake_man   In reference to Message Id: 2141612

I thought you were posting pics?

07/15/10  10:04pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area