Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Tinnydieu   CelticTigeress   Tinnydieu   Tinnydieu   Simbaah   Simbaah   Rat snake lover   Tinnydieu   Tinnydieu   Simbaah   Tinnydieu   Tinnydieu   Simbaah   Tinnydieu   Rat snake lover   Gustave   Gator4sale   Bam   Simbaah   Servc   Reptileplus   Boomslangviper   Boomslangviper   Simbaah777   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Tinnydieu
View Profile

How high should the water be for baby caiman?

I’ve realized that when i have my water too high he doesnt seem to like going into the water but when its shorter its always in there 24/7 all the time. He’s also not eating ever since i changed his enclosure a little bit. Any advice?

02/07/08  09:46pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1614589

you know I try to be patient, and I try to be understanding I try to offer advice.. you hav a caiman already you ask questions when evidently you did NO research and I am polite I try and help, only to note a day later your looking for ANOTHER friggen Caiman and then THIS Post, A your taking up the bloody forum whn you can keep it on one post and B it seems you didnt look into th responsibility of Caiman care and proper husbandry, WHAT in Hecks name were you thinking?? did you not realize the responsibility did you not research to find out WHAT is involved in care? your questioning proper diet!?!?! thats LEVEL 1 REASEARCH!!!!!!!! That is a question considered BEFORE purchase, and now with the water?? Why the heck do you want a second caiman when you cannot even take care of the first one!?!?!?! Crocs stress when things are changed, water cleaning and environment in general especially young ones, personally I think you should find a home for your first Caiman, get something easier to care for and research...given questions you hav asked I do not think your ready I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt but .... ~shakes head~ Poor lil guy

My advice go to your library its this public place where books are stored... and read up on proper husbandry....research it and pray that your poor animal dosnt die whil your in the "learning and not quite researched process"

dont sit here and tell me you researched either, if you had you would not be asking all the questions you have asked... I guess I will help because I cant see an animal suffer...but dont get a second till you can take care of the first without needing to ask BASIC husbandry questions

First... go to a vet, if it still is not eating there is a problem a BIG problem, check your temperature of the water and basking area, chang in environment can cause difficulties, as for water watr level should be deep enough for the animal to fully submerge itsself and comfortably swim around... how big is the tank?? does he have room to turn around fully?? you need to find a vet that will look at him..and please dont say you dont know where one is, thats one of th rsponsibile things to check for BEFORE getting an animal....

Internet husbandry as well, google is a WONDERFUL thing

02/07/08  10:10pm

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1614634

well for some reason he doesnt like swimming, he has enough space to turn around and he also does have enough water to submerge itself. the water temp is about 25 degrees. i dont think there should be anything wrong with it. maybe its just not hungry, its been 3 days. mayb im just over reacting.

02/07/08  10:16pm

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1614648

i did read all that stuff but everyone site i search from google are giving me different answers so i want to ask here and see what answers i get. just find it a little odd because he use to love the water now he never goes in whole way just half his body in.

02/07/08  10:19pm

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1614653

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT 25 degrees is way to low, it should be about 70 to 80 degrees with room temps at least 60 or more, no wonder the caiman wont eat, they dont get appetites under 60 ro 70 degrees and they cant digest thier food at those temps, 25 degrees would cause you caiman to go into a state of hibernation, actuall probly worse cuz they need more heat than alligators. Please get those temps up before your caiman dies....... BY THE WAY, YES CAIMAN ARE MORE COMFORTABLE IN SHALLOW WATERS BUT IT MUST BE DEEP ENOUGH FOR THEM TO BE FULLY SUBMERGED, WARM YOUR CAIMAN UP......THAT WATER IS TO COLD

02/08/08  12:16am

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1614807

I ment to say 80 or more for room temps, basking area should be 90 degrees, water should be around 75 to 80 degrees....... You do realize that 25 degrees is below freezing right? DO you want a caiman popscicle????

02/08/08  12:19am

Rat snake lover
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1614812

what the heck were you thinking he mucst be a retard becouse 25 degrees would you live in that no

02/08/08  07:26am

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Rat snake lover   In reference to Message Id: 1614943

no dude you got me all wrong man. im canadian so go by celcius which is equivilent to about 75-80 farenhiet. but ever since i got it nice basking area its been chilling there ever since. never likes to touch the water. my water is about 2 inches high, perhaps it doesnt like it that high?

02/08/08  12:01pm

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1615139

he doesnt really know how to swim ether, he kicks once and a while but go in for like a 2 second dip and just comes back on land. he does float that well ether, he still is learning how to balance in water.

02/08/08  12:04pm

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1615141

Sorry, thats a lot better, but anyways, all caiman can swim but dwarf caiman rather like to sit with thier head poking out of the shallow water and sit some more and just sit and sit and move every now and then, shallow water is good but they should be able to submerge if they want to, they like alot of land too, they like to perch on rocks and be in the shallows since they live in shallow creeks and river edges in south America and burrow in the ground........

02/09/08  12:14am

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1616046

now he’s been improving, he floats on the water and spends alot more time on the water now. But i think he has trouble disgesting his food, although this is a little off topic. He refused to eat the meal worms im feeding him for about 5 days now. i wonder if its because he doesnt like it or its taking him extremely slow to digest the food i fed him on monday which is now saturday.

02/09/08  02:28am

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1616124

He hasn’t took a crap during those days also, so im just wondering if theres anything i could try to help my caiman disgest faster and eat on the regular. Any advice or info will be much appreciated. Sorry for all these questions but i just wanna make sure everything is correct and hearing from more experienced breeders.

02/09/08  02:42am

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1616127

Dont feed to many worms, it can make him constipated, I know cuz mine wouldn’t have a bowl movement in 2 weeks a year ago so I took him off worms and his constipation was gone.

02/09/08  11:32am

Tinnydieu
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1616352

ya he refuses to eat worms from now on. i wonder if i do a mix of crickets and worms would be starting eating them agian? and if he still doesnt decide to eat what other advice can you give me simbaah. i really appreciate your posts.

02/10/08  03:19am

Rat snake lover
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1617406

oh sorry i guess that is better i am glad he is improving his skills

02/10/08  08:38pm

Gustave
View Profile

Message To: Rat snake lover   In reference to Message Id: 1618629

JIMOB GINGUGUA!!!!! YOU ARE A BAD KEEPER!!!! NO MORE CROCS IN HOME!!!!!! NO MORE CROCS FOR ANYBODY!!! BAD PEOPLE YOU SEE CROCS IN RIVERS!!!!!!!!!! HUGUJUITO!!!!!!!!!! GERTUOJAU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02/10/08  09:59pm

Gator4sale
View Profile

Message To: Tinnydieu   In reference to Message Id: 1614589

your water should be in the 70’ about 2-3 in, they spend more time on land than water, i have have many i caught the largest wild in the US it was 7 1/2 ft, have only had 2 tame ones,

03/01/08  03:14am

Bam
View Profile

Message To: Gator4sale   In reference to Message Id: 1643387

I’d certainly listen to Celtic Princess before Gator4sale when it comes to Caiman. But that’s me. I have a hard time listening to anyone who says they caught "many" caiman in the wild in the United States and especially a "7 1/2 foot" caiman, in the wild, in the United States and that he had more than one caiman that was "tame" that he caught wild, in the United States. But that’s just me. If you have no idea what you’re doing, don’t do it. It’s not good for you. It’s not good for the animal. It’s not good for the environment.

On the other hand, if you want to learn a little something about caiman, just type "Caiman" or "Caiman Hunter" into google and search your little heart out.

But don’t keep asking until you find the one person who agrees with you. If ten people say that you’re a horse, it’s time to buy a bit and saddle.

03/01/08  08:47am

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Bam   In reference to Message Id: 1643478

LOL I never caught that before....... How can you catch wild caiman in the USA when they are from South America LOL

03/01/08  02:41pm

Servc
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1643721

you can find speckled caimans in Florida in the wild from people releasing their pets and it starting a breading population.

03/06/08  01:30pm

Reptileplus
View Profile

Message To: Bam   In reference to Message Id: 1643478

i don’t guess i know, i worked with gator control in fl for over 12 yrs, there is a large breeding population i fl for wild caiman, i have caught dozens 6ft and one over 7 1/2 ft,
i studied zoology and herpetology, have worked with animals for over 40 yrs, i know i don’t guess,
caiman like dirty water small ditches and ponds, very shallow water, they are very aggressive and will chase large gators out of there water holes,

05/23/09  06:59am

Boomslangviper
View Profile

Message To: Reptileplus   In reference to Message Id: 2009694

i have a caimen in my kitchen awesome little thing we got a baby gate up in the kitchen doorway it does its thing we do ours i hold it and trys to bite me but with understanding it is a wild animal i worked at a zoo I’ve been chased by these things if you r going to get one look up on it first and it is like having a 3 year old all the time with sharp teeth i love him though his name is cuddly he is really cool not many Pol can say they have a really small gator roaming there kitchen and at least make sure his heat is up

11/13/09  03:06am

Boomslangviper
View Profile

Message To: Reptileplus   In reference to Message Id: 2009694

i have a caimen in my kitchen awesome little thing we got a baby gate up in the kitchen doorway it does its thing we do ours i hold it and trys to bite me but with understanding it is a wild animal i worked at a zoo I’ve been chased by these things if you r going to get one look up on it first and it is like having a 3 year old all the time with sharp teeth i love him though his name is cuddly he is really cool not many Ppl can say they have a really small gator roaming there kitchen and at least make sure his heat is up

11/13/09  03:07am

Simbaah777
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1614634

TO CELTIC

Wow Your still on here Celtic and aint changed a bit, its been 2 years since Ive been on here.......

02/11/10  05:22am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah777   In reference to Message Id: 2122399

TO CELTIC

Eh not really hon, Had surgery recently been down and out since May 09 due to severe injuries that nearly killed me then top it off with moving to a new place with more acreage (Means more critters yay!!) but I am not nearly as active as I used to be, I think my post on there was fairly old

02/18/10  06:12pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area