Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Alligators-Crocodiles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Iseeu   Simbaah   Iseeu   CelticTigeress   Iseeu   Simbaah   Iseeu   Simbaah   Lovelyvee   JEFF QUARLES   Fangbite   Gatorbite  

Member  Message

Iseeu
View Profile

Please help: sick alligator

I have a 1 and a half year old american alligator that has been vomiting or attempting to vomit since this morning. He seems very lethargic and dry heaving appears painful. Any suggestions?? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

01/31/08  01:35am

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Iseeu   In reference to Message Id: 1602640

What have you been feeding him? To many gold fish can cause problems because of the oily scales, he could have worms as well, I gave mine garlic oil by mouth with a dropper and it helped him greatly, garlic kills bacteria, worms, and other germs. is his water clean? I don’t know the details but I would notkeep turtles with gators cuz turtles soil the water with ALOT of bacteria, I dont know if you keep yours with a turtle or not but I was just saying that just in case. I Hope other people on the forum will post with more insight becuase you said he is a more than a year old, I would expect that from hatchlings, well he also could be vomiting up fur from mice or something his stomach doesnt agree with or maybe there was to much bacteria in the water and it made him sick, water should be changed frequently cuz bacteria will build up wether you have a turtle or not. Your best bet is to talk to a vet to be sure of what the problem is, Also is his heating good, alligators can’t properly digest food if the temps are below 70 or 60 degrees, like I said to much gold fish are bad for gators and they need a variety of different foods, they need actual prey with bones for calcium, they need cricketts, pinkys, mice and some worms can be poisinous to gators, mazuri croc diet is a good supplement but dont use as a main source of food. I hope this info helps a little but you need to find out more from other sources, dont just go on what I said, try and talk to a vet and get more feed back from others on this forum.......Peace

01/31/08  05:23pm

Iseeu
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1603399

I appreciate your response. I can’t find anyone in the area I live in to look at him ( as far as a vet). I change his water once a week or whenever it starts looking cloudy. I use a large filter system that can usually keep up for a week. I saw a past comment from you to another member about using garlic oil. I went and got some today and gave it to him. How often should I give it and how long do you think I should give it to take affect?? Is force feeding after so many days an option?? I have had him since he was a hatchling so I hate to give up on him.
His diet has consisted of crickets and fish. I couldn’t get him to eat pinkies for some reason. I also give him turtle pellets.

01/31/08  07:41pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Iseeu   In reference to Message Id: 1603655

Time to step in....

First and foremost what temperature do you maintain the water at? the basking sight?? Fish ar not only bad because of the oils... but the fact that fish causes B-1 deficiency Fish contain Thimanese this not only breaks down calcium in the fish, but the Thiamin also breaks down the Vitamin B-1 making it unvailable to the Croc... this can cause long term problems.. alteration in the diet is a must, hes a yearling? and you give him pinkies? he should be eating furries or you can try a small chicken leg, your dpriving him of his calcium and his vitamin B which could b a major factor in your Crocs problem... your dieting is wrong... try using a live furry... movement may help.. take the crickets and fish OUT!! they are fine OCCASIONALLY but not all the time, he will get hungry enough to eat THEN try a mouse or a pinky or a chicken leg.... fish should only be offered as a treat as should crickets, they offer littl nutritional value and your going to end up stunting his growth or causing long term effects that could nd up killing him..Metabolic Bone disease for example because he isnt getting the calcium needed deformities swelling CRF ESRD then BAM Death as evrything shuts down...

If Crocs stress (cleaning issues handling) if they swallow a stone that blocks, this can cause lethargic behavior... low improper temps and improper lighting can cause the symptoms your describing... improper diet... improper water (you say you clean so less likely) to small an enclosure, to noisey an environment, change in routine...I would consider your calcium phosperus rations, your lighting, and the temp... if its not warm enough and the croc cannot properly digest..again same symptoms/signs, this will also slow him down and slow digestion and make them sick... its hard to diagnose a problem without seeing the animal..take a good look at him for me does he have any odd growths or discoloration on his scales or around his mouth? anything seem odd about his appearance? the more info the better

01/31/08  08:42pm

Iseeu
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1603748

Nothing seems wrong with him appearence wise. He looks like a very healthy alligator. His skin looks healthy no lesions, sores nothing. Nothing around his head or mouth. This happened very suddenly. One day he was normal in the morning, begging and barking for his breakfast and happy to see me as usual. Then I came home after 7 hours at work and there was partially digested food in the water (a fish) and he was dry heaving and scratching at his mouth with his back foot. His water temprature stays between 84 and 88 degrees all the time. We had a power outage and he was without light the night before but the water temprature never cooled below 85. That has been the only abnormal thing in the 1 year and 2 months I have had him. The fish thing makes sense. As for feeding him pinkies, I tried feeding him them on and off (live) as he was growing. He always refused to eat them. I never tried a fuzzy because he refused the pinkies. Its been turtle food, crickets and fish. He refused to eat pieces of chicken I tried to give him to change up his diet a month ago.
As of this moment, he refuses to eat since whatever happened while I was gone yesterday. He sleeps all the time, I have to move him to make sure he’s alive. When he does wake up he stays awake but doesn’t make much attempt to move around. All I’ve been doing is trying to make him more comfortable. I have also given him garlic oil today. That’s all I can tell you at this time. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

01/31/08  09:52pm

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Iseeu   In reference to Message Id: 1603862

The power outage might be the cause, he could have gotten off of his ussuall routine, was it cold in the room? Are you in a cold state? Yes as Celtic further elaborated in more detail, to many fish can wreck his system, as far as garlic, I would give him a little daily and then wait a week and do it once more. When I did it I had seen the worms moving in the water but after the garlic they came out with his waste dead skinny and shriveled up so that worked. Try mazuri crocodilian diet, you can buy alot for just 15 dollars at (nature coast exotics) I’m not advertising, just helping, again it is not a main source of food, just a supplement, my guy is addicted to the pellets, loves em. But to be honest from what I read in your last post seems really bad, I hope your gator pulls through this, Ive had both of mine quit eating for a week or two in the past but they were still moving around, check the (room tempurature) thats just as vital as the water temps. You can also try other species of fish that are better for gators than gold fish, they are more expensive to buy but more healthy. I wouldn’t try to force feed, that will stress him out, but one thing I do sometimes is take a squirt bottle and gently squirt thier jaws to trigger thier feeding reflex, Now if he goes without eating he can survive for a while, sometimes they can be stubborn, the black out seemed significant since you said this never happened before, maybe the room temp was to cold or maybe his routine was thrown off........Peace I hope he pulls through

02/01/08  01:45am

Iseeu
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1604138

Day 3: Well not much has changed. I gave him the garlic oil yesterday. I noticed the morning after the power outtage that his water was still at 85 degrees. And we do live in a cold state (PA) but our house didn’t lose much heat that night. It was still in the 70’s when I got up in the morning. So I’m assuming that he didn’t get to cold. Still not interested in food. He sleeps alot but body wise he still seems fine (no changes to his skin, eyes, etc.) I need advice on a emergency aid I got from a pet store. Its called Flukers Repa Aid Critical Care Formula for insectivore/carnivores. It states that it provides energy and fluid support to sick or stressed reptiles and amphibians. Its a powder that you mix with water and give it orally with a syringe. It contains powdered egg products, wheat flour, protein, and so on. In the instruction booklet there is a whole list of reptiles you can give it to including savannah monitor lizards. Nothing about alligators. The pet store didn’t seem to no much about it but sold it. Go figure. Has anyone heard of this or used it?? Should I try it?? I appreciate everyones advice and support. Hopefully with all your help I can get him to pull through. Thank you everyone.

02/02/08  01:12am

Simbaah
View Profile

Message To: Iseeu   In reference to Message Id: 1605524

It shouldn’t hurt the gator, there is also this liquid formula that most pet stores sell called T-rex I think or something like that for lizards, comes in small black bottle, Its not made specifically for gators but it works too, It has vitamin B and other vitimans and is also made to stimulate appettite, just ask them if they have anything that stimulates appettite and gives vitamin nurishment to reptiles. Always read directions on any supplement cuz some say only give one drop or two, I had this other stuff for monitors that cleans the whole system out and helps with the lethargic thing, forgot the name of it but it helps too. I have given the T-rex formula with a dropper to crocodilians and it helps the same. But also look into getting him on some mazuri, like I said you can buy it at the nature coast exotics website, its a great supplement and a filler, Your gator may be lacking some vitamins or if he is sick vitamins will help him get better, you said he was eating basically nothing but fish, after time it messes up thier digestive system and can make gators sick and even kill them, I would definanitly order some mazuri and use what you just bought and see what happens, or could try taking him out of the water and putting him in a plastic storage box under a heat light for a few hours to bask and then put him back in the water and he might be hungry then, does your gator have a basking area in his set up, a place where he can get out up the water and lay down under a heat light, they seriously need to be able to get out of the water for hours at a time to bask, thats how they get an appetite and thats how they digest thier food and thats how they grow, a UVB light would be good if you dont have one, a red light.......Peace

02/02/08  01:20pm

Lovelyvee
View Profile

Message To: Simbaah   In reference to Message Id: 1605978

hi... i realize that this message is a few years old but was wondering how everything turned out? did yer gator get better? what ended up working the best? im having similar problem with mine.

05/10/12  09:02am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Lovelyvee   In reference to Message Id: 2265894

I think most of these people are long gone..

06/11/12  06:13pm

Fangbite
View Profile

Sick alligator help

I will help. take it to the nearest exotic reptile vet QUICKLY! SICK REPTILES CAN DIE WITHIN 20 DAYS. they will help

02/05/14  02:01pm

Gatorbite
View Profile

My dog shayla tells your alligator to get well soon!

03/09/14  01:49pm

Back to Alligators-Crocodiles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area