Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Gatorboy   LAZYGUY123   Gatorboy   Russell55   Simbaah777   Gator.retic   Philosopher  

Member  Message

Gatorboy
View Profile

Taming a gator

hey guys can any body help me with this one. i just got and an 3ft 5 year old am alligator, the guy i got him form said he lets him free roam his room some times. but when ever i go in his tank he runs, and when i pick him up he fights and truns like hes going to bite. so at 1st i just left him a lone so he could get use to his new home and seeing me so now is almost been a month should i held him now?

11/23/09  03:57pm

LAZYGUY123
View Profile

Message To: Gatorboy   In reference to Message Id: 2098010

Taming a gator

For the most part get him use to being handled. Try to get him out carefully without cause you or him any injury. Tape his mouth shut when handling. I always keep mine taped. Eventually he will become use to being handled and wont fight you for the most part. I won’t say that he will be tame because I have seen the nicest animals bite so I never say never but for the most part he should be calm when handled.

11/25/09  04:50pm

Gatorboy
View Profile

Message To: LAZYGUY123   In reference to Message Id: 2098851

Taming a gator

ok thanks for that i just want him to clam down

11/25/09  05:22pm

Russell55
View Profile

Message To: Gatorboy   In reference to Message Id: 2098872

Taming a gator

The reason that your gator runs/hides/struggles may be that he doesn’t know you well enough yet. Remember that these guys are pretty smart and recognize individual people’s faces. He has had 5 years with his previous owner but only a few weeks with you. I think that once he starts to associate you with his feeding and care he will probably begin to calm down and accept you in his new world but it will take some time.
Spending time in his presence, maybe sitting close by while reading a book or something, so he gets used to seeing you in an nonthreatening way might be one approach.

11/27/09  10:21am

Simbaah777
View Profile

Message To: Russell55   In reference to Message Id: 2099340

Taming a gator

All reptiles run and hide when in open spaces its natural instinct to keep from getting eaten in the wild for smaller reptiles. Its better to calm them as babys/hatchlings. what I did was sit mine on my lap or chest and watch Tv with him and hold him alot and give him freedom to just let the gator sit there as well to get used to you or let him sit next to you on the couch for a while each day they eventually get used to it, they say you cant calm a dwarf caiman but I had one that was very mean and eventually it stopped bitting or trying to bite or struggle all together. Gators are ussually way more calm anyways and easier to work with but they do get more scared than caiman. But remember its not a kitten or a puppy and will never be exactly that type of a pet but you can come a long way in working with them and being patient....... the gator took me a week to calm, the caiman took a whole year.

02/11/10  05:15am

Gator.retic
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah777   In reference to Message Id: 2122396

Taming a gator

I’ve raised an owned gators for over 20yrs an all I can tell you is with alligators its all about patience an respect they require a great deal of time unless you just want to have one as a viewable pet but their are extremely intelligent an very vocal animals an time spent talking to an handling will calm them down in a few years depending upon the animals disposition but always rember its an alligator an apex predator in its environment an no mater how calm,tame or friendly it seams it can lashout an bite at any given moment so learn his body language an always be cautions but by all means don’t be afraid or give up they take persistence to build a relationship with an regardless of what some might say their not natural man eaters or killing machines in fact I’ve only ever been biten by small hatchlings an a few juveniles in 20yrs an that’s prety good since I have many scars from dogs an most what were called friendly family dogs at that! So take your time an enjoy you’ve got a long time together anywhere from 40 to 80yrs! :-)

04/02/11  03:22pm

Philosopher
View Profile

Message To: Gatorboy   In reference to Message Id: 2098010

Taming a gator

Hi I am thinking about buying a gater in the next year or two and I was wondering about if you can train a gator for easy handling like you would with a snake so if you don’t mind if anybody replies could you let me know what they say? How much does it cost for food per month. thank you for taking the time to read this my email is james..edu

10/06/15  08:38pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area